Do all Carbon Fiber Engine Panels yellow? | FerrariChat

Do all Carbon Fiber Engine Panels yellow?

Discussion in '360/430' started by 808Forza, Oct 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Reconsidering purchasing and installing a set of RTuned 1x1 Carbon Fiber engine bay panels on my 430. I passed on it some years ago because of all the reports of the panels yellowing and clouding on OE engine panels due to the compartment heat, especially the exhaust.
    I do open my hatch when I park the car at home but not when out and about.
    Any successful stories of no yellowing or clouding appearance?
    Thanks in advance

2. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Wet layed carbon and clear coated will yellow with heat and time how long before they yellow is anyone's guess maybe 2-3 yrs. Pull the trigga, fit them when they yellow up just have them sanded back and re cleared. That's what I would do I luv the carbon look. Gud luk.

808Forza likes this.
  3. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Good point, thanks. My understanding is the RTuned are dry carbon.
    I love Carbon and have it everywhere but these panels.

4. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ron I have a set of company name "Tubistyle" carbon fiber panels for the past few years and maybe 5K miles with none of the yellowing issues.AFAIK not making the parts anymore but if you see a set they are really good.

5. Virulosity

Virulosity Karting

Jun 26, 2017
    Orange County CA
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The yellow color is caused by UV aging of the epoxy resin used in the composite laminate. In the aerospace world, you can buy resins that have UV inhibitors and protectants to prevent this from happening, so I assume that there are automotive companies that would use this as well. Most of the non structural carbon parts are designed primarily to be low cost, so I would bet most of the parts you are considering will yellow at some point. You can prevent it by garaging the car, and using a cover when its outside, and better yet apply a UV film on it.

6. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thanks for the input Rob.
    I have a pair aftmkt wet laid CF carbon air boxes and they have yellowed closest to the muffler which happens to be away from the glass/UV light which tells me heat was definitely was a factor. The other side of the air boxes exposed to the engine side beneath the glass is actually fine.
    My car is always garaged other than when it's out for a stop or run.

7. 808Forza

808Forza Formula Junior
    Owner

Jan 5, 2013
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Hey Kev, I forgot you had a set in yours. Looks like I'll take a leap of faith and hope for the best. Always loved the look of CF.

8. Joe@Fabspeed

Joe@Fabspeed Karting
    Sponsor

Jul 1, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe Fabiani
    The Suns ultra violet rays can cause carbon fiber to yellow. Its a matter of long duration UV exposure to carbon fiber that causes the yellowing. The good news is most of the time the cars dont sit out in the sun for long periods. You should not have a problem with most carbon fiber parts. Perhaps a good UV rated clear coat will stop the yellowing.

808Forza likes this.
  9. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Heat is definitely the main factor. It's worth wrapping the cats and exposed areas of the rear section.

808Forza likes this.
  10. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    If you buy quality stuff you should be OK. There is at least one brand out there that makes junky parts by putting a layer of carbon fiber over a backing of fiberglass! You don't want this. A good manufacturer will have great photos of the front and the back of the panels. You should be able to see evidence of the finished side weave in the back of the part.

808Forza likes this.
  11. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    Can you name a few you would recommend this way it doesn't appear that your being prone to just one manfacturer.
    Thx

12. Kevin Rev'n

Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Wish I could, I don't have any experience with how any of them are making things these days. If you are looking at some and on the fence post up the details and someone can help figure out the quality or give some things to think about before you buy.

13. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    If you buy a set, any set, I would recommend using a high quality (DuPont is my choice) urethane clear coat on them from the start before you install them. The high end automotive clear coats have a heavy dose of UV protectors in them. It's what separates the "cheepie" clear coats from the high end stuff. And no, I don't have any stock in DuPont/Axalta. But a good clear coating on a car can last for years and years sitting directly in the sun (think roofs, hoods, and trunks) and withstand the severe heat. And I know direct sun and heat living in Florida.

14. bupilot

bupilot Karting

May 3, 2016
    China Spring, TX
    Full Name:
    J Anderson
    Two thumbs up for Mark's advice. The yellowing areas I have on my carbon engine panels have a direct correlation to their proximity to heat from exhaust components, not UV exposure.

15. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    I had heard that the 2009 Scud did not have the problem with yellowing, is that right?

16. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It happens much more slowly, but they are not immune.

17. Yesitsfast

Yesitsfast Karting

Nov 11, 2014
    Thanks guys for the imput. I'll have to do some more research and will post what I find out.

18. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    My 16M seems unaffected - December 2009. Spider engine bay gets hotter than coupe I assume due to less clearance?

19. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    How many miles, Russell?

20. RWP137

RWP137 Formula 3

Apr 29, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I opened the engine hatch on my 430 Scud every time I stopped to avoid this. Carbon looks great, but what a pain.

21. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell