DIY: F430 Front View Camera and Back Up Camera Installation | FerrariChat

DIY: F430 Front View Camera and Back Up Camera Installation

Discussion in '360/430' started by whatheheck, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    First things first – I’m posting for sharing knowledge & experience. I’m not here to argue or debate with anyone. I have better things to do.

Sharing here what I learned in case anyone wants to do this mod hopefully I can make it easier for you.

Situation: My F430 Spider didn’t come with back up camera or front view camera.

Difficult to see while backing up. Last thing I want is to damage the rear of my car or worse yet God forbid injure someone like a little child as I didn’t see him behind me while I’m backing up.

Reason 2: I scraped my front bumper twice already (ugh) on those darn parking cement stops, so it’s time to install also a front view camera.

I have a post here somewhere when I installed a wired back up camera. But I wasn’t happy with running wire connections all over car so I opted this time for wireless connection.

Products used:

Garmin GPS / Back Up Camera Monitor. Can handle up to 4 wireless cameras.
    Pros: easy installation, great GPS, however, video quality of cameras are just OK………

Parts list:
    • Garmin GPS: Garmin Drive Smart 61 LMT-S: $199.00
    • Back up camera: Garmin BC30. $140.00
    • Additional BC30 Camera Part number: 010-12242-20 for front view camera. $100.00
    Now I can fully see when Im backing up and no longer have to worry about scraping my front bumper or guessing how far my car is from the curb or worry about hitting someone when Im backing up.

Please see attached detailed DIY info sheet and photos below.

Hope this helps some of you.

Dan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.

Attached Files:

VAF84, chenglo1, John_K_348 and 7 others like this.
  3. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    By the way, level of difficulty from 1 - 10 being 10 = difficult: This is about a 3 in my opinion. Fairly easy.

Total time spent about 8 hours, 4 hours for rear and 4 hours for front camera taking my time.

Dan

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well done Dan! As always, thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge to others. Your detailed DIY posts are always welcomed.

XLNLIFE, Federal man and whatheheck like this.
  5. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    whatheheck and Manda racing like this.
  6. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the kind words Dave and Trevor!

Dan

7. TheDiffuser

TheDiffuser Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2017
    Full Name:
    The Diffuser
    Excellent write up this will give me the shove to get this done on my car, thanks for posting this, really good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whatheheck likes this.
  8. Bill ochrane

Bill ochrane Karting

Oct 26, 2018
    Galveston, Texas
    Full Name:
    William Cochrane
    Hey Dan,
    Nice job on the camera installations. I have a rear camera but I like the idea of a front view. Now that I learned from you there is a wireless setup available I will
    add that to my winter projects.
    What is this part for?
    • Additional BC30 Camera Part number: 010-12242-20 for front view camera. $100.00
    But I think I will mount the front camera in the drivers side black air intake area to the right of where you mounted your camera.
    I'll point the camera to the center for a good view but the camera won't be as visible to the public. Just say'n.
    Thanks
    BillyC

whatheheck likes this.
  9. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the appreciation. You're welcome!

Dan

10. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Billy, the BC-30 is the Wireless Back Up Camera which includes the wireless receiver and transmitter.
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00RVGXYJK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_5-1lCbBCGMD2Y

The BC-30 is the add on camera which I used for the front view:
    Garmin 010-12242-20 Add-On Camera & Transmitter for Bc (TM) 30 Backup Camera
    https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00XWRG1KQ/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ma2lCbMA6B8NX

As far as location &* placement of cameras - we each have a preference on where to put it. My preference is center placement as for me a front view camera not installed in center is just like a front plate not installed on center of bumper. Just looks odd.... But that's me. So you can certainly place it where you want as long as you have a good view of what's in front of the bumper.

Hope that helps.

Dan

psych0hans likes this.
  11. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hey Dan, great job! I've been wanting to do a front and rear camera, this gives me some idea. On the front camera could it be moved further back or would that obstruct the view?

whatheheck likes this.
  12. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Paul, thanks for the kind words.

Great question on front camera placement.
    • My recommendation is mount the front camera temporarily using small double back tape.
    • Now turn on parking lights to provide power to front camera. Turn on GPS monitor power and select Front Camera input.
    • You should now see the front view camera video displayed on the monitor.
    • Now move the front camera front / back/ side to side to your preferred location. Adjust placement as necessary to get a view good enough for you.

