Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 after two weeks | FerrariChat

Shell Rotella T synthetic 5w-40 after two weeks

Discussion in '308/328' started by Ferraripilot, Mar 26, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago I changed the oil in my '76 GTB with shell rotella T synthetic 5w-40 which is a group III synthetic oil which shell claims is very different than other group III oils. I never wanted to put it into the Ferrari because the Ferrari always had regular 20w-50 Castrol in it, but I used the rotella T synthetic in my Porsche's (mid 80's 3.2 911s) with fantastic results.

Anyway, I saw no point in starting a thread right after I changed the oil so I thought I would report back after I broke it in a bit. I have to say that my particular 308 had a small leak towards the front of the engine and that once my engine was thoroughly warmed, the valve train was a bit noisy (yes, the valves are adjusted correctly).

Well, two weeks and 500 miles have gone by and the oil leak is either gone, or I am just not seeing where it drips (it never did drip very much at all, perhaps a drop every other day onto a pan I cleaned daily). Although I never measured the exact decibel level of the valve train once completely warmed, my trick knee makes me believe it is quieter. I noticed the same valve train quieting phenomenon with a 3.2 Porsche I had.

So far so good, but the proof will be in the pudding because I am surely going to send a sample to blackstone labs to see exactly what this stuff is made of and of course report back. Very impressed thus far, and the piece of mind knowing I have much better flow at start-up when it is most needed is priceless. Who would have ever thought a synthetic oil would leak less if at all?

-j

George Vosburgh and neil e dale like this.
  2. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Certainly not I!

Interesting post, to say the least... I'll sure to follow this one for a while.

3. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    Good to hear. Rotella T is indeed a very good performance engine lubricant. I used to work for Shell (and PQS) in various capacities including their technical motorsport programs i.e. specialty lubricants and fuel, etc. Even some boat racers and alcohol drag racers loved Rotella. It would be interesting to compare Rotella to the current QS synthetics. I'm looking forward to your results from the labs.

4. bergxu

bergxu Formula 3

Aug 16, 2005
    OnTheSerpentMound
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    So since this is Rotella does that mean it has the same good high detergent properties as their 15W-40 diesel oil? This could be a dream come true for my Range Rover as those V8s create a ton of sludge even with overly-diligent maintenance and they happen to recommend a 5W-40 weight (which I use - but in German made Pentosin synthetic form). My two RRs engines are pretty clean inside but anything can always help!!

Cheers;
    Aaron
    '82 GTSi

5. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    good feedback, i am planning myself to use Mobil 1 15/50 syn in my 76.....i have used it in the tr with excellent results,no usage, no sweepage....im hoping for the same in the 308.

Any real difference between the Shell and Mobil 1 ?

6. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I surprised too! Where was the leak originating from before the oil change? Is it possible that new crush washers and properly torqued oil filted has solved the leak instead of the oil itself? If AEHaas comes into this forum, he'd likely have some great data on the Rotella to share about its performance.

7. BwanaJoe

BwanaJoe Formula 3

Oct 23, 2006
    Former Space Coast
    Full Name:
    Joe Burlein
    Is this the "rotella" I've heard still has zinc in it for our older engines? If so, I will change over for the Ferrari and the Triumph.

neil e dale likes this.
  8. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm not sure... and that's why AEHaas would be helpful. There are a ton of threads around Google about zinc levels in Rotella, but I try to avoid quoting anonymous internet sources as 'fact'. AEHaas has done specific research in this area, and I trust his input more than most jokers around the 'net.

9. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    To my knowledge, Rotella T synthetic has a much higher phospherous and zinc percentage than many other synthetics which I have been told is great for flat tappet engines, but do not quote me on this because this information is second hand. More second hand information yields a HTHS of around 4.2 which is fantastic for a 40 weight oil, but I will certainly find out the truth of that claim once I ship this stuff off to the labs.

On another note regarding Shell's group III base stock, I have read that it is the same base stock oil which is supplied to Ferrari's F1 team. If that's the case, I find it interesting that they are using a group III oil rather than some exotic group IV or V esther based stock.

Regarding if it is like Mobil 1 synthetic, I believe they are both group III synthetics, but Mobil 1 and Shell use different methods. Mobil 1 used to be group IV, but no longer. If memory serves me, group III oils cannot be called synthetic oils in Europe because a group III oil began its life and a regular dyno oil even though once it is hydrocracked it is anything but a dyno oil. If anyone knows their different processes I am sure the community would be interested in knowing. I recall reading something about Shell's hydrocracking process but I certainly would not be able to quote it with any accuracy.

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Regarding the small oil leak, I have no idea where it may be as I have not found any merit in delving in since it was indeed so minor.

