How Do Prices of TDF and 812 Make Sense? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Do Prices of TDF and 812 Make Sense?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by blockbuster, Jul 8, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Congratulations on your new TDF, and welcome to “the club”! Do I take it from your post that you have had the opportunity to track it now? I hope so - they are remarkable cars with SO much capacity to give more and more, depending wholly on your “risk appetite” for pushing it.

I agree, you can definitely feel the weight of the 812 in the turns compared to the TDF - they are different, but each is amazing in its own right

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Ferrari controls the market so well.

Sent from my 16M

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Listen to what this Tdf owner (and previous F12 owner) says WHILE he's driving an 812... Starting at about 1:20:

Caeruleus11, Bundy and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  4. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    #29 Lukeylikey, Dec 31, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    An interesting question is that many well respected journalists such as Bovingdon, Harris etc. did not get on with the TDF and it is certainly true that that car was Ferrari’s first go at rws. You could say they are ‘soft’ but Bovingdon absolutely raved at the Speciale and both (plus virtually every other journo) were smitten by the ultra raw F40. So, although I have never driven a TDF it seems there is something to their comments.

Here is my question; What makes a TDF attract criticism for what the in the F40 draws praise (I.e. that you have to be a good driver to master them)?

For reference I have an 812 coming, never really loved the F12 but would have had a TDF in a heartbeat, if I could, for the sound, looks, and that video of Kimi blowing vertical tyre smoke through the rear arch vents. Truth be told this last point alone was enough....! (Actually I’m not joking about that, which just proves to me that logic is irrelevant in buying these cars.)

5. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I own both the Speciale and Tdf. I've driven both in a variety of conditions. What I can tell you is that the Speciale is so easy to drive... No matter what you do outside of complete lunacy, the car rewards and makes you look/feel like a hero. The Tdf, on the other hand, has such insane capabilities that it absolutely requires respect, otherwise it will hurt you. Two entirely different drive dynamics.

6. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    My question was really about the F40 - why is that car lauded for being analogue and harder to drive whereas the TDF is criticised for being difficult to drive by the same journalists?

7. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Harris didn’t get on with the TDF???

Are we watching the same reviews? He was gobsmacked by it, and was in awe of the entire package.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
  9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My largest pet peeve with Ferrari owners is their arrogance when explaining a difference between two cars to someone (with no experience with them) is asking.
    Not every one is able to drive or own or even test these cars, good luck finding a TdF available for a test drive.........

10. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    harris practically released bodily fluids when he drove the tdf. and same for the f40.

i own both cars. the tdf is is a current example of what the modern and near modern era of cranking hp out of a NA v12 represents, and then it can brake, handle, and be driven on a daily basis if need be.

the F40 is automotive nirvana, it represents what cld be accomplished 30 years ago if you went outside the box. to say it has aged gracefully wld be an understatement and if it debuted today we wld all still be jaw dropped. It is the opposite of the tdf - it has zero technology. Owning an f40, CS, and TDF is in my opinion an amazing trifecta.

if the question is how can an f40 be good if the TDF gets praise it's an unfounded question. They are both exhilarating - they just get you there via different routes.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    and fwiw the TDF is nowhere near a CGT in terms of white knuckles. You dont know white knuckles until you have driven a CGT with the first set of oem tires.

12. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    Reading this thread is making me want to take my buddy up on his offer to drive his TDF.

13. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    What a truly gorgeous pairing. Thank you for sharing your insight, and especially thank you for sharing the lovely photos!

Caeruleus11 and LVP488 like this.
  14. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    What’s stopping you??? Get over to his place RIGHT NOW!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LVP488 and j09333 like this.
  15. My 1st

My 1st Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2017
    Gladwyne, PA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    GameMaker. If you’re too busy, I’d be honored to fill in for you.

16. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Yes, apologies, you’re right. There are many petrolhead journalists though who felt it is a car that was not quite right, yet they all loved the F40 - I chose a bad example in Harris but the point is still relevant. Even Harris seemed to question its sanity on his original fiorano drive of the car. He is the sort of journalist who loves that but in his written piece about the 812 he suggests Ferrari acknowledges the TDF was a step too far for the road.

willcrook and 4_Eff_Sake like this.
  17. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Thank you, you answered my question before I even asked...

Sent from my 16M

18. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The real question is 599 GTO or F12 TDF ???

19. 4_Eff_Sake

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Hugely subjective reply, but, “TDF. Absolutely, TDF.”

I had absolutely no desire to own a 599.

I was absolutely smitten by the TDF from the day it was announced.

But that is just one man’s very personal opinion . I’m sure many would go the other way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dustman, Roland1688, crinoid and 2 others like this.
  20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The 599 GTB is great but I have the feeling there is more improvement from the F12 (which is already better) to the TdF that from the 599 GTB to the 599 GTO.
    So definitely TdF for me (hypothetically of course).

crinoid likes this.
  21. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    #46 Eilig, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    Having driven both, I'll second this...

The biggest difference is the gearbox, not surprisingly. The explosive nature of gear changes in the Tdf is just night and day difference. But 599 GTO also just feels bigger. Brakes take longer to prime and are weak when cold. Creature comforts also weaker in GTO, especially A/C system. The thing I like most about the GTO, however, is the deeper sounding growl, which is more Enzo-like. Not better than the Tdf, but different and noticeably deeper/lower frequency. Both awesome cars nonetheless, but still a no-brainer toward Tdf, even considering price difference.

Roland1688 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    The price of the TDF makes sense because the car is an exclusive Ferrari with a limited series of 799 built. It also makes sense due to the fact that there are very few GT road cars that can outperform the TDF and the ones that can do it are even more exclusive and expensive.
    On the other hand the price of the 812 doesn't make sense and IMO the car is underpriced. The 812 is something unique because in the GT non exclusive production road segment the competition has nothing that is comparable. A road GT that on paper shows a performance similar to the TDF, has a more powerful engine, all that at a price new that is almost three times less of the TDFs second hand requesting prices, can only be considered a bargain.

Caeruleus11, LVP488 and j09333 like this.
  23. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I totaly agree.
    812 is underpriced!

But again, there aren’t many for this market segment.

Customers in for big v12 fr GT.

And the thing is 812 is sport than GT.

So people thinks they buy 812 expecting something special with GT nature of Bentley v12 GT or AM v12 GT.

And a few months later, they are for sale because it is lacking luxury and comfort than its cheaper rival.

It has too busy steering for GT, ride is too firm compared to rivals, lacks comfort and feels cheap inside than super luxury GTs.

So depriciation wise, one has to commit when purchasing 812 new since he or she will lose half of the price in less than 3 years.

And this is why Ferrari can not tag a higher price in my opinion. Thank god for this.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 and MDEL like this.
  24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I’d call the aventador a big gt

Twosherpaz likes this.
  25. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're right. But even Ferrari calls the 812 an extreme sports car. I haven't driven an F12tdf (yet!!! :) ) But I really loved the 812 I drove. The Lusso and Portofino are there for those who want a Ferrari GT. The Lusso is perfect as far as I am concerned

MDEL likes this.