308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased | Page 6 | FerrariChat

308 GTS #26355 1978 model / 16k Original Miles - Purchased

Discussion in '308/328' started by lm2504me, Dec 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bertrand328

bertrand328 Formula 3

Jun 1, 2015
    France
    Full Name:
    Bertrand
    !?
    There was ANY opinion in my remark

2. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    No need to feel bad. Every one has their opinions or way of doing things.
    I drive my Ferrari every weekend in my county to a Cars and Coffee gathering in Pismo.. It keeps all the mechanicals in working condition. I have previously owned 4 other 308s. I used my 83 as a daily driver for 2 years when I lived near San Clemente, CA. I drove my Dino 246 GT and Testarossa all the time and on business trips to southern California from San Luis Obispo. Now I have a 911 and M3 to drive often. I start on my 60k mile 74 Alfa next year for my wife.
    I am nearing retirement and wanted a 308 to keep and which would could get to Platinum level. The previous owner was looking for a buyer who would do this. I got a sizeable discount on the price of my 308 by promising to do this and I got it done in less than a year. I enjoy working on my Ferrari. I do all the mechanical / electrical work. I also like looking at it in very pristine condition. Yes, I baby it. All the others I had needed some interior / exterior or mechanical work. I drove them all the time.
    In the end, the owner of any Ferrari is only enjoying their car how they want to and eventually it will go to another owner that will enjoy it the way they want to.
    No attacks are needed. Sticks and stones...… To each their own. All is good.:)

Oh yeah, MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!!

3. Portofino

Portofino Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2011
    Yorkshire UK / Switzerland/ Liguria ( Italy )
    Full Name:
    Portofino
    What a great post to read on Christmas Day .Thankyou for posting it all .
    I suspect the ownership “ enjoyment “ is a combination of % time driving and % time restoring / fixing / maintaining as well .Theres no hard and right correct ratio .
    These cars are getting on for 40 years ( mines a 208 GT4 from 1977 ) ,so taking care of them properly is gonna take up a large % of the ownership experience time wise .

Sure we can all quote the cliche “ they need to be driven “ and most owners do in better weather , but let’s not kid ourselves these 70 ,s cars are poor by today’s standards of outright performance.
    They are also week regarding corrosion protection ,making winter driving for most a no no .

It’s all about originality these days and returning to OEM .

Reminds me of a Patek Philippe watch ad strap line “ you never actually own a Patek Philippe you merely look after it for the next generation “

So if you sub the watch for the 70.,s 308 or any classic Ferrari that strapline kinda sums it up .

Merry Christmas.

lm2504me likes this.
  4. Sobergreg

Sobergreg Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 8, 2016
    I don’t agree with a single admission That you conveyed about the 308 not one I just hope that you’re not gonna be another guy that lets the car enjoy you as you pamper in life ,instead of you enjoying the car,If you do the right thing they’re very expensive to maintain go enjoy the car life’s too short

5. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    miketuason likes this.
  6. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    mcimino likes this.
  7. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I paid 162.00 shipped for a SUN MDT / SDT distributor tester Flashbulb to LED conversion. Gets rid of 600 vdc supply and old failing flashtube.
    It takes some time and simple soldering skills to install.
    It works great. I used it to set my spare distributor with R1 to fire rear bank and R2 to fire fwd bank. I will replace my rear distributor with it in mid - March.
    Working too many hours for the next 4 weeks.

Advance matches factory distributor advance curve drawing.This will ensure I have one advance curve for all cylinders.

View attachment 2666660 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  8. Eforg23

Eforg23 Karting

Oct 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Eric Forgione
    Gorgeous car. Enjoyed reading this thread! I have a 78’ #24727.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Amazing!

Not sure I follow on the Points conversion as the cap only has four wires??

11. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I will replace the rear bank distributor with the modified one and have the R1 points wired to the rear coil and R2 points wired to the front coil. The front distributor will only distribute the spark to the fwd bank. The advance curve for the firing of both coils will be solely based on the rear bank modified distributor mechanical advance curve. The modified distributor advance curve matches factory service bulletin.
    No more fwd vs rear bank advance curve. Should make for a smoother engine. I do not expect any power gain, just smoothness. I will still have two distributors.

12. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #137 lm2504me, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    I finally got to changing out my original lower door gaskets.
    The ones I received from the Ferrari dealer were not even close to the the originals and could not be installed.
    I purchased the new ones from Mr. Fiat via Ebay. The gasket is made in Italy. OEM style.
    I used the super weatherstrip adhesive to attach to the door.
    Lessons learned:
    1. Use a scrubbing pad (Greeny) to remove any residual releasing agent on the rubber side to be attached to the door. I scrubbed the entire rubber side being attached.
    2. Use a very thin coating of the adhesive on the door and rubber strip. Let dry, then attach.

Per the original, I left gaps where the lower door water drain holes exist.
    Bottom photo is of the originals.

Attached Files:

Rosey likes this.
  13. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    350HPMondial and mcimino like this.
  14. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  15. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    After having issues with emission exhaust analyzer tubes for rear bank leaking....
    I have decided to acquire a good new set (done), remove the existing tubes and install 110860 plugs and copper washer to seal the rear bank header ports.
    I will reinstall for preservation judging at Ferrari Concorso San Marino, CA in 2021. Skipping this year due to work calendar conflicting with new Concorso date.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  16. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Lovely thread. Thanks for sharing your quality work and for keeping this car in excellent original condition, well done! Inspired by your endeavors, I just ordered some OEM Legrande cable ties that I didn't knew was still available. These will come handy for my latest Ferrari project.

Best regards Peter

17. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks Peter:)

pshoejberg likes this.
  18. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
  19. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    pshoejberg likes this.
  20. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Dane likes this.
  21. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    #146 lm2504me, Apr 11, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
  22. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    My trunk zipper slider on my 78 GTS trunk cover finally broke. I ordered another zipper slider for a #5 coil zipper with lock.
    I removed the thread from underneath the zipper to install the new slider. I lightly lubed the zipper teeth (coil) with graphite suspended in alcohol. I tested the new slider and it worked great. I used a needle and thread to sew the zipper end. Works great.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Zenobie likes this.
  23. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Jbrauer and 308 milano like this.
  24. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Air box waiting on lid rubber seal. Attached firing order plate from Berlinetta Racing Cars.
    Distributor ready to install. Rotor phased to cap terminals. Advance matches owner's manual and tech bulletin. Only +\- 1 degree per distributor tester for both points.
    I will try the air box first and then do distributor/ wiring changeout. Hopefully, I get the intake bellows, clamps and rubber before next week.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. lm2504me

lm2504me Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Nipomo, CA
    Full Name:
    Richard