Dakar | FerrariChat

Dakar

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by BartonWorkman, Dec 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Was thinking just yesterday that we're not seeing much about this year's Dakar event.

Then, I got this press release from Red Bull which of course sponsors most of the top teams
    in the event.

Robbie Gordon will be back again this year to have another go at it.

When the challenges ahead pit you against 5,000km of Peruvian dunes you need a plan that covers every conceivable eventuality. For the entire fortnight of action at the 2019 Dakar Rally the ideal road trip companion will be Red Bull’s comprehensive coverage. From January 6 onwards, we’ll be in the thick of the action and transmitting our content to every corner of the globe.

Our Dakar Daily show on Red Bull TV will be beamed from the bivouac to where you are and whatever device you chose to watch it on. Presenters Mike Chen and Caroline De Moraes will bring you the biggest stories and personalities involved in the rally on a daily basis. Watch the best of the last series of the Dakar Daily right here. Do you speak Dakar? So do we, that’s why we’ll be subtitling the Dakar Daily into six languages for our global audience to enjoy.

Redbull.com/Dakar will be our main hub for everything Dakar. The Dakar hub brings together the best of Red Bull’s Dakar content in one place. It’s available in six languages and defaults based on your location to autoplay the latest episode of Dakar Daily automaticaly.

We invite all news desks, broadcasters and journalists out there to bookmark the Red Bull Content Pool. Here you will find daily news cuts and interviews available for download and third party distribution. Our team of photographers will be out on every stage, uploading their content and making the Red Bull Content Pool the first place to find editorial standard high resolution images of the rally daily.

The Dakar Rally can often be a confusing business, with leaderboards changing hour by hour. To find out exactly what the state of play is on each stage you should sign up to the Red Bull Desert Wings newsletter. As well as putting you in the know on what’s happening in the race, the newsletter will also contain links to our very latest moving and still images.

You’ll also find us on social media throughout the Dakar, with content uploaded to the Instagram, Facebook and Twitter accounts of RedBull.com/Motorsports. You can also get under the skin of the Dakar with behind-the-scenes content on our @redbulldesertwings Instagram account (#rallydakar #redbullmotorsports). Plus, keep tabs on Red Bull’s Facebook and Twitter for even more race action.

You're receiving this newsletter because you're subscribed to the Red Bull Desert Wings newsletter, our distribution service for inside stories covering our Red Bull athletes at the Dakar. More in-depth news, all still images and content for editorial use from the Dakar Rally can be found here: www.redbullcontentpool.com/dakar.

BHW

Image Unavailable, Please Login

greg328 and stever like this.
  2. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    I watched a special on Paris-Dakar on Amazon Prime the other night, it was very interesting.
    It chronicled it from the beginning to when it fizzled out.
    I would imagine it is quite different from the first ten years it ran, 1977+ IIRC

3. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    In the past there has been daily coverage on my cable
    Don't remember the channel but will be looking for it next week

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I'm losing interest with the Dakar.
    I had been following it for many years when it was the "Paris-Dakar Rally", and went once Watch the start in Paris, and a prologue South of Paris.
    Then it left Africa because of terrorism and the political situation there. It used to cross many countries before and go through a variety of sceneries before.

Later it moved to South America and that was good for a few years, with Argentina, Chile, Bolivia, etc... which had very good stages.
    But this year, it has now shrunk to just one country, Peru, and all the stages are in the dunes.
    It makes it easier for the organisers probably, but the adventure side has been lost.

The cars have changed too, since the acceptance of buggies with huge suspension travel, making the 4x4s almost obsolete.
    Competitors now have to enter prototypes for a chance to win, when before adapting a showroom 4x4 was enough.
    By restricting the rally to special zones, the cars don't have to be road legal anymore, and that aspect has been ruined.

At this rate, the Dakar (why do they keep calling it that?) will disappear before long, IMO.

GuyIncognito, Jakuzzi and Boomhauer like this.
  5. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, I wasn't aware of this.

Seems the brand has diminished somewhat over the years. My POV of it now is that it's
    early in the year and its racing on TV (although condensed).

I though the whole idea of moving it to South America was they'd be running across
    multiple countries with Argentina as the home base.

Oh well, I've got a nice new friend in Peru. I may have to dispatch her to the scene for
    direct reports!

BHW

6. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My buddy Ross Branch is racing for KTM this year. Will be watching keenly.

7. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Was it on MSNBC last year here in the states?

8. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    IIRC NBCS was showing a very abbreviated daily highlights show. But, it was
    sporadic, hit and miss on the times. Seems as though I was catching it at like
    5:00PM.

