Formula E 2019 | FerrariChat

Formula E 2019

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by tatcat, Dec 3, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Preview show just on
    Looks like an interesting season
    First race on the 15th
    Some big name manufacturers
    Felipe Massa driving for team venturi

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    With Porsche and Mercedes-Benz giving up WEC P1 and DTM respectively to concentrate
    on Formula E, it should be telling us that where the money is flowing in racing currently is
    to F-E.

The mere presence of Porsche and Mercedes-Benz at this level is going to raise the stakes
    tremendously and the technology will be going off the scale now as well. It definitely deserves
    watching now with these two powerhouses moving in.

Read also that Porsche is considering bringing in Brendan Hartley for one of their rides. Why not?
    He did stellar work for them in the WEC 919 program.

BHW

william and Jakuzzi like this.
  3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    The cars look great
    I'd like to see more tracks rather than all those street courses
    But I guess that's one of the selling points

william likes this.
  4. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    From what I understand, they cannot realistically run on any high speed tracks, they cannot do high speed, zaps the battery pack too quickly. And with new car setups, no longer swapping cars halfway during race, managing the decline of the battery is the game. Street courses are tight, slow speed (< 140mph). The series is apparently not very popular, they seem to have a hard time giving tickets away much less selling them.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4284060/formula-e-ticket-sales-montreal-auditor-general/

http://en.nhandan.org.vn/sports/item/6918202-motor-racing-formula-e-faces-moment-of-truth-in-season-five.html

5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Get ready for Formula E to explode this season.

With Porsche and Mercedes-Benz ready to spend millions to move their technologies forward. It is
    well known that Mercedes-Benz is in collaboration with Tesla using their battery platform and working
    with the F-1 team at Brackley.

Porsche never gets into any racing situation as a factory where they don't have some sort of an advantage.

Formula One could only wish they had this many manufacturers participating currently. Follow the
    money, it's now flowing to F-E. It's about to get really interesting.

BHW

william and rob lay like this.
  6. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes now it gets interesting and I watch most races on video, even more so this coming season. The biggest and permanent problem is the lack of noise we have come to expect as part of the excitement in motorsport, that is the biggest cause of the lack of spectators.

I have been tempted to go up to Paris to see the race there but at that track unless you have a grandstand seat you can't really see anything so I can't be bothered.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Ran across a Formula E feature on NBCS two nights ago which was a preview for
    the upcoming season.

There was mention of the sound levels and evidently that is something which is going
    to be improved. There wasn't really any detail about this but it is an issue that is being
    addressed evidently.

Perhaps it will be something along the lines of what Fisker did with the Karma when the
    car is engaged in full electric mode emits what sounds like an electric guitar being strummed
    which at first is kind of weird but like everything, you get used to it.

The cars look cool enough with the integrated halo that Formula One will be following
    in due course and plenty of competitive teams and drivers. F-E is an evolving thing and
    while I've never really made a point of watching it live I will this season.

BHW

8. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    It was a well polished preview show. Really seemed to focus more on the teams and personalities than the racing, and for new fans that's not necessarily a bad thing. I wish Indycar would do something at that level of polish.

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Is the copy of show anywhere out there? Our parent has a piece of Formula E. I told detractors last year it would be about the the manufacturers and future, they didn't get it.

10. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Here ya go Rob, in 2 parts

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Not sure why but I had thought the Mercedes-Benz and Porsche were set to enter
    Formula E this season but they're rather coming in next season.

Not sure why the long delay but Porsche trotted out their car at a Porsche event over
    the weekend.

BHW
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    I'm confused...

Was looking forward to seeing the FE race today but could not find it anywhere
    on the channel menu.

What network is carrying it in the U.S.?

Very disappointing.

BHW

13. cockrill

cockrill Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 23, 2008
    Columbia, MO
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Cockrill
    #13 cockrill, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    There is a Formula E channel on YouTube. There's a slight delay (several hours) from the end of the events and when they are posted, though. That's how I watched quali and the race today.

Evidently you can watch the events live using the Fox Sports app. I downloaded it to my phone, but ended up watching on YouTube so I can't say how will the app works.

14. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Didn’t miss much. Still way too standardised to be technically appealing and filled with way too mediocre drivers to be of any human/personality interest.

15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    So it's a FOX thing?

That explains it. We haven't seen a live IMSA race in the Miami market since I don't know
    when due to FOX and their constant nonsense playing around with their race coverage and
    the cockamamy deal IMSA has/had with them.

What a pity but I'm not going to jump through anyone's hoops to watch this.

Will check out the YouTube version, thanks.

BHW

16. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I watched a few races last season and just watched this season's first race (via replay on FS1). With so many constructors and familiar names currently involved, I am intrigued by the series but so far find the racing a bit lackluster and gimmicky (Fanboost and Attack Mode). And yes, my inner Neanderthal still misses the Internal Combustion sounds. Perhaps it's time to hire the Austin Neeow Guy.

As for the FS1 coverage, I found the 4 commercial breaks a bit much for a 45 minute race.

In other news, Stoffel Vandoorne qualified and finished ahead of his teammate!

17. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Further in other news, Felipe Massa made his Formula E debut, and... still sucks! http://f1i.com/news/326356-massa-racks-up-penalties-in-formula-e-debut.html :p

Massa started 12th, got up to 8th, and then started to rack up penalties, dropping him to 16th. He got a drive through penalty, then two more penalties and a license penalty.

"The 37-year-old, who last raced in Formula 1 with Williams in 2017, admitted that he didn't know why he had been penalised during the race.
    "Honestly I do not even know why I took the drive-thru," he said. "I was doing a good race, surpassing so many cars.
    “In the end I did everything for good except this penalty, which I do not know why I was given," he complained."​

So Massa doesn't understand the rules, doesn't know when he should be using the boost and attack modes, but thinks he did everything right. Yup, typical Massa, still sucks!

18. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Read earlier that FE ran a test that featured women drivers including Pippa Mann, Simone di Silvestro
    and Amna Al Qubais (among others) at the Saudi venue. Having a woman in the driving lineup would
    certainly raise the series profile

As for the Saudi race itself, caught a highlight package on YouTube. Still not very inspiring to say the
    least. If they're going to continue to rely on gimmicks to bring attention to the series, they're going to
    alienate traditional racing fans.

BHW

19. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Steve Matchett is the 'host', maybe you'd call it, for FE. Can't argue with the assessment of the racing, but more 'names' are getting involved. I'll watch casually just to see how things change over the years.........

20. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The rules are too complicared for the driver to handle during the race, and the spectators don't understand the penalties inflicted, IMO.