Anyone remember the guy who designed & machined custom 550/575 exhaust manifolds? | FerrariChat

Anyone remember the guy who designed & machined custom 550/575 exhaust manifolds?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by DarkShines, Dec 9, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DarkShines

DarkShines Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2014
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Lee James
    I can’t for the life of me remember where his thread is, but am interested in a set of his manifolds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
  3. DarkShines

DarkShines Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2014
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Lee James
    F456M likes this.
  4. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I need one myself. I have wasted so much on exhaust for the 456 and 550. It is better to buy this and be happy and not change over and over.

5. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Will these mate up to stock or HyperFlo cats?

6. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    They can be used with all original center and rear exhaust. It is the manifolds and catalyzers that are different and must be used together. The standard or sport catalyzers will not fit. His rear mufflers and center sections (very good) will also fit in place of the originals. The rear mufflers are silent or very loud. More than the stock and 575 HTC mufflers. The the good thing is that oi can replace things bit by bit. There are videos here tooif you search. Once you go that, you never go back !

7. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  8. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Daniel, since you posted the link to your videos, I had to hear them all over again!!

9. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I had the entire system installed this fall and all I can say it WOW. I think every owner has commented similarly. Totally transforms the car

F456M likes this.
  10. atlshaver

atlshaver Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What exhaust did you come from? I have Tubi loud with Larini Systems X-Pipe and am trying to understand the sound difference. Am very interested in making this switch.

F456M likes this.
  11. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Fabio just started producing 456 and 456M straight/H pipes, too.

Dave rocks and F456M like this.
  12. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    And 599 6-1 headers too!

Dave rocks likes this.
  13. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I just had Larini boxes added and they were a modest upgrade in sound from the factory boxes. Everything else was stock, including straight pipes. I believe they had a louder version but I didn’t care for that particular sound

14. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Hi Atlshaver. When you hear a Ferrari V12 with 2x 6-1 headers and quite open exhaust furter back, it is like you hear all twelve cylinders behind the car. Like an orchestra with many instruments. With the stock 4x 3-1 headers, is sounds more like The sound from four pipes because that is actually what you get from the engine into the two catalyzers. It sounds different. And because with the 6-1 header design, all twelve cylinders have exactly the same length from each cylinder to the rear mufflers. It seems (alt least to me) that this reduce the chance if drone/resonance with fairly open and loud mufflers. The term resonance can be googled, and it means that two tones are almost identical, but not exactly. You get the exact same noise when you have a boat with two engines and one is running 10-40 rpm. more or less than the other. It is a terrible noise. That is why boat engine manufacturers have build a system that connects all engines to operate at the exact same rpms with the touch of a button. I believe the two front 3-1 headers make this kind of resonance more noticable, since these have a longer connections pipe into the common catalyzers for each side of the engine.

15. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    On Fabio's complete system, the H pipes that replace the center muffler/resonator have two balance tubes between the straight pipes to reduce resonance without disrupting flow.

16. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    It could be interesting to put a double H pipe on a car with the old manifolds to see if it could take the drone away. When I had my Hyperflow cats + OEM center or the newe «Xpipe» by Quicksilver. + non-valved Capristo rear mufflers, the drone was so terrible, it was impossible to drive the car and sound was very low quality. The buyer of the Capristos put them on a car with std exhaust and there was no drone as far as he told me. I don’t have any drone at all now with the same set-up and the original modified rear mufflers... These things are a matter of sound and wave sciense! Not many can really explain what causes the drone by looking at the design of the exhaust. I reacently had a drive in a friend’s Porsche Panamera V6 who just put Supersprint rear mufflers on it. There was a loud exhaust with drone around 2000 rpm. It really destroy the whole pleasure of the car. After an houre, I got a headake. Same when I put a 3 inch pipe in place of the single catalyzer on my 1991 Maserati Biturbo V6 2,8. I got a headake. Later, I Keplers it with two separate pipes to each muffler from each turbo, and more brrrrrom sound and no headake. Funny but true.