The better option would be the Red Bull live streaming feed. Since they seem
    to be the sponsor of all the top teams, it may prove to be the better way to go.

Sure isn't the buzz this year as in the past. Usually my inbox was full of stuff
    from Red Bull and Peugeot leading up to the event but this year isn't the case,
    at least so far...

BHW

9. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Have set recording for Monday 1/7 at 5:30CST on nbcsn and every day thereafter

10. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Event underway
    All the big hitters back
    US has a strong presence

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Lucky to have caught the highly edited abbreviated highlight shows on NBCS at 6:00PM EST
    the past couple of evenings.

Our old pal Leigh Diffey doing the voice overs, obviously working from a script so he's not wandering
    off into "I had dinner with..."-land and his usual self-serving, fan-boy stunts we've become accustomed
    to over the years.

A bit heavy on the interviews side and a lesser focus on actual action. So, first half of show is
    interviews and human interest stories, the second half some actual race footage.

It may be worth attempting to see the Red Bull live streaming coverage instead.

Once they finally get on with actual race coverage, the scenery of the cars on the huge Peruvian
    desert dunes is spectacular. And, since the event is contained solely in Peru this year, we should
    expect to see lots of this.

BHW

Sharknose likes this.
  12. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Brabec takes first overall in the bikes

13. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Realizing there is a dearth of professional motorsport media covering Dakar this year, there need to be a few corrections.

NBCS's use of the term "Co-Driver" is incorrect. A co-driver is what is seen in multi-driver teams in sports car racing where
    in a driver enters the pits, exits the car, another driver enters the car. That is a co-driver. Persons in the passenger seat of
    these Dakar vehicles are navigators, not co-drivers. A navigator is a person who directs the route or course of a ship, aircraft,
    or other form of transportation, especially by using instruments and maps. There is a distinct difference.

Also, the liberal use of the term "overall leader" in this event is also incorrect. Overall leader is used to describe the vehicle team
    that is leading the event over all, including the other classes. Describing a class leader such as in the Side by Sides, Bikes
    or Trucks as an "overall leader" is incorrect terminology. They are class leaders, not overall leaders.

If Diffey had any brains at all, he would be making these corrections on his first script read through.

If we can't count on NBCS to report Dakar correctly, how may we expect them to cover Indy Car and IMSA?

BHW

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Do you know that in parallel to the Dakar Rally actually taking place, these was also a rally-raid event called Africa Eco Race?
    The Africa Eco Race started from Monaco and finished today in ... Dakar!
    Yes, the AER uses roughly the same road as the original Paris-Dakar Rally, going through France, Spain, Morocco, Mauritania and Senegal.
    This event has been organised since the official Dakar rally migrated to South America, from 2010.
    Many former Dakar competitors prefer racing in Africa, and it's far less costly for European amateurs.

Political unrest was invoked for the Dakar organisers to move to South America.
    But it seems that the organisers obtained subventions from Chile, Argentina, Bolivia and Peru to hold the rally on their soil.
    This year, 3 of these countries have refused to finance the rally, and the Dakar organisers had to content with only Peru.

No need to say that the media follow the Dakar, but tend to ignore the Africa Eco Race.
    Don't ask why ...

Boomhauer likes this.
  15. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Hmmmm, interesting.

If it wasn't for Red Bull's involvement, I would be getting any new about the event at all.

Perhaps the Dakar organizers got too full of themselves. I know in Argentina, there was some
    outcry from the government as a result of spectator deaths and injuries the past couple of years.

They seem to be taking this seriously as I read this morning that one of the Trucks was disqualified
    from the event for striking a spectator who was outside a designated spectator area.

BHW

Bas likes this.
  16. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Brabec out in stage 7
    Short still in top ten
    Three stages left

17. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    Toyota got Le Mans in 2018 and Dakar in 2019

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    My mate finished 12th overall on the bikes, and top rookie! Great performance.

Boomhauer likes this.
  19. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    Bold

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Gotta say that the coverage in the U.S. was pathetic.

NBCS goes with this half hour highlight package narrated by Leigh Diffey. The issue was,
    the daily highlight package was usually covering action from the previous day.

So, while reading about the day's events online getting up to date on things, the daily
    TV version was presenting news that was over 24 hours old.

It was better in the beginnings of Dakar when they'd present the entire event in a two
    hour highlight package with professional narration which came out in a highly polished
    version a week or two later.

The event itself seems to have lost its luster. The loss of the factory Peugeot factory team
    didn't help. The whole thing just seems to need re-tooling.

BHW

Sharknose likes this.
  21. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  22. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed