F142M-FL | FerrariChat

F142M-FL

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Dilusha, Dec 28, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    It's fairly certain that this car isn't the real 488 replacement/successor. So I've decided to make a separate thread for this car. Now you don't have to post everything under the '488 replacement' thread. :)

2. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    #2 Dilusha, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    I've got a few questions myself.

Why are they making this car?
    How does it compare it to the Pista?
    Is it cheaper, inferior and unlimited alternative to the Pista?
    Or is it a better, faster and more expensive car than the Pista?
    Perhaps even more exclusive than the PIsta?

3. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    It is just face lift 488 for people who waited their order slot but failed for 488 or pista.

My guess is this will be still a hit for company. There are people out there and it has 2 full years of production left.
    Price should not be higher than 488 but same range.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    'Ferr9000' is only just teasing us. But he did say it's more than just a face lift. ;)

of2worlds likes this.
  5. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    5-years production plan is a lot of time for regular production models, especially in so competitive V8 performance segment. No wonder that before the model end-of-life Ferrari wants to introduce 488GTB's refresh, to make happy even the clients that missed Pista allocation. So, a 488M ? ('modificata') should not be a big loser to the Pista in performance , and with some external touches (facelift) it can look even more modern than the Pista.

6. Doug23

Doug23 Karting

Jun 23, 2017
    Italy
    I think so. A sort of semi-Pista, but as a standard model replacing current "vanilla" 488. However it's only my guess.

Inviato dal mio BAH-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

of2worlds likes this.
  7. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    The factory is very good in keeping secrets …. we know that of the revealing of the Pista …. :)

kandi likes this.
  8. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I really want 'Ferr9000' to answer this question. But he wouldn't. He probably can't. Not that he doesn't know the answer for that, but simply because he can't share any secret information.

of2worlds and Doug23 like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Yes, it has to be all those things.
    They can not undercut the specification for the Pista edition. Why would all those earlier customers have also bought a 488 or Lusso to get the Pista if it wasn't the best version of the 488...

10. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #10 kandi, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    It is a part of the so called "dealers' game" and frankly speaking, Ferrari didn't promise to freeze the 488 after the 488Pista. They even say that "the latest ferrari is the greatest ..." so the 488M or 'update' can be surprisingly successful model, not just a placeholder until real replacement comes.
    PS.
    (Has anyone who could buy F12tdf ever regreted it, after seeing that "standard" successor model, 812superfast can be perceived even as a better car in many departments?)

of2worlds likes this.
  11. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    I'd be surprised if this car matches the Pista performance wise but there isn't statistically a big gap between the 488 and the Pista. Perhaps a more "luxurious" version of the Pista, Pista Lusso perhaps ;) OK, I jest but one never knows...

of2worlds likes this.
  12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The F12 TdF is 110 kg lighter than the 812, and it is a LE car.
    The Pista is not limited, and is only 90 kg lighter (when using all tricks, i.e. including the carbon wheels that are of questionable usability); and the 812 is heavier because the only way to increase power was to increase engine capacity.
    A facelift 488 is unlikely to be heavier than the current 488, so my guess is that it will actually be faster than the Pista. It should be also be significantly cheaper (just slightly more expensive than the outgoing 488) so that it will be a tough competition for the 720S while the Pista customers will keep their exclusive status for having paid a lot more :)

kandi and Melvok like this.
  13. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    I don't want this car to be slower. Don't make it slower Ferrari. Please! I'm like hungry Oliver. :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds likes this.
  14. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    IMO The car will fall slightly short of the Pista performance numbers and will use the same V8 as Big Bro but No hybrid
    Just guess work and conjecture on my part :)

of2worlds likes this.
  15. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    " Pista Lusso " Isn't that an oxymoron o_O

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I hope they will beat the Pista performance - the Pista is sought after for its exclusivity, if they maintain a large price gap everybody will be happy: cheap customers (like myself) for getting value for money, distinguished customers for dissociating from the people by paying a lot for a more exclusive car. Just look at the Speciale vs 488 situation.

kandi and of2worlds like this.
  17. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    I like the idea of a 488 Modificato ….

18. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    Exactly that...I wasn't being serious.

Jeronimo GTO likes this.
  19. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    Only now I've learned the Pista isn't a limited production model. So why bother? Why would you make another 488?

Just keep making Pistas for a couple of years and then show us the new car, the all-new hybrid 488 successor.

Why not do that? This is just ridiculous. :confused:

Gh21631 and Thelovelyrock18 like this.
  20. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    It's making more money ! Obvious :)

21. theplanner

theplanner Karting

Jul 3, 2018
    I'm yet to be convinced there will be a facelift version as others have said, it simply does not make any sense. It would certainly annoy the Pista owners if the facelift steals cues from the Pista and it would certainly annoy anyone who may have just received their 488 or still waiting on their 488 and never given the opportunity. Imagine not having taken delivery of your 488 but only to find out that it is superceded....
    So it is said there will be 2x V8TT reveals and one we believe is the BB (mid engine possibly hybrid and a refreshed of a heritage model) but other is more likely something else like say a more driver’s portofino....because it’s v8 too. It would be great for F to introduce a hardcore portofino to complete at the lower price pt....definitely makes more marketing sense to broaden the market appeal...

22. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I think Pista Piloti owners would disagree. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  23. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    458 Speciale came out in Frankfurt 2013. And the 488 GTB came out in Geneva 2015.

That's 18 months.

What if the 'Big brother' comes first, and the 'FL' comes later? But again, many others have already mentioned the Geneva reveal for the FL. Probably what they've heard from their dealers. So I guess they all can't be mistaken.

Perhaps Ferrari thinks a 12 month gap is enough for a new model?

24. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Seems Ferrari now considers McLaren as a real threat because the facelifted 488 will be there for less than two years .
    Like it or not , the 720s is a game changer and Ferrari should react quickly .

25. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Ferrari clients should be pleased, not worried, that current 488GTB will get updated. We should expect more performance and body refresh - who doesn't like the progress? It's time for McLaren to worry that the 'casual' 488 will be as fast as their 'galactical' product.

stavura and LVP488 like this.