Anyone Else Had Problems with 360 Dash Leather? | FerrariChat

Anyone Else Had Problems with 360 Dash Leather?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aldo360, Dec 30, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aldo360

Aldo360 Rookie

Dec 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aldo Benato
    My 360 has various bubbles in the dash under the leather like the glue has worn out there.People have told me that this is common.I was hoping to hear from other people about their experience and how they fix this.I was thinking to re cover the dash with leather but finding the right leather would be hard ,it is better just to fix it.I had visons of injecting glue with a syring into the buble areas and then leaving it pressed down but I am no pro on dashboards

2. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My dash was tight in some spots. If I am not going to use the 360 for a period of time I put leatherique on by pouring in the dash and spreading it with my hand. The only part that is not perfect is around the piece above the inst cluster. I have heard you can steam it?

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Common issue but not easy to fix. The foam under the leather is disintegrating, not the glue. The only fix is to remove the dash and have it redone. There are a bunch of threads on here some are very detailed with photos.

docf and Dave rocks like this.
  4. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    It sure would be nice if someone came up with a very fluid glue that can be injected into spots with a medical style syringe small enough that the hole would be barely noticeable.

I count myself as lucky...although my car originated in Cali, it’s spent most of its life in Canada, so if this issue is sun related, it hasn’t been exposed as much.

5. Aldo360

Aldo360 Rookie

Dec 1, 2018
    Full Name:
    Aldo Benato
    Ok, but this sounds like if the foam is weak and broken then reconditioning the leather will not be the answer, it will just be more beautiful LOOSE leather.
    To save money I could inject some glue but I think it would look ugly after.Maybe re upholster the dash with suede or alcantra and make it Stradale style.

How sad because the leather is like new, few miles on those dead cows

6. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I had to have a bubble repaired on my 360. It’s the foam that degenerates under the leather. Would recommend highly that you have it professionally repaired. Not sure where you’re located but I had mine done at Coachtrim in Danbury CT. He was able to use the existing leather. Excellent work. Check the vents too. Sometimes the fasteners for them break and the vents stick up.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    It's a big job. It requires the removal of the whole dash to have it redone. When I had my 360 the first sign of trouble was when the defroster vents popped up and warped. After reading what was involved and the cost I traded for a 430 lol. My recollection was about $4k to do the job properly.

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
  9. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Part of the problem with the shrinking dash leather is that only the glue holds it in place, and the weak point is the foam which disintegrates with age and heat. The only mechanical attachment to the dash is the cheap plastic vents at the base of the windshield. My solution was to order 2 aluminum vent replacements from a forum member down under . Next I R&R the dash. It was a 2 day project one day out and 1 day in. The Aluminum pieces bolt thru the dash holding it in place and thus do not allow the leather to shrink.! I did pay an upholster $750 to stretch the leather back and install the aluminum vents. 2 years later, my dash still looks good. At the same time my air bag was becoming wavy also, I just carefully pulled the leather back, clean off and re glued. One of the reasons I went this route was that my cars dash was a special order and the dash matched the Cuio interior instead of black. My upholster said it is going to be impossible to match and the best solution if that was a problem for me was to change it to black. A non starter for me and big bucks!!

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  10. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    whatheheck and EZORED like this.
  11. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Thanks Rizzo! that the man!!!

12. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Definitely a must! I had the front part of my 430 dash recovered and had Rizzo308's vents installed. The tech was very impressed with them and they look great!

Sent from my Galaxy

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    100% correct as to the problem being the foam. Most will note decayed foam at times in the foot wells. If the dash leather like you said is good a professional should be able to handle it. These cars are at the youngest 14-15 yrs old. Foam will decay with age obviously.

14. unreelviper

unreelviper Karting

Jan 9, 2014
    DMV
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I too used Rizzo's alloy vents on my F430. I have not had one problem with his vents or the leather on the dash after it was redone. Fortunately for me, I had a friend who took the dash out for me( money saver).

15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    On some 360's & F430's I've seen the issue appears to be leather shrinkage around the area by the front dash vents.

It appears the dashboard leather was neglected and never seen any leather conditioner ever............

I highly recommend applying leather conditioner on the dashboard on a regular basis.

Dan

16. KWK6531

KWK6531 Rookie

May 15, 2004

17. KWK6531

KWK6531 Rookie

May 15, 2004
    I tried to DM you.
    How much for the vents and shipping time to Florida USA?

18. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    #19 jackgt, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    I got some, they are perfect and will not warp--

I read what works and what does not. I have more time than lots of money, and every year my dash lays down better. The leather is still there but dried up. Some spots like the rear quarters that get a lot of sun were like cardboard. Now the leather is thicker and pliable. In the west we do not know what rust is but the interiors suffer and you just have to take care of them EVERY YEAR.

19. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I had a set as well and they look nice. A couple of suggestion would be:
    1) The holes are through holes. They should either be countersunk for a flathead or a allen bolt so that the bolts sit flush with the top and not above. Heck, you could include a set of bolts that fit as well and it would make for a very finished product.