Modern Maserati Insurance--advice and tips | FerrariChat

Modern Maserati Insurance--advice and tips

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Hightower, Dec 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I think I'm being had...Progressive is charging me too much and I need options for insurance on my 1x per week driven 2010 Granturismo S with 20,000 miles. Hagerty wouldn't insure it (unlike my MGB and 1960 Land Rover) and said they wanted me to take some high performance driving class due the car being what it is...

Please share any tips on Agreed-Value policies or other types of car insurance policies you've used to cover your Maserati (GT, Ghibli, Quattroporte, Levante, etc.). What has worked and what to avoid. My hope is we can create a resource specific for Maserati owners vs. more expensive other brands. Thanks ahead of time!

2. Hightower

Hightower Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 27, 2016
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Bueller?....

3. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Try State Farm....I have 8 cars, House and umbrella insured with them. Cars can be stated miles, no hassle.

Sent from my 16M

Hightower likes this.
  4. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Hmm, I just switched to progressive earlier this year and I got a quote from them when I was looking at a 2009 GranTurismo and it wasn't that expensive. Was it more than a collector car policy would be, yeah, but it wasn't bad I didn't think.

Hightower likes this.
  5. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    There isn't going to be "modern maserati" specific answer to this...meaning its going to be the usual suspects.

You say "charging me too much" but don't give us a sense of what they are charging? (have you gotten alternative quotes? Are those cheaper and thus you know your policy is too high?)

I've had ACE and Chubb for a decade or more. They are great and have never hesitated to insure any car I have bought. My 2014 GT is on there currently. There are no silly mileage or show-use only rules or other limitations. Its just car insurance as on any regular car. IIRC for $100k/$500k liability (whatever the min requirements are for your umbrella to work) and $1000 deduct C&C and full under/un-insured idiot coverage and agreed value at more than I paid...I think my annual premium is $900. But so much of that is driven by your age, your record, your other drivers in the household, your other cars, your other policies, your zip code and the weather in Burundi, that its not much use to compare. But there it is fwiw.

I have shopped State Farm, ACE (before Chubb bought them), Fireman's, Allstate and Haggarty. I won't use Haggarty except as a last resort (its a pain with their restrictions and requirements).

6. 3500GTista

3500GTista Rookie

Dec 19, 2013
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Alan Michaels
    I have PURE Insurance for home and cars, some of which are 1960s and exotic.
    Collectible cars are stated value.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Mine is under my normal Geico policy. I have my Ferrari under American Modern, agreed value but mile restriction.

Hightower likes this.
  8. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Geico is affordable, but when it comes to living up to their end of the bargain, they r very questionable. I'm about to file my lawsuit
    Geico 1400
    Wawaness 2800
    School Union per wife 3500
    Your case may very

Texas Forever likes this.
  9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Yep. AIG private client is expensive, but they pay claims like a slot machine. It doesn’t do any good to save money on premiums when the insurance company doesn’t pay claims.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

10. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Recognize what you are asking for: You are asking to be over-insured.

It isn't a standard product for your average Insurance Company.. or your specialty 'Collector Car' companies. Any insurance product that isn't standard will always come at a higher cost.

Yes, Hagerty (and most any other Collector insurer) won't insure any late model car, because it's not their market: We can appreciate a mint 2010 Maserati GT S, but all they see is it is still depreciating, unlike your MGB or 1960 Land Rover. I suspect Hagerty is offering you a work-around: If you take performance driving classes, they can define you as a 'race car' driver and fit you into one of their racing insurance products.

Your average 'big name' insurance companies don't offer 'agreed value' policies on late model cars because the cars' values are undeniably depreciating. Few clients, including yourself, want to pay the cost of over-insuring a car. That's what you are asking for. That car will depreciate below the policy's payout. Again - no offense to your mint 2010 low mileage Maserati GT S, but - to an insurer, it's just an asset that follows a certain value trajectory, which for the time being is downward.

My advice is don't get an agreed value policy on a late model car that is depreciating - no offense to your mint 2010 Maserati GT S. Just insure it along with your other daily drivers and be done with it.

Best,
    - Art

11. FerrariFinally

FerrariFinally Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2018
    Roseville, CA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great advice from a lot of folks here, and this is prompting me one day to give Chubb a call (when I find the time). Currently with Ameriprise through Costco. Home, umbrella and standard auto with 6 vehicles including 2 Maseratis (Quattroporte and Gransport). 4 other vehicles with American Modern/Heacock at agreed value.

A lot of factors into play here as others mentioned, including what state you are in.

12. shootermcgavin

Jul 10, 2016
    Chipping in as I'm looking into an MC myself. But just came from having an Aston insured through Grundy for 2.5 yrs at an agreed value of $60k and annual premium of $730. My issues w/it ultimately were all the rules/purposes on what it could/couldn't be driven for.