488 Pista - qualifying demands | Page 43 | FerrariChat

488 Pista - qualifying demands

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Doctor Mark, Oct 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shack

Shack F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2005
    Earth
    If I lived in SF I would not bother owning anything decent either. Too much traffic and hell to park on 25 degree inclines. Probably more about the hassle than the trend IMO.

JagShergill and Bundy like this.
  2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Don't take my word for it, just ask any of the exotic car dealerships in my area; they will tell you the buyers are all familiar, old faces. New money ain't buying.

You should know then, that all the obstacles since the 80s do not exist anymore, and the change that is happening in this 4th industrial revolution has been EXPONENTIAL, not linear like the past. The question of the narrative now is not is it possible? It's how far are we going to take it...

I wouldn't frame it that harshly, but as I mentioned earlier about how the "perception of ownership" has changed, that is synonymous to how the "perception of success" is defined as well. I'm seeing more and more high net worth individuals (globally) spend their money on anything but exotics; they channel plenty of their money into other stuff as a display/celebration/whatever you want to call it of their wealth.

09Scuderia likes this.
  3. howydo

howydo Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2009
    I agree, but at least for me performance is a HUGE part of ownership. I think we still have a ways to go until performance Levels out. Performance is the sum of many metrics not just acceleration..

4. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark

5. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Most owners I know do not live in the city proper, and hardly any of them take spirited drives in the city either. Those who do live in the city proper, like myself, do our driving in the north bay / wine country or half moon bay. I guess if your goal is to be noticed, driving in the city could check off the box...

6. JagShergill

JagShergill Formula 3

Dec 31, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Jag shergill
    Well said

Bundy likes this.
  7. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    #1057 Lesia44, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Don't Ferrari have a habit of saying "all sold" then squeezing a few more out the door as soon as someone waves a wadge of cash at them? I've read on this forum that that is pretty common practice at Modena. Or is this just a conspiracy theory?

LVP488 likes this.
  8. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Actually, I'd guess that most Ferrari buyers buy a Ferrari simply because it's a Ferrari. The kind of people who come to FChat are a rare breed.

9. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
  10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Thank you for proving my point.

11. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Gas at $2.xx/gal. Oil less than $50/barrel. Trump removing regulations. US largest source of petrol in the world and now an exporter. Pipelines continuing to have new and long term development. Americans love cheap gas. Oil used in every form of life. Electric cars unpopular. IC cars incredibly affordable and economical to operate. ICE cars are all at the dealerships now and last 12-15 or more years. Every year full electrics don't fill showrooms restarts the 12-15 or more years of ICE cars. Hybids will be next but still with ICE so more push-out of 12-15 or more years. Nationwide grid too expensive to upgrade just for unpopular cars that take days to charge on standard service panels and still no new miracle in production batteries around the corner or expected. No broad demand for electrics. With Trump administration oil production will go up and not down and effects will be long lasting. I'd say petrol will outlive everyone on this forum no problem. The bulk of the country is fine with that.

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Little more than one year is short - so if confirmed, all slots are probably already allocated. Although depending on the markets, it might not be possible to have the potential customers locked for such a time.
    It will be interesting to see what will happen on the secondary market six months from now; today asked prices for flipping Pista are relatively high but if this proves not to be sustained the interest for the late deliveries may be fading.

13. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Perhaps, but image how Ferrari sales would react if the 488 replacement wasn't any better or was even lower in performance than the 488, but for more money. Why buy a new exquisite piece of machinery at that point other than the design?

At some point design will in fact be the only differentiator between old and new. It's got some time still, but it will happen. Roads aren't getting faster or redesigned, so it's ultimately going to be no more capable at some point. No one is really chasing top speed anymore because everyone knows it's pointless. No one is chasing 0-100 because we're pretty much at the limits of traction and traction control. Now they're chasing 0-200 or 0-300. With 1000-1200 hp, those will peak soon as well.

You're only going to be able to make a car so wide and so rough from a suspension standpoint, so lap times will no doubt peak as well.

It's still probably got 20 years left and the EV phase to go through, but ultimately, it's just going to be about buying art.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's got several decades left, but they will all be budget cars. Remember, manufacturers need to meet global requirements. They aren't going to spend zillions developing ICEs for the US market if China and Europe and RoW are saying EV (and California etc).

Trump is only in office for 2-4 years. People like Xi Jinping are there for life. The US doesn't really dictate what auto manufacturers are going to do if the RoW is moving in one direction. It's not worth trying to develop massively different products for major markets, especially if affordability is coming down so much. Solid range EVs are slowly coming within reach for the masses.

I'm seeing Model 3s everywhere now. I'm seeing tons even in the midwest. I'm not long Tesla from a stock perspective, but I would be long EVs if I could.

15. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #1065 freshmeat, Dec 31, 2018
    Well, irregardless of your political standing, I think quoting Trump at this moment in time is probably not the most convincing thing to draw from and even it were, he’s but a bleep in time, by next year (tomorrow) folks from both sides are going to rip him a new one.

And I think politics/policy is a completely different thing than “doing the right thing” for the future. No matter your views, we can agree it’s a given that gas is a finite resource, if we don’t start leaning into other resources (doesn’t need to be electric) what’s going to power civilization for our kids? Another thing I’d say is, it’s been a long while since government policy in murika has paved the way & it seems folks are too busy arguing about a fence to keep out fictitious mobs of rapists and murderers anyways lol. If you look close enough, it’s the corporations that have been in the driver’s seat and creating the disruptions/change we’ve seen...did some past policy help? Sure, but policy isn’t the reason for the mass adoption we are all continuing to see.

As mentioned earlier, the “elder millennials” approach cars/transport/wealth differently than you and I would probably & they outnumber & will outlive most of us; the bigger & more definite numbers are going to fuel change, not us and that’s who companies have already placed their big bets on.

16. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    #1066 IPO1, Dec 31, 2018
    Since you derailed the topic

Tell that to the widow of the wife of the cop that was just killed by one of your fictitious murderers.

stavura, Coincid, Shack and 4 others like this.
  17. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    This thread has gotten so OT, political, & self-righteous that it’s lost its value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boomhauer likes this.
  18. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Tragic really, but are you saying that all murders in murika are predominantly by illegals from across the border? I’d be stunned if it was even 1%

19. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Take this talk elsewhere

Shack and Gh21631 like this.
  20. Clembo

Clembo Formula Junior

A Topic on our Forum has gone off topic? When did that start - par for the course.

Maybe that won't happen in 2019. :)

21. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Go back to P&R

Bundy, Shack, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    You obviously have your political point of view - this is not the forum to express those points. Take it to the P&R forum. You will have plenty of people to express your feelings about illegals there.

Bundy, Shack, IPO1 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Its safer here. :)

boobernackle likes this.
  24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    He will get torn apart.

Now back to how only shallow people buy exotics. ;)

25. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I stated 15-20 critical views why ICE will not disappear faster than people think. The mentioning of the current administration just to show that regulations are one of the components which are in the opposite direction of change. Oil is here for a LONG time. No need to take thread off topic.