The Ontario Thread! | Page 896 | FerrariChat

The Ontario Thread!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ClassicFerrari, Feb 28, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    True story ... director of golf operations at a private club in the US is talking to a member somewhere at the golf club. Member phone rings. It is Tesla (the company) wondering if he is OK as they received data that he has been in an accident. "Nope, I'm fine. Car is in the parking lot of my golf course and I'm nowhere near it". Turns out what triggered the "accident alert system" was nothing more than two valet drivers "seeing what this car can do" and in doing so ... writing it off and sending both valets to the hospital. I don't know what model Tesla. It is my understanding that destruction of a vehicle by valet is justification for dismissal :)

tifoso2728 and Mimmo Blue like this.
  2. Josh P

Josh P Karting

I did one of those 5 cars in 5 hours tours in the fall and one of the cars was the Tesla Model S. First time driving it. It was cool and I had always been curious about them but we found the flaw for car enthusiasts. Upon starting we had 400km of range. We drove the snot out of it and hammered it continuously, granted that is not normal everyday driving. It did not make it through the entire experience and had to be left at a charging station after 200km. It is impressive but not for me.

3. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Umm more than just dismissal

4. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    First off reading some of this emission stuff it just sounds like a nightmare. Originally from Ontario but I bailed a couple of decades ago to head to the states. Wow, the government seems heavy handed.

As for the model 3, I sat in one and the interior is complete garbage. Probably one of the worst I've seen in terms of feeling like it's the inside of a prison. The outside is pretty bad too.

5. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Speaking of emissions, here is a copy/paste taken directly from a gov't of Ont website ... make sure to read the final sentence.

Drive Clean changes
    Ontario is cancelling the Drive Clean passenger vehicle program and avoiding taxpayers costs up to $40 million a year.

Effective April 1, 2019, drivers will no longer be required to get Drive Clean emissions tests for their passenger vehicles. Until then, your first Drive Clean emissions test to renew your registration for light duty vehicles (most cars, vans, SUVs and light trucks) will continue to be free.

While Drive Clean effectively reduced vehicle pollution, auto industry standards have significantly improved since the program was created in 1999 making this program no longer necessary.

Owners of vehicles will still be required to make sure their vehicle emissions systems are operating properly. This means maintenance and repairs are still necessary and will help to avoid more costly repairs. To support this program change, the ministry will be strengthening its on-road inspections to ensure owners are properly maintaining their vehicle emissions.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  6. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    How are they going to strengthen their on-road inspections? I didn’t even know there was an on-road inspection

7. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I have seen ministry inspectors set up a post and pull over a bunch of Honda's plastered with stickers, spoilers and fart can exhaust systems heading as a group to Cayuga. They were checking for cars that deleted catalytics and straight through exhausts etc. There were half a dozen tow trucks ready to take them to the impound, a couple of cars already hooked up.

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Can’t say I’m not happy hearing this - many times I hear the most god awful exhaust sounds and ask myself why is this person allowed to make such road noise. And why are these exhausts allowed to be sold. Motorcycles need to be next!

I'm 360 Canuck and Nuvolari like this.
  9. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    I think that roadside inspections are very much a targeted effort where the police will set up an inspection near a race track or a car meet with a young crowd and just shoot fish in a barrel. Last year I loaned my car to a friend to have in their booth for a 'tuner' show in Markham. When I went to pick it up the area was swarming with police and tow trucks looking to score an easy catch and there were cars stopped everywhere. My friend and all of his cars in the booth were left in the parking lot overnight (as they all had some kind of technical infraction) as the scene cooled off and they picked them up the following day. My car was legit so I had nothing to worry about and all the cops I passed already had several cars pulled over. Again these were very much targeted efforts.

