Anyone drive the Cullinan yet? | FerrariChat

Anyone drive the Cullinan yet?

Discussion in 'British' started by TeamF1Jr, Dec 29, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Just curious if any of you have driven it yet? They had a test drive event here in Ohio a day after Thanksgiving and I was out of town and missed it.

Anyone seen a PDF price list too?

of2worlds likes this.
  2. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    No, but Chris Harris's review of it is entertaining

3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have not driven one. But I’ve seen several on the road in Naples,FL.

They look even worse in real life than in pictures. IMHO.

Matt

mcimino, JAM1 and LI2782 like this.
  4. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I must be one of a very small minority who actually likes the way it looks (for an SUV), but I entirely agree with Mr. Harris that an estate car is preferable to an SUV (any SUV), which is why I have one as my DD and have done so for the last 25+ years - SUVs are not for me, thankyou. Unfortunately, neither R-R nor Bentley makes an estate car, so I'll have to stick with a Merc for the foreseeable (I am on my 3rd. E-class, which has just turned 100,000 miles and still going strong).

5. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

I like the way they looks.... obviously a Rolls. :)

Anyone notice (in Chris' video) that the RR center cap on the wheels always stays upright... doesn't spin with the wheel?

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Why wouldn’t you load up a Range Rover with all options and pocket the difference?

Matt

Flash G, 95spiderman and davidoloan like this.
  7. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife wanted an SUV, I offered a Cullinan or Lusso.
    She took the latter.

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Agree. They’re hideous.

My RR Wraith is the same. I believe Rolls began the static center caps when they brought the Phantom back.

9. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Bentayga has apparently flopped. I have a feeling RR may also be in for a rude awakening for the demand for such expensive SUVs.

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    The Bentayga has apparently flopped. I have a feeling RR may also be in for a rude awakening for the demand for such expensive SUVs.

11. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    but ive read the lambo suv is a hit. hard to figure

12. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    It is a flop because it is boring to drive and does not feel like a proper Bentley at all.
    It does feel like an upgraded version of Audi Q7 which it is in reality anyway.
    Cullinan will do well because it drives and feels like a Rolls.

13. JonathanElstein

JonathanElstein Karting

Oct 19, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Elstein
    I was lucky enough to be invited to test drive the Cullinan at Jack Barclay in London a few weeks ago. Apparently there is a fleet of six cars going round the main UK dealerships for a couple of days each. I drove for about an hour around central London (so not much opportunity to go above 30mph) but I have to say I was extremely impressed. Some thoughts:

- I know many people hate the idea of an SUV (particularly a Rolls-Royce one), but as a Porsche Cayenne owner I 'get' it. The seating position gives much better visibility compared to say my Bentley Turbo R, which makes the Cullinan quite usable around town. It's also not as wide as you might expect.

- The level of comfort (ride quality, quietness, quality of interior, automatic gear change) is quite exceptional, as it should be for a car that costs £275k without options and £375k as tested!

- The look of the interior wasn't to my personal taste, but there is a huge range of colour/material choices available so it should be possible to find something desirable.

- Even the gentleman from Goodwood who accompanied me admitted that the exterior appearance is an 'acquired taste'. That said, it does seem to be very colour-sensitive. There was an ivory white car outside the dealership which looked surprisingly nice, and after playing around with the online configurator I could also be tempted by silver.

- As mentioned above, there wasn't much opportunity to test performance, but even a gentle prod of the throttle resulted in some quite astonishing acceleration for a car of this size. This reinforces the 'effortless everywhere' impression which is what R-R are seeking.

- My impression from observing the other cars in the Jack Barclay showroom and the people testing the Cullinan is that the demographic for R-R is definitely changing. I was probably the oldest person there (at 52) and most of the cars were white on the outside, the inside or both. Not my taste, but I guess the brand has to evolve to survive.

In summary, if I had the requisite £350k+ and wanted a single car, I would be very tempted. The Cullinan does virtually everything my other cars do (sports, luxury, SUV) with not much evidence of compromise apart from the looks...

Jonathan

14. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    saw one in naples last week.
    also saw about 4000 bentaygas in naples - the grocery getter of choice for the port royal crowd apparently.

personally, i would not want either.
    ridiculous vehicles for fake car people.

15. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Saw my first Cullinan in person last week; it looked fairly good overall - similar to a Range Rover but perhaps more boxy. For sure it's not beautiful.

The Bentayga is hideous IMO, and deserves to be a flop.

The Lambo looks like a fancy Audi S7.

I'm afraid I just don't "get" the ultra luxury SUV thing, but there