Ferrari Fred 458 from Switzerland | FerrariChat

Ferrari Fred 458 from Switzerland

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by fredzzz, Dec 24, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #1 fredzzz, Dec 24, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    My name is Fred and I live in Zurich, Switzerland. I recently bought a black 458 Italia in my preferred spec and I've taken the liberty of opening this thread to share with you my experience with my 458.

I will be keeping this thread up to date with new parts and mods, as well as drives and car meets.

Ferrari F360 Spider
    I previously owned a Ferrari F360 Spider (manual transmission). I added 16M wheels to that car and eventually sold it to ultimately make space for the 458. I've done some work on this car myself, such as the oil and oil filter change as well as the tedious sticky button removal. Here are a few pics of my old F360.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari 458 Italia
    It's a 2011 and it's metallic black. I would have taken any red one, or silver, or blue, or yellow. But over here, in Switzerland, most 458s available for sale are red and even though I was flexible on exterior color, I did gravitate more towards the black for some reason, especially given the interior of this specific car.

That said, what was important for me during my search was the interior: I wanted pretty much everything in carbon, most importantly the carbon LED steering wheel, the carbon console, the carbon dashboard trim but most importantly the carbon bucket seats (size L). This was pretty much the only car, in my specific price range, that had these options.

I bought the car with 30.000km (18.600 miles) and I plan on driving it. If anybody wants specifics on price, I'm more than happy to share by private message :) although keep in mind that your local market will most probably vary from mine (Switzerland).

One more pull-factor that made my choice fall on this specific 458 was the service history. It has a, what I call and gracefully christened, a summa cum laude service history, if that makes any sense. What I mean by that is; the car was serviced every year since original purchase (2011), at pretty much the same interval (month) and at the same Ferrari dealer. The paradox is that I generally don't really care if a car "skipped" one (or more) services, or if the car was serviced across different dealers. However, with future resale in mind, I felt it was a good selling point. The issue now is that I will have to do the service at this exact dealer each year for the coming years :)

Enough talk. Here are some pictures as well as mods I have done to the car.

First day with the car

Dual Channel Dashcarm install - Blackvue DR900S-2CH - video to follow

On a Sunday drive with a like-minded Ferrar enthusiast

Blacking out the cavallinos and Ferrari text

Black badges installed along with a new licence plate - Note: car is generally not this dirty :) but it's driven pretty much daily, so that's my excuse!

Interior shot

Blacked out sill plates (video below)

Sill plate / kickplate removal and Plasti Dip of various badges, emblems and sill plates.

Future Mods and Ideas
    I think the next thing I am going to do is paint the exhaust tips (heat resistant black) or have them coated in a ceramic black coating.

One day I would love a catless exhaust system, but it's all a bit more complicated in Switzerland, not to mention expensive. I could do the install myself, but you'd technically need to register the exhaust. Long story. More on that in a future video!

I'd love a pair of carbon door panels, I think that would look really nice with the carbon dashboard. I've understood that these are an OEM factory option. Does anybody have the part number for the carbon door panels, or a link? I would prefer OEM over aftermarket.

Carbon sill plates are coming next summer, as mentioned in the video.

The hood needs a new clear bra (paint protection). Video on that to follow. Might do the install myself.

I am contemplating protecting the lights with a yellow transparent wrap (Le Mans style). I know it's not everybody's cup of tea, but it's not your car, it's mine :) It's a reversible thing and I'm open to experimenting a bit.

That's pretty much all for now. I'll add more content as I go along (a lot more to come, I promise!).

Thanks for watching!
    Fred

Bas, Pocty, Shadowfax and 3 others like this.
  2. grendel88

grendel88 Rookie

Apr 28, 2014
    NIce car!

fredzzz likes this.
  3. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    Baitschev and fredzzz like this.
  4. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Wauw, you read my mind! Just as I was editing my initial post (I added the carbon door panels), you mention them :)

Loving your 458! Looks mean with the widows tinted. How much % tint is that? That might go on my list, although it's illegal to go over a certain % of tint here.

May I ask, what you don't like about the Plasti Dip? In general, or not on these sill plates?

5. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    I live in Arizona and it's the legal limit. I think because the picture was taken later in the day it looks darker. Just personal preference on the flat black look on the sills. I agree better than silver, and since you say it is easy to remove then a good short term option. For long term, with all the other CF options you have will look much better with CF on sills. Drive in good health!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

fredzzz likes this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Beautiful 458! Congrats!!

fredzzz likes this.
  7. Lovedriving

Lovedriving Karting

Jul 14, 2018
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Eric D'Amours
    Nice post. Thank you! I’m considering the after market CF sills made by Exotic Car Gear (sold by Vivid Racing). Has anyone tried those ? Do they look good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fredzzz likes this.
  8. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    #8 Melvok, Dec 25, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Hi Fred, a warm welcome here, excellent choice 458 !

The maintenance history should be like it is because it was a 7 years free maintenance, probably now ended …

I have film protected my headlights for sure because they are frightfully expensive and I witnessed that one little rock can crack the glasses.

No need for meddling with cats or other things, my only installs you can see in my YOLO thread.

If tech info is wanted, give a yell here :)

fredzzz likes this.
  9. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  10. JariT

JariT Rookie

Nov 25, 2011
    Switzerland

11. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
  12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I can help you with remote control for valves and evtl other extras and different colours in your steeringwheel (see my thread YOLO) :)

13. Jasflora

Jasflora Karting

Sep 30, 2018
    Leeds United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Jas flora
    Can you supply the capristo valve controller?
    I am thinking of installing one for the spring

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
  15. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Great car! Have lots of fun and hopefully we will see each other in CH

fredzzz likes this.
  16. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    Very nice car! It's fun modifying your car to your own personal taste, as long as you like the mods, enjoy!

fredzzz and Melvok like this.
  17. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Sure, where about are you in CH? :)

18. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Bernli:)

fredzzz likes this.
  19. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
  20. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Congrats, Fred. Very nice car. I look forward to your continuing story.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

21. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    great pics!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

22. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    HKMC168 and jomarti1 like this.
  23. fredzzz

fredzzz Rookie

Oct 20, 2017
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    During my visit to my old hometown in The Netherlands, I decided to have the headlights wrapped for protection. I went with a shade darker than transparent. I first wanted to go yellow (Le Mans style) but decided to not do that - maybe in the summer.

I also had the third brake light as well as the lower fog lights (rear) foiled in a darker tint. My idea was to have more focus on the two main brake lights (left and right) and kind of "remove'' the center brake light from the equation. By darkening it out, it's no longer so present, which gives the car a wider look (from behind). Maybe all of this makes no sense, oh well.

Before

Third brake light half wrapped to see the color - this was in the process of getting my preferred darkness. Fog lights still unwrapped.

After

Baitschev, Pocty and Avia11 like this.
  24. Gofastr

Gofastr Karting

Jan 7, 2019