Balvenie 30 | FerrariChat

Balvenie 30

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by DoubleD33, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
    Has anyone purchased a bottle of this and were you disappointed?

I have had many different Balvenie’s and all were good but the price of this one is a little more than I want to take a shot in the dark at.

2. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Haven't had the 30yo, but as much as I collect great bottles, I'm reluctant to spend $900 or so on anything that leaves my body within 24 hours...I have a Macallan 25, which was insanely priced about 10 years ago at $185 (now at $1600-1800). In my experience, it tastes a little better than the 18 at 3x the price, and about the same as a 30yo. Except for having the experience, for me, I'd rather have 2-3 bottles of 18yo & call it a day. Sadly, I also have bottles I bought a few years back that have quadrupled in price, or gone off the market in favor of non-age statement bottles coming out now.

For Balvenie, their quality has really improved in the past decade. I had a chance to sit with one of their master distillers a few years ago to sample their wares, and he said they were going to challenge the traditional ultra market very soon. Being more frugal (cheap), for Balvenie, you could look at the Port Word 21 for about $200, or the Double Wood for about $150 or so as alternatives. That is, of course, unless you really want the 30, in which case the price will only go up, so get it now and enjoy it on a special day.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  3. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Never had the 30. I have a PortWood 21 that’s been at the back of my shelf for over 10 years. I planned to open it two years ago but that didn’t happen. One of these days...

4. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Balvenie has always been sweet and light for me and better with lunch. Some Islays really mellow nicely with age but I Spey like that? I dunno.

OTOH, I have always loved the Cadenheads Northport 11 - reminds me of a ballsy Balvenie.

DoubleD33 likes this.
  5. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    I’ve sampled the 30 and 40. Both good, once you have it you won’t go back to the regular balvenies (I find them lacking a full tasting profile)

darth550 and DoubleD33 like this.
  6. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    This is where I stand but I may not have the fully developed pallet yet. The most I have spent on a single bottle is around $300-$350. Every time I purchased one like this (Johnny Walker Blue and Dom Perignon) I always felt a little let down. I would easily have two bottles of Lagavulin 16 and multiple bottles of Moet / Vueve instead.

I will also state I am not in the financial position to drop that kind of money on a bottle.

7. DoubleD33

DoubleD33 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2012
    Pasadena, CA / Oahu, HI
    Full Name:
    Dan D
  8. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    It's weird, because it isn't really the cost, but the value. I've gotten Johnnie Walker Blue three times as gifts, and was surprised how much I liked it. Smooth, tasty, and it fit a lot of occasions, from impressing guests to sitting on the front porch. That said, every time I go through duty-free, I look at it, and the price is about $20 more than I think it should be. I compare it to eating at restaurants. For me, Marie Callender's and a few other spots are $10-15 more than they should be given the quality of the meal. I've gone to Guy Savoy or the Marine Room in San Diego, and thought they were well worth the value, even though the tab was ten times the cost of the Applebees of the world (apologies to any Applebees or Marie Callender's fans...).

I tend to try to pick up bottles that are from a region I like to see if they are worth getting another one or two to hold. If you like Speyside malts, try Monkey Shoulder, a blend from William Grant that is pretty good, and great at a $30USD price point. If you like Islay, expand from Laphroaig and Ardbeg to try Caol Ila 12yo (a little iodine and astringence in the taste, but great value at $55 or so) and Bunnahabhain, especially their 18yo, a bargain at $110 and a much more complex taste than many of the other peat monsters on the island.