Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver | Page 16 | FerrariChat

Charles Leclerc, Ferrari Junior driver

Discussion in 'F1' started by Bas, May 14, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Vettel under pressure and head games lol. Vettel is not a good pressure driver. If Charles is Ricci #2 on Vettel there wont be a need for headgames from Vettel and he does not appear to be a good 'player' of them at all when under pressure. He is utterly consistent the last 2 years, childish and stupid outbursts on the radio and poorly timed/executed moves when he just needed to be patient. He is old enough now where he will have to literally fight to change himself to compete with a Charles that is beating him, if that is the case. I have zero faith in Vettel. He lacks race-craft and that is now evident over 2 years consistently.

He might surprise me but I have faith in the lack of change, significant change at his age. He has experience but that did not really show itself this year did it?? For me now Vettel talks the good game and executes a poor one when he needs to show the perfect one. Between LH and Charles or Max, Vettel is now out-classed unless he makes a decent and sound effort to change and drive as he should with 4 titles. Unfortunately he did not need much race craft winning them. He is over rated.

If Charles does beat him and I feel that is a real possibility given his record in other series and his progress at Sauber, Vettel leaves or stays as the #2 if Ferrari keep him at all. If Ferrari offer him a #2 role he would refuse it in my opinion. He already left one team when beaten by a Jr driver.

Nembo1777, kandi and ATBNM3 like this.
  2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Charles is an excellent driver, and the year at Sauber has given him an insight into how the F1 teams operate, but don’t forget, he will take time to acclimatise no matter how comfortable Ferrari try to make him feel. Vettel is no fool, he will enter the year with a refreshed mindset, and the challenge may either make him or break him, time will tell. In the meantime, we must remember that even Michael, while showing himself one of the two fastest drivers in F1 from his debut, still took time to become championship material with pressured mistakes early on, silly things that wouldn’t be happening later in his career. Charles may still be prone to a few of these, and with a competitor like the Mercedes, even a couple of those mistakes is enough to destroy a title challenge when things are so tight. In my opinion, Ferrari MUST concentrate on having Charles drive for the benefit of Sebastian this year, unless Sebastian at some point collapses under pressure. An internal race with Charles will mean Ferrari WILL NOT win any championships yet again, and that would be a travesty if this years car has the promise of last years.

Finally, the engineers need to be certain of the design ethos of the car, and be sure to recognise the good and the bad changes they make early enough that they do not spend a number of races chasing shadows

JimEakin, stavura, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  3. DF1

Charles does not have a maturity problem and thats why he was hired. He is mature for his age. I give Vettel 3-5 races to show an edge that is consistent over Charles. If not the knives will come out in the press and the rumors will be thick given the history Vettel had with Ricci. Charles is not MS or Vettel. We can offer parallels but his contemporaries think he can challenge and quickly at that. This is the story for the year along with Perez and Stroll LOL :)

daytona355 likes this.
  4. E60 M5

E60 M5 Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Jan 2, 2006
    Wash DC area
    Full Name:
    Robert
    I'm sure Charles was given the old " you are here to support the team and do what the team needs to win" speech.
    Then probably told, "give it a year, if you are better than Vettel, you can have your chance the following year".
    Just my guess...

Nembo1777, stavura, fil and 1 other person like this.
  5. DF1

Certainly a possibility

6. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    How long before we hear ''ehhh Sebastian ,Charles eeesa faster thanaa you'' ?

Nembo1777 and daytona355 like this.
  7. DF1

If Charles out qualifies him then what lol. Or is simply faster...then what. Restraining a faster Charles is not a good policy. Vettel now needs to fight for his position.

375+, daytona355 and Ferrari 308 GTB like this.
  8. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Seb gets the Kimi treatment ..poetic justice;)

DF1 and cairns like this.
  9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Having a goal of only two wins while driving a Ferrari seems to be the opposite of ambitious . . . IMO.

10. DF1

Kimi was kept too long and the team didnt grow with him around. Im glad they finally hired a distinct talent to move forward. Next up is to replace Arrive. He has no business running the team at all and is not at all a good solution for a manager. He should have been replaced as well.

I posted the difference between what Arrive says and what Mercedes do to be consistent winners and evolve as the season changes.

Nembo1777 and ingegnere like this.
  11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The problem with pre-season optimistic statements is that they could be quoted back at the end of the year and make their author look foolish too.

12. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I agree entirely.
    I think Arrivabene is one of the reasons for Ferrari's failure to win the title in 2018.

Dilusha, Nembo1777 and E60 M5 like this.
  13. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    +1

14. jgonzalesm6

jgonzalesm6 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    daytona355, P.Singhof and tifoso2728 like this.
  15. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    375+, william and jgonzalesm6 like this.
  16. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    jgonzalesm6 likes this.
  17. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    william likes this.
  18. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's how I read it too. "Two number one drivers never works."

william likes this.
  19. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    No team orders for the first five or six races. Then afterwards on a case by case basis depending on what the competition is doing. Let’s see what Ferrari have here-I’m excited.

DF1 and william like this.
  20. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales
    I say, Leclerc plays support role to Vettel...just for 2019... with the whole Binotto in all issue going on. Vettel wants 5. All the kid needs to do is bring the car home in 3rd place....or 2nd if he gets past Lewis which would be remarkable.

Nortonious and daytona355 like this.
  21. Nortonious

Nortonious Formula 3

Sep 20, 2018
    TX
    I'd agree and Arrivabene seemed to indicate Leclerc would be a de facto #2. Has Binotto weighed in on the matter?

22. Dilusha

Dilusha Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2016
    No, thank you! I'll have absolutely no hopes for any more Formula One with Vettel at the helm.

william likes this.
  23. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

I would not be surprised at all if Ferrari do not renew Vettel's contract at the end of 2019.
    I see the quick promotion of Leclerc to the Scuderia, as an early warning of that.
    Of course, Leclerc will have to prove himself this year, but I feel the decision has already been taken not to keep Vettel beyond this season.

Nembo1777 likes this.
  24. jgonzalesm6

Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2016
    Corpus Christi, Tx.
    Full Name:
    Joe R Gonzales