2014 vs 2015 458 | FerrariChat

2014 vs 2015 458

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Avia11, Dec 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    Hi guys, I think I'm going to go for a 458. I can't decide between the coupe or the spider. Also, does anyone know if there are any differences between the MY2014 and MY2015? Thanks.

2. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Looks like you’re in California, buy the spider and be done with it. Personally I’ve never owned a coupe. Best ,Kirk

Jason Wells and Melvok like this.
  3. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    Recent first Ferrari 458 Spider owner and love the drop top option. Best of both worlds and with the back window down is a great option when to cold to put the top down. I don't know any difference between those years as mine is a '13. I did some digging researching 458 before I purchased and found no mention of changes after the ECU flash or clutch tweak after year 2010/11.

4. RayJohns

RayJohns F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2006
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Ray
    Personally I kinda like to have a solid structure over my head when traveling over 130 MPH, but that's just me. I always opt for the coupe :)

Ray

docf, xfrgtr, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  5. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    +1 on the coupe. i think they look way better than the spider.

docf, mark1000+, xfrgtr and 2 others like this.
  6. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Spider all the way! With the top down the sound is way better!

twcferrari likes this.
  7. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Being a coupe kinda guy, I did say to myself that I would consider a 458 Spider because of the hardtop. Well fast forward a few years and I have one. Do I regret it? Not in the least! It is simply an intoxicating experience. :D

8. TUTTSF

TUTTSF Karting

Sep 21, 2018
    So. Cal
    I do like the lines better on the coupe and initially was looking for a coupe but with the top down the 458 spider with the double hump looks stunning and takes on a second personality.

TheDiffuser likes this.
  9. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Coupe guy here, don't like sunroofs even, but I drove both and went for the Spider.
    The the experience more in the spider and preferred the slightly different tuning.
    I'm more the type of person that rates experiences and how the car feels as opposed to the extra 1 mph etc fir the coupe.
    Both great. Hard roof down option sold it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    14/15 is the same car

11. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Weren't there some subtle upgrades? ECU, power suspension or similar?

12. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    Coupe!!! Sound? Roll the windows down.. It also look way better!!

xfrgtr, Melvok and Clay512TR like this.
  13. TheDiffuser

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Ummm... Nah.

tekaefixe likes this.
  14. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Don’t think there were any upgrades between 2014 and 2015.

One interesting feature unique to the spider is the third power window at the rear of the cabin.
    I find it really useful when wanting to ventilate the car while moving with the top up because you don’t get the same level of buffeting as you do with the side windows. In fact if you put down the side window and the rear third window, you get nice airflow inside the cockpit. Also dropping down the rear window let you hear more engine music! And dropping the rear window is a much safer way of keeping the interior cooled off compared to leaving a window slightly open while parked,

TheDiffuser likes this.
  15. Drson

Drson Karting

Mar 18, 2018
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    John Galt
    I too have always liked coupes better.... I’ve had two Porsche 911 cabs and did not really enjoy driving them with the top down...
    Then I bought a 2015 458 Spider and I always drive with the top open weather permitting....it sounds incredible with the top open...
    It really is more like aTarga type top anyway....

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Make up your own mind, each to his own here, and ask your GF !

No mention of vehicle changes since 2012 imo.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    There is a difference in structural rigidity between the coupe and spider. Only you know if this will matter to you. For a long time I preferred open cars (not Ferrari). My first Ferrari was a spider. I thought it was amazing. Then I drove the coupe and realized how much I appreciate the stiffer structure. I am sensitive to these things and I could easily tell the difference between the 458 Italia (coupe) and Spider. BUT, you are in an area with good roads / this might not really matter much to you. I don't think there is any real difference between the 14/15 458s. Get the best example you can. You won't regret it- they are fabulous cars!

docf and jomarti1 like this.
  18. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    completely agree!!

19. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Coupe: different lines, engine window, slightly stiffer, lower cost; Spider: different lines, no engine window, open top experience including sound, hardtop is less of a compromise than a soft top would be, higher cost. I went with the latter and don't regret it.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  20. timjen88

timjen88 Karting

Aug 20, 2015
    Colorado/Palm Springs
    Watch the review on Fifth Gear with Vicki and you'll get the spider!

Caeruleus11 and tekaefixe like this.
  21. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    I have a 2014 458 Spider here in San Diego, it is the perfect car. The local San Diego Ferrari/Maserati dealer is great. for both sales and services.

Caeruleus11 and shawdut like this.