360 transition car... appreciated for what it is and is not....? ever happen? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 transition car... appreciated for what it is and is not....? ever happen?

Discussion in '360/430' started by one4torque, Dec 26, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    KC - same feeling here.

I have to wonder what fuels some folks despising the 360?

is it some inherent design flaw like a old 911 with deadly oversteer on track? not that I know of?

is it some really ugly design element? never heard this stated once.... ever.... most all agree it is beautiful from most angles......

is it some exceeding low reliability issues? nope...

is it that it is depreciating faster than other models? nope......

is it that it handles poorly?

or has lack luster performance? no one complains about the nsx of the same era... in fact people revel in the moment aspects of the car.....

I wonder how many who bag on the car actually owned or own one?

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  2. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    A well maintained and serviced, original non-modded 360, particular manual transmission, will not be, and even today is not, cheap. Yeah, the unloved, neglected, and modded 360s with deferred maintenance are a "bargain", and the spread will continue to grow as people buy a "bargain", realize what it costs to bring up to snuff, and then dump it to the next bargain hunter at a loss.

3. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Weird post... sorry. I don't see anyone despising the car, nor do I see anyone bag on the car...??? Where do you get that? It is widely recognized as a beautiful, timeless design, being a good car, particular with the manual transmission.

one4torque likes this.
  4. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano

Anyone "bagging" on a manual 360 would have to be checked to see if they had a pulse :)

G. Pepper and one4torque like this.
  5. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    G. Pepper and Automoblog like this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    That is called attrition.

KC360 FL and Dewinator like this.
  7. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #32 I'm 360 Canuck, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    The 360 reminds me of the Dino 206246....which I think of as a transition car as well...it fit between the vintage styles and pointed Ferrari in the direction of the more radical “modern styling “ at the time, of the 288, 308, 328 and other more aggressive looking Venetian blinds/cheese grater style bodies, but you could see where the lines originated from, in a cleaner, subtler, prettier way.

It will always be appreciated by many, but often overlooked and live in the shadows of other more dramatic vehicles in terms of performance and styling.

That said, I’m in the camp of unashamedly mildly updating my 360...aftermarket stereo, cf cup holder, CS grille, slightly bigger tires, and some LEDs and exhaust.
    While I don’t believe a ton of aftermarket stuff “improves” a car, I think a few items can freshen it up a little and enhance the experience. Esp if easily reversible to stock.

G. Pepper and KC360 FL like this.
  8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    The only people I read about "bagging" on a 360 that I've seen are the Jalopnik reading teenage guys who come to Cars and Coffee driving their dads Lambo, walking around calling every other car on the lot a POS. Everyone else is respectful.

Graz and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  9. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    Those "bagging" the F1 tranny are also missing the "360 is a turning point" declaration.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    It's your car, so make it the way you want it.

I'm so much of a luddite that the 360 was my favorite mid engine car SINCE the Dino. I loved the Dino's sexy and voluptuous curves when it came out, and while the 308 was objectively a better car, the design was flattened out a bit, and the popup headlights were added. The 328 was a logical upgrade, but the 348 really did nothing for me. The 355 did, however, do it for me, but then the 360 came out and to me it was the best of the Dino and all the 3x8 cars combined. Just love the looks. Don't understand anyone not liking the design.

It's amazing how huge the 360 is compared to the 308, though. The wheelbase is exactly ten inches longer!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    ..."driving their dad's Lambo..." Their ya go. I'd expect no less. :rolleyes:

12. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I guess the difference is the 360 F1 is a turning point car excited for the future but the gated 360 is a turning point car celebrating the past.

13. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    The only ones I've seen made to look "newer" had to be 360's that were wrecked first and then when decided to repair, did gawd aweful things.

Don't think I can make this look much better, I enjoy the LED lights though, does that count on trying to get into the newer modern F car game?

looks modern enough for me...

Walt Gamble, one4torque and G. Pepper like this.
  14. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I need to get a set of those Challenge wheels! :)

Beautiful car.

15. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Did just notice the Buck-Ees cavalino on the hood. Nice.

16. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    This again ?????????

There are 3 types of Ferrari owners :

1) Purist that doesn't touch a thing

2) Purist that believe they are purists and criticize all that modify but still change even the smallest things on their cars thus modifying their cars

3) My group....modify because there is always room for improvement....which is making those in 2) more closely grouped in 3)

I would be willing to bet there are more modified Ferrari cars than OEM . I would love to create that poll just to prove my point . If you even change the smallest thing on your car to make it better in your eyes , you have modified a Ferrari....profane, blasphemous, impious, sinful, irreverent, irreligious, unholy, disrespectful :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    badbenz - I get your point. I'm catching hell on the bimmer forum for putting an ls in my E36 M3....... they go bannanas over there..... even posting up homophobic popsicle meme's..... don't ask.... but it's true :)....

Mod away I say... make it yours.

I do have a rather crazy desire to find a basket case 360 for under 25k.... and blow it apart, and make a very lightweight track car..... with an LS..... I know it will ruffle horse fur.... but the aftermarket support and ease of tuning and hp of the ls platform is nice..... ask me how I know.... I'm building up an LS for my little m3 track car project..... and coming from amg, m3, f car world.... parts are almost Free from the general ..

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brook - nope.. that's called safety! Looks good.

19. billy.gif

billy.gif Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2017
    Finland
    May I ask whats the thing at the left radiator grill? Looks kind of fun thing to get for local cars 'n coffee meets.

20. Walt Gamble

Walt Gamble Formula Junior

May 22, 2014
    $7500 with mounted Michelin's..elsewhere here.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Bad timing. My 360's in for a suspension rebuild - and new tires - right now.

22. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    The factory rotates cars all the time, I have been 3 times and seen everything from 60’s to now - including 360 and 430.

G. Pepper likes this.
  23. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    $1.99 plastic bat during halloween at Walmart.

Google Congress Street bridge bats in Austin TX and you'll understand. :)

one4torque and Walt Gamble like this.
  24. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Seriously?

The 350 is a timeless design. Back in the day I had an early '99 and sold it for a profit and did the same (albeit a bigger profit) on a spyder. The CS however..... was the car for me. I don't think people are buying these to pretend they are newer cars (maybe poseurs do).

Admittedly the CS is a completely different animal (dynamically/cosmetically), but the 360 is a stunner.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yes seriously ;)..... perhaps it's the cheesy way some gray market used f car dealerships pitch these cars.... "cruise the mall and know one will be the wiser that this is not the new model"......... was addressing this market niche.......

My little 360 is perhaps one of the first cars I've had that I discover something new I like as time goes on.... will have to see how I feel after the honeymoon period..... Got the car back in June...... and still oogle it, look forward to cleaning it, or doing just about anything associated with 'her'. I'd say I'm past the 'oh wow I have a ferrari stage'..... and now with clear vision see what a wonderful mechanical / art 'thing' this really is. f car or not... it is good.

I'm 360 Canuck and G. Pepper like this.