Realistically I think that the comment about strengthening on road inspections is just lip service to keep those opposed to the change in check. If anything the whole emissions thing will be forgotten soon enough and I can't see the police spending any extra time looking for emissions violators.

alum04org and djempire like this.
  10. silver_91

silver_91 Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    vaughan,on
    Full Name:
    Angelo Savoia
    I fully agree with your assessment. Nothing will change.

Nuvolari likes this.
  11. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    +1. Nothing to see here.

12. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I have a 1988 Car licence sticker expire May 2019 do i need a Test?

13. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I would say you do not need a test.
    Program ends April 1st. Yours doesn't expire until May. So when you renew for May the program will have ended.

Nuvolari likes this.
  14. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    QUOTE=Nuvolari "Realistically I think that the comment about strengthening on road inspections is just lip service to keep those opposed to the change in check. If anything the whole emissions thing will be forgotten soon enough and I can't see the police spending any extra time looking for emissions violators".

You could very well be correct in that they may just using scare tactics to keep people in line but I thought people should be aware.

Just an FYI though, they aren't claiming to be hiring or directing a larger number of local or provincial police to keep emission control violators in line, they are claiming they will be putting more mobile officers employed by the MOE out on the streets.

15. AceMaster

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Only if you renew prior to April 1

16. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Driveclean is truly dead.

Wife's car needed a new plate sticker in March of this year. The form she got in the mail showed that she was required to have an emission test done in order to purchase her new plate sticker. We decided to park her car for the month of March and went to Service Ontario today (April 2nd) to attempt to purchase a new sticker and ... there was absolutely no mention of anything to do with an emission test even though the paperwork showed she needed it. She was able to buy her new plate sticker. Driveclean DID die on April 1st.

17. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    I should add to above post of mine, just to be a little clearer ... her paperwork showed that she was required to have an emission test done before buying her sticker. We DID NOT have an emission test done and where able to purchase a new sticker simply because we bought the sticker AFTER April 1st.

The cancellation of Driveclean only means the mandatory bi-annual testing has been eliminated, this does not mean you can legally remove emission control components on street driven vehicles. I am not a cop and do not work for the MOE&CC and do not care what modifications others do to their vehicles, I am just stating this fact so people are informed. Remove your 'cats' and get caught up in a roadside 'blitz' ... you can pretty much expect to be ticketed. Just sayin'

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  18. asphaltca

asphaltca Karting

Nov 3, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Great news for those with older cars.

19. ONSilver

ONSilver Karting

May 26, 2008
    Oakville, Ontario
    Same experience. Just today licensed the Mondial that showed it it needed a Drive Clean when due normally in January. Service Ontario clerk didn't even mention it, just gave me the new sticker. Seemed almost too easy!

tbakowsky likes this.
  20. Halibrand

Halibrand Rookie

Feb 23, 2014
    Spotted a red Maserati Merak (on the back of a tilt 'n load) on the DVP mid-morning (no pics). I don't think I've seen one since the yellow one across from my Junior High (early 80's).

21. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Hello everyone, been a while since I've posted here.

Just thought I'd spread the word that I've got a set of smoked 575M tail lights, front/rear Cavallinos and trunk emblems, and F430 floor mats for sale in the Classifieds:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/novitec-smoked-oem-ferrari-575m-and-others-tail-lights-sidemarkers.598793/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/matte-black-oem-f-r-cavallino-and-rear-trunk-emblems.598794/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/ferrari-f430-spider-beige-floormats.598796/

I'm located in Toronto.

22. djempire

djempire Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2012
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Serf
    I'm assuming the ads were removed?

23. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Yes, the initial ones were removed because I didn't realize I'm only allowed to post one ad per day. I've reposted them since. Send me a PM with what you're interested in and we'll go from there. Thanks!

24. asb9987

asb9987 F1 Rookie

Dec 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    A. B.
    Corrected the links from above:
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146601222/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/posts/146583224/

25. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Anyone going to Cobble Beach in 2 weeks?
    In-laws bought us tickets for our anniversary.

ONSilver likes this.