Hope that helps.

Dan

PKIM likes this.
  13. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    Great DIY write up Dan...I am now pricing out these cameras in Canada. I already have a compatible Garmin GPS.
    Do you have part numbers for the LED Side Marker Lights and any other lights you might have switched to LED

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

14. Sky Hye

Sky Hye Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2017
    SoCal
    Great thread. Certainly not easy installing or even documenting repairs. Thanks for taking the time to do this for us.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

whatheheck likes this.
  15. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for the kind words David.

The side marker bulbs are "194" type. There are many of them for sale at Amazon and eBay.

Here are a couple:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07BMSB7WV/ref=psdc_15730081_t1_B01DE7UC6C

https://smile.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-Bright-Chipsets-market/dp/B01DE7UC6C/ref=sr_1_8?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1546643677&sr=1-8&keywords=194+led+bulb#customerReviews

Just remember that some of them are polarized so if you insert them and they dont light up reverse the bulb 180 degrees and it should light up.

Regarding the rest of the LED bulbs, I have a post here somewhere on that. Just kindly do a search.

For all other LED bulbs I highly recommend Scud Ing Swiss exterior and interior LED bulbs (Just kindly do a Google Search).
    They are very well made and super bright. And the designer and owner Stef has excellent customer service.

Hope that helps.

Dan

KBR54 and cpep like this.
  16. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Thanks for making the time to express appreciation.

Sincerely appreciated.

Dan

17. KBR54

KBR54 Karting
    Owner

Sep 23, 2017
    Sylvan Lake Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    David Garratt
    whatheheck likes this.
  18. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    You are most welcome.

Im here if you or anyone have any questions about doing this installation.

Dan

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  19. deportm

deportm Karting

Jul 17, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Anthony Figueroa
    Dan, do you think the set up and equipment you used can be used on a 2002 360 Spyder?

20. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Yes, I believe so.

You can place the front and rear cameras on the same location, tap the power from the same car wiring, tuck the front camera wiring underneath the front bumper.

Hope that helps.

Dan

21. deportm

deportm Karting

Jul 17, 2017
    El Paso, TX
    Full Name:
    Anthony Figueroa
    Thanks, it does help, a lot!

whatheheck likes this.
  22. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Looking at your setup- can you just clarify if i am getting this right.
    Does the front camera just need a power supply or is it connected to the wireless box as well
    Same question with the rear camera, i understand how to pickup the power from the reverse light but does it have a cable going to the wireless box and if so how long.

23. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    Hi Mike,

The front view camera and rear view camera have the same wiring.
    The camera itself has one wire about 2 feet long, at the end is a narrow connector disconnect (so owners can feed the cable to a hole should they choose to drill a hole on their bumper).

The camera cable connects to a connector which has a long Y cable. One end of the Y cable goes the video transmitter ECU and stops there. The other end of the cable hooks up to vehicle power.

My recommendation is do what I do on any mod project. Go to the manufacturers website and download the installation manual and owners manual. This way I can learn in advance what the project entails and gives me a better understanding on how the system will need to be installed and how the system works so that when Im ready to do the project I can be efficient and do it quickly and properly.

Here you go: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/501486

https://support.garmin.com/support/manuals/manuals.htm?partNo=010-12242-10&language=en&country=US

Hope that helps.

Dan

f355spider likes this.
  24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Hi dan,
    I have seen the uk site for these instructions and i can see how you mounted the wireless box behind the front bumper, picking up the cable from the front camera and the power off the light.
    What i am not understanding is how you are getting the rear camera to the wireless box- is the rear camera just connected to the reverse light power supply and then transmitting a wireless signal to the wireless box behind the front bumper- this box then transmits a wireless signal to the sat nav screen. Or is there a long camera cable going rear to front to the wireless box

25. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    I understand your question better now.

The rear camera has the exact same wiring as the front camera and each have its own video transmitter box.

Power is tapped from the reverse lights for the back up camera.

When power is applied the transmitters sends the signal to the receiver.

The video signal receiver cable is included on the BC-30 Camera kit. That's the reason why the add on BC30 camera is cheaper as it it doesnt include the video receiver power cable that you will need to use to replace the power cable that came with the GPS Nav Screen.

It will all make sense once you read the BC-30 installation and owners manual.

Hope that helps.

Dan