512 electrical mess!!! | FerrariChat

512 electrical mess!!!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by EZORED, Dec 23, 2018.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I have a 1992 512 tr euro car. The dome light would not come on when I opened the drivers doors. Searched the form and found that there is a buzzer/? Part 61830700 that needs to be installed before that this can happen and that in the 512 tr it is located under the dash. So I crawled under the passenger dash looking for the part. I did see a whole bunch of loose wires. See the attached photo.

d Image Unavailable, Please Login

After 1/2 a day carefully removing all the above mess, the car still starts and runs. A major victory.

The next 3 photos show a major group of wires that were under the kick panel and went under the center console. Note the buttons on the end of the grouping and note that pressing the buttons does nothing, removing the switch does not seem to affect the car. I still starts anyway. I then went pull the cover off of the back firewall behind the passenger seat and see no evidence of this bundle of wires.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    The bundles look almost like a stock part of the wiring harness. The question is it and if not would you remove it.

Back to my original quest. to get the dome light working, I found no evidence of the missing buzzer I was looking for. but I did find the following group of wires all hooked together. They are all green wires. 1 is spliced to a brown wire that goes thru the front fire wall and is attache to the bottom of the front bonnet hood switch, 1 disappears under the dash and looks like it is going to the passenger, door, 1 disappears up into the instrument panel, and the other seems to go to the drivers door. I am thinking that these wire might at one time been attached to the buzzer and were hacked by a stereo installer. The wires show no power and nothing changes when they are grounded. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Right now, all 4 wires are connected to each other and under each of the plastic coverings is a diode? The exposed wire went to a since removed stereo harness which makes no sense to me. The only wire that I can really trace to its final location is the one that attaches to the bonnet switch. why would a stereo harness be tied into the bonnet switch. Can anyone help???

Final question? What should this gray and Violet wire clip hook to. It is hanging down just below the glovebox!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I would appreciate any help! Thanks Dennis

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    The relay that controls the buzzer is the one that controls the dome light when you open driver door

There is a work around that was given to me a long while back by a great member Steve .. look at my posts ( posts started by me...shouldbebyoo many)and it should come

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Does any one have a photo that shows the relays location in the 512

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  5. ncipps

ncipps Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    enjoy the project. I love sorting that kind of electrical out.

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I think I found the buzzer, it is located next to the turnsignal relay behind the glove box. It would really help with a copy of wiring diagram

7. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here is the only wiring diagram I have - it is complete - unfortunately you have to piece it together like a puzzle

So I think I have given you all you need to see if your dome light is truly not working because of the relay ( common issue btw) and how to fix it

The thread that tells you how to diagnose the issue and make sure it is the relay - thanks to steve
    The same thread also tell you how to work around it - diode
    The ricambi part list show you the part and where it is ( approx) - also I think it says it is in stock
    And the wiring diagram to trace wires

Hope all that helps - Merry Christmas !

Attached Files:

8. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    May need the legend to go with it - courtesy of another member as well

I hope you are good - if not let me know

Attached Files:

9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks, flash, I will give it a try!

10. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I replace the buzzer relay under the dash. and drivers door now turns on the dome light. Which is 137606 for a euro car. #13 It is a 537 relay also used in a 348

flash32 likes this.
  11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Great .. where did you buy and how much ?

12. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I bought in Canada ! I bought cheap and have put a lot of money into it. Love the car but have learned my lesson, don't do that, alway buy the best car you can afford. I could have bought a perfect testarossa for what I paid for the 512, but I fell in love with the color Black/tan. Having owned a testarossa in the past I wanted a new experience!. Even now I love the car, but has been a PIA!!

13. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sorry I meant the relay

14. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    $40 ebay

flash32 likes this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Link ?

16. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  17. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
  18. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    #18 EZORED, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    Euro car. So you have not been able to find one for a US car? I might know a Source.

the part you need is 61830700 just google it!

19. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Hahahaha. Thats classic

20. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    A large part of the mystery wire spaghetti you eliminated may have been a diy backyard alarm/stereo system/interior lighting/mobile phone, etc setup from the 90’s.

I have had the pleasure of removing a lot of that crap over the years.

turbo-joe likes this.
  21. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes the car spent time in Japan, and They went crazy with alarms and stereo, even tv.

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I thought I needed 137667.. I am in USA not Canada with seems to be the market for the number you specify

Please let me know if agree

Thanks

23. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    My understanding is 137667 is for a euro car, but I could be wrong. The relay is located under the dash on the passenger side, next to turn signal relay. Very accessible, just turn on the turn signal and follow the clicking. remove, and if it says 537 on the side, 137667 is what you need.

24. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Thanks ... My car is off-site currently and was looking to purchase something I saw on eBay .. I will just wait to I get to my car and check .. better safe vs buying wrong item

Thanks again