F430 manual vs Speciale appreciation | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F430 manual vs Speciale appreciation

Discussion in '360/430' started by sunyatsen, Dec 17, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    It´s like saying nobody wants the muscle cars of the 60´s today. I think there will always be a demand for a screaming V8s or V12s but the demand also depends on the gasoline availability and the possibility to drive the cars on public roads.

2. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Time will tell.
    I think we’re at a real pivot point in the development of vehicles and even our attitudes towards them.
    Like almost all of my friends, I couldn’t wait to get a drivers license ....went to do the written test the week of my 16th birthday.
    My nieces and nephews couldn’t care less and act like they may not even get a license until they’re in their 20s. Are these kids going to want guzzling, polluting muscle cars? They’ve grown up with a stigma against them ...all they talk about is saving the planet, sustainability etc.

I’m not sure history will be as reliable a predictor of auto desirability as it has been.

catdog and Manda racing like this.
  3. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    You don’t need a mass produced kit. All you need are factory parts. A clutch pedal set, stick shift mechanism, the trans doesn’t change....replace the F1 brain boxes, remove paddles, change the steering wheel surround, a lot of other bits and pieces and adjustments down below, disconnect the upshift/downshift light in the dash, someone that knows what their doing can do it in about 30 hours labor. Probably $15k in parts.

AandSC likes this.
  4. Gooselander

Gooselander Karting

Jul 27, 2020
    ShineKen likes this.
  5. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    you can make an f1 transmission 430 into a manual transmission 430. the price delta for this after market conversion is nearly the same as a factory MT.

so at a certain point, if it is simply of the enjoyment of rowing the gears, all of the f1's can be converted ad nauseum....hence the limited number of originals will lose its price impact.

6. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    and, i forgot to say....the large number of speciales currently on offer, likely represents the general notion that car prices are too high....and people are trying to get out while they can do at a profit.

but this is an apples to oranges comparison on several levels....

7. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    On BaT, multiple recent factory gated f430s selling for >300k, but all converted f430s were< 200k.

I think it’s safe to say you won’t lose any money converting a 430, you can always sell it at a price that, at minimum, includes the additional conversion cost.

However, as long as there are people still willing to pay for classiche certification, pass on a car due to stick-on shields, or inquire about the whereabouts of the oem Maglite and battery charger, factory gated cars will carry a big premium.

Gooselander and WillskiGT like this.
  8. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    This is not the case at all.

Converted cars are generally worth somewhere around the midpoint of the difference between a factory manual and F1 gearbox car, if all specs/mileage are the same.

For example:

2006 Red/tan F430 Coupe F1 with 25k miles, $130k

2006 Red/tan F430 Coupe 6-spd with 25k miles, $310k

Approximate 2006 red/tan F430 Coupe 6-spd conversion with 25k miles, ($130k + $310k)/ 2 = $220k

Factory MT trade for a significant premium over converted cars.

LorenzoOO likes this.
  9. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    ok.
    for the moment.....

as much as i like the 430, anybody paying 310k for a factory manual needs to reassess their priorities.
    and, anybody paying 90k more for a factory manual than a conversion also needs to reassess.....

btw, does anybody realize that the manual in a 430 is the same basic unit, with reinforcements, that started life in the 355? its not as if this is an ideal manual gearbox for this engine with the higher torque...

10. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Frankly, I never thought that the 430 was that good looking. This idea that it was "the last of" as a reason for high prices is silly to me. You can still a manual in a GT3 which is a far superior car to the 430 and I am not a Porsche guy. If you are looking at more collectable manuals, I would much rather look at a V12 which is far more special than the 430. The "manual premium" is just one more bubble to burst. Rarity in a relatively produced model does not always mean better just that fewer desired it at the time.

11. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I’m definitely a Porsche guy, and I agree a gt3 will outperform the 430 in every way, but, that doesn’t take anything away from the 430. Both in f1, and especially gated, it feels special, sounds amazing, looks amazing (imo), and has not, nor will be replicated by any other manufacturer since it’s time. Porsches are awesome, but they lack the drama, the v8 bark and scream, and are too refined. I’m obviously biased though.