And Rotella T synthetic is indeed like Rotella non-synthetic 15w-40 in that they are both deisel oils, but the synthetic passes both gasoline engine requirements and deisel engine requirements very well. To what extent I have no idea.

Can anyone tell me if the base stock for T synthetic is the same base stock in Shell Helix? I am now wondering if the only difference between the two is the additive packages.

11. RC2211

RC2211 Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rodolpho C
    As soon that you change oil from mineral to “synthetic” wich so much more detergents small leaks are very common in old engines! I would come back to mineral rotella t4

12. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    i dunno why a use synthetic oil in old Ferrari same a with old vintage classic moto bikes they cause leaks if the motor is a brand new rebuilt its ok thats my experience also synthet oil sometimes burns off in not to many miles i like valvoline 20/50 miner oil racing with zinc in the 328 i use motul full syn in 2 new Ducatis, its 19 per qort ! full syn oil comes from Bologna new

13. Cuddy K

Cuddy K Karting

Oct 30, 2017
    Full Name:
    Ian Karr
    holy resurrected thread, batman....

Smiles, neil e dale, thorn and 3 others like this.
  14. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    neil e dale and RC2211 like this.
  15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Why would one choose to use diesel oil...?

16. RC2211

RC2211 Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rodolpho C
    This can be use in any diesel or gas car!!! Don’t be fool by those companies!

neil e dale likes this.
  17. RC2211

RC2211 Rookie

Dec 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Rodolpho C
    I have been use this oil in sport cars, Maserati, Porsche, GTI, Audi S3 and RS4 also motorcycles CBR 1000 and Yamaha R6 and R1 no issues at all!!

18. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Automotive combustion engines basically have the same internals, and hence same wear surfaces, no matter what fuel is used. I assume it is blended and has additives that Shell believes are helpful for diesel engines (high temps and particulate contamination maybe?) but that does not preclude it from being used in engines that use other fuels. I would think the 5W40 rating is more critical than anything else but others probably have more knowledge on oil.

19. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    So, I shouldn't trust the people that make the oil, nor the other people that test and certify the oil....

....but I should trust you without hesitation, because you've not had an issue with CJ oil. Even though SN oil is readily available.

That is the key point: the fuel is different. The way the fuel is combusted is also different.

Read for yourself. :)

Others such as the API. I mean - seriously - if we aren't going to trust that the service category is important, why would we trust that the weight rating means anything either?

neil e dale likes this.
  20. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    So this was really a bait question?

21. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    How so ?

FYI I used to use synthetic 15/50 Mobil 1 in my 308 and it always smoked. I went back to 20/50 and a few oil changes later on the original Dino oil and the smoking has now stopped.

Odd I tell ya - but I prefer to use what was in the manual for the car after this experiment

22. Albert-LP

Albert-LP F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 1, 2010
    around Modena, Italy
    Full Name:
    Alberto Mantovani
    vintage cars usually are driven with cold oil as they tipically do a small short trip every now and then. I don't understand why many still put into the car the 20W-50, or a 15W-50 which are 40 years old oils that were good just at high speed on a motorway (100+ MPH). The 5W-40 or 5W-50 are much better oils that once didn't even exist. The 208-308-328 engine is a modern engine that doesn't require any extra zync or something like that. If it smokes or drinks a lot of oil, means it needs rebuiding or at least an head service (and not a different oil…).

ciao

neil e dale likes this.
  23. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes, it still has a high concentration ! (ZINC )

24. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #24 neil e dale, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    I have used Shell Rotella T-6 for over 30 + years in everything ! ( Including my highly stressed turbo Saab engines ) and believe I will use it in my 08' F430 ( will send a sample to Blackstone labs as well ) a petroleum engineer said he thought it was the best oil in the world! it is readily available and even rather inexpensive too! less than $20 a gallon at wal-mart! Yes, they did have to reformulate it slightly when they made it suitable for auto use as well, not just diesel but it still has a high concentration of zinc, et al . interestingly Blackstone labs say just about any good synthetic w / a good additive package will do as they all have to meet standards ..............and DO ! so it seems the typical arguing about which brand on an oil thread is pointless! LOL Image Unavailable, Please Login

RC2211 and Saabguy like this.
  25. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Shell also makes the same T6 oil in a 5W30 weight with lower levels of phosphorous which allows the oil to meet the API SN (for gasoline engines) standard. The higher level of phosphorous in the 5W40 prevent it from meeting the SN standard because the light level of phosphorous is bad for catalytic converters. The SN standard went into effect towards the end of 2017. Prior to that T6 was API SM approved for gas engines.

thorn and Albert-LP like this.