308 Stereo use? Who really listens to it...... | FerrariChat

308 Stereo use? Who really listens to it......

Discussion in '308/328' started by built2grind, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    I got to thinking about this earlier. The original dealer installed stereo in my car wasn't that great. I never listened to it, always had it turned off. I was more interested in listening for problems within or just enjoying the sound of the engine/exhaust while driving and shifting through the gears. Thats what does it for me.

I was curious though, how many of us out there actually listen to the stereo in our 308's? Also, how many have upgraded our vintage sound system with a more modern head unit with amps/ EQ's and bumpin' speakers?

I, in fact removed my original dealer installed Blaupunkt stereo cassette and blanked it off with a radio delete plate. I kept it of course and didn't butcher any of the wires, just didn't like it in there.

ANDREW

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  2. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Many enthusiasts say all they need is the sound of the engine, but hearing 1000 rpm idle sitting in traffic for minutes on end doesn't particularly get my blood pumping. My car had a mid-2000's (or so) Pioneer CD deck installed when I bought it. I replaced it with a period-correct Alpine cassette deck from eBay. Looks much nicer. I do listen to it occasionally - it sounds about like you'd expect, with the 2 small door speakers and no extra amps/EQ. I've been surprised how many compliments I've gotten on my "old school stereo" from the younger crowd.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

I'd absolutely upgrade to an amp, 4 good speakers, sub, etc if it was possible to do a completely clean install. Unfortunately, there's no room in the cabin for such things.

Milkshaker0007 and Alex308qv like this.
  3. Schulz308

Schulz308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 21, 2014
    STL USA
    Simply do not even concider the stereo on any of my drives in a Ferrari.

I do like the look of the old two knob job on the dash tho. Its classic nowdays

4. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    I spent a lot of time reconfiguring the stereo system in my 308.

The first owner had a CD changer, subwoofer amp and power amp in the trunk. The subwoofer was behind the passenger footrest. Tweeters in the window crank holes. The head unit was a JVC CD Receiver KD-R730BT with Bluetooth, phone mic, and Sirius radio. Blah, blah … All through the car there was evidence of at least 3 prior stereo installations. Wires everywhere; from the engine compartment to the spare tire well.

I have a fancy audiophile-grade stereo in the house (power amp is a hotrodded Dynaco ST-70 tube amp if you must know).

After the first owner's Sirius subscription expired (I had a few free months of Sirius in the car), I went through the car and stripped out all the wiring and simplified. I kept the head unit and power amp (although I moved it to the driver's footwell). I kept the phone mic. I removed the Sirius equipment, CD changer, subwoofer and subwoofer amp. I upgraded the speakers including the tweeters in the window crank holes.

I never listen to the darned thing. I love that it can connect to my phone to play Google maps verbal instructions since the car is too noisy to hear the instructions from the phone speaker alone. That's it. I have a USB port on the faceplate of my head unit which I could play mp3 or m4a files, but I don't. And the car is too loud to use the phone mic while driving.

5. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Since I'm into music as much as into Ferrari I wanted a decent sound system in my carb 308 GTB.
    I have a Blaupunkt head unit with 2x30W. No EQs, no additional amps. He built in EQ of the head unit is sufficient to adjust to sound regarding the passenger room conditions. But the head unit is not so important. The original door speakers are plain crap. I upgraded to a pair of JBL-speakers which did fit without modifications.
    After that I was highly impressed, what's possible inside that little room. And I actually listen to music while sitting or going slow in traffic or listen to 70s Hard Rock while driving on a speed limit free -empty- german Autobahn :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

pegasus500, thorn and vaccarella like this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Last thing I want to listen to is another car. I have stock mufflers and a good stereo in the Ferraris and the Lamborghini.

mike996 likes this.
  7. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Which model? I completely agree that the head unit is way less important

8. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I have a Blaupunkt from the era, replacing the abominable digital thingie that was in the car when I bought it. No other changes. I agree that the OEM speakers are...well...mediocre at best but I've found them to be acceptable.

9. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Oooo! Oooo! Sacrilege! :D

10. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    JBL SR 130. Unfortunately this was already in the late 90s.These speakers are no more available.

Best from Germany
    Martin

vaccarella likes this.
  11. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    Your profile says '89 328.
    Did you ever listen to the OEM-speakers of a 70s or 1980 car car?

Best from Germany
    Martin

12. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Modern door speakers put out more bass than vintage ones. I got better more accurate bass from modern Infinity door speakers (Infinity Reference REF-6500CFX) than I did from the big subwoofer in the passenger's footwell. That is why I removed the subwoofer.

The Infinitys fit without needing to hack the metal of the door although drilling new mounting holes was required. A big issue is that the leather speaker grilles are pretty much sonically opaque. External tweeters help a lot.

vaccarella likes this.
  13. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I put in a bluetooth Kenwood and new speakers mainly because I couldn't hear the Google Maps navigation prompts from my phone.

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

The Lamborghini? I completely agree. Its hers, don't blame me.

15. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Try driving on a motorway/highway for @ 2 hours at a constant 80~90mph and see how long that glorious Ferrari engine sound keeps you entertained!

(I know you're going to say you never do that sort of driving anyway, but trust me, if you did, at a constant speed, the novelty of the noise does wear off!)

Not a 308, but in my 348 TS, I enjoyed many a drive with the roof off and the stereo playing a suitable driving soundtrack (including some nights driving to a very 1980's Miami Vice-esque soundtrack! - A bit corny, but soo enjoyable! :cool:)

Martin308GTB, thorn and mike996 like this.
  16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I agree. I typically don't even start one of the Ferrari's up if I am not going for a couple of hours. I got over the novelty of noise as a teenager. Besides, noise attracts the Police. Since driving quiet cars I drive no slower but I get zero tickets. Trust me, Police don't like noisy cars or their drivers. Got pulled over by a state trooper 2 weeks ago considerably over the limit. I just did my "Golly gee aw shucks I'm sorry" routine and got out of another. My other half couldn't believe it. 3 in a row she has seen me smile and say I'm sorry right out of a speeding ticket.

17. Alex308qv

Alex308qv Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    PA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Just like thorn, my '85 has an early-2000s Pioneer CD player, and I have a period-correct Blaupunkt cassette deck from eBay ready to go in, just for the proper look. PO put in better door speakers, but I don't listen to the radio.

18. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    What! Nobody here uses the Bluetooth Bose headset? :D LOL! I don’t even remember when is the last time I turned on my radio, it has been years and maybe because there’s no room for subwoofers :D

19. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Well...the speakers in my car ARE the OEM speakers for a US '89 328

20. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    I barely own a Bluetooth anything. ;)

Martin308GTB likes this.
  21. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  22. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    These? I'm looking around to see what fits the available depth without mods on a 78 308. Looks to me like the grilles on the older 308s are more acoustically transparent, which is great.

23. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #23 Martin308GTB, Jan 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    I own two bluetooth adaptors/receivers to connect my Ipad with a pair of old, ugly and dirty but still working PC active speakers to listen to the radio in my workshop/garage.
    And to connect my Ipad with my music equipment (mixer) for practice purposes.
    Bluetooth is convenient and spoils sound. But this doesn't matter because kids are excited about mp3-downloads played on a phone and amplified by a bluetooth scream-cube. Or played through "ear-pods". LOL.
    Even a high quality bluetooth receiver doesn't sound as good as when the source is connected with wires.
    If I want to really enjoy music at home I sometimes even go back to vinyl records on a 70s turntable I restored myself connected with a decent 90s Onkyo 9911 amplifier and a pair of B&W speakers. That's good enough for me :)

Best from Germany
    Martin

24. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    I have new kenwood head unit 6 a speaker sound with x overs in doors new amp under front bonnet new power sub woof behind passenger seat sounds very good in my
    328 with ipod

25. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Call me weird...I don’t use the radio function at all because I don’t want to wear out the motorized antenna to listen to FM. I do listen to CDs but very seldom. I, like others, enjoy the engine sound.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app