AandSC likes this.
  12. Ffre92

Ffre92 Formula Junior

May 26, 2014
    NY
    I guess cars that were unloved at time of release seem to gravitate towards each other

Image Unavailable, Please Login

catdog, LorenzoOO and AandSC like this.
  13. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    355 gearbox:

F430 gearbox:
    Completely different architecture :)

LorenzoOO, Kavir and ross like this.
  14. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Speciales popped

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    mwstewart likes this.
  16. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    Dino is beautiful to me with a great view from the driver's seat . F430 not so much. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I always felt that the 430 did not share the grace or flow of lines as well as the 360 or 458.

17. WillskiGT

WillskiGT Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Factory originals will always command a premium over conversions. Period.

Most of these conversions are using non-factory parts as multiple parts (gearbox turret, outside gearbox controls, and clutch/brake pedals to name a few) have been NLA from Ferrari for years. I have also seen plenty of corner cutting to get the e-diff to work right (in some cars it is not working properly at all).

It's like the replicas that have been built for 250 GTO owners who want to go racing. They are identical to the factory cars and provide the exact same driving experience, but it wasn't built by Ferrari so is worth $1-2MM vs. $50MM+.

If you think $310k for a factory manual 430 is high (people have recently paid >400), you definitely shouldn't look at factory gated 599 prices...

The gearbox in the 430 is virtually identical to the unit found in the 360, not the 355.

18. ross

Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    yes, i already agreed that i mispoke on the origins of the 430 gearbox.
    no i am not in the market to buy any 430 manual or 599 manual, factory or after market.
    i think the whole craze for paying up for these is just stupid.
    plenty of MT cars in the ferrari line up to choose from that had the MT as the only option. i have a few of them ;)

19. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
    I agree with what you say about original vs conversions but, how can it be that these multi-million dollar “original” cars only have about 50%, or less, of the parts that they came out of the factory with? Take any 1960’s model that was restored for example. How original are they? Many have only a chassis and a few body panels that are original.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Senna_94

Senna_94 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014
  21. LorenzoOO

LorenzoOO Formula Junior

Sep 21, 2017
    Italia, US NE
    Full Name:
    Lorenzo LaMattina
  22. Senna_94

Senna_94 Rookie

Aug 3, 2014
    Hi yip you are right but someone going to get a very good car

23. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    #74 catdog, Jun 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Haha, no the GT3 manual is NOT superior to the manual F430 in any way shape or form. Ask me how I know? I have both, just acquired a 991.2 GT3 touring and have had an F430 converted to manual by EAG using one of their last OEM set of parts back right at start of pandemic. You can't double clutch the GT3 because of the flat foot shift software used in the manual GT3. In contrast the manual F430 is an absolute delight to rev match manually with an amazing throttle response and great shifter action. Drove both today back to back and manual F430 is most fun you can have I a manual short of a Carrera GT.

Finally for all those mocking conversion manual F430, here is a nugget to munch on. There are no DME reports on F430 like there are on modern manual Porsches which tell you if the engine has been overrevved because of a missed downshift.

Soooo that's one huge aspect where the converted F430 is better than a manual from the factory. How so? Well I know for a fact that my F1 F430 at 22k miles had been protected by software from overeving and money shift and since conversion at 22k miles I have had ownership and know it hasn't been overrevved or had a bad missed shift that could shorten engine life. You don't have such assurance when you buy a manual F430 from the factory when a DME engine overrev report is not available or that data is simply not recorded by ECU anywhere.

Ffre92 likes this.
  24. catdog

catdog Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2010
    Thank you for letting Damien/Car guys review your car, loved that recent video. He still doesn't think it's more fun/better than his 458... love their channel

I also enjoy watching Harry's garage review of the manual F430 especially with his historical perspectives on the car at its release.

Gooselander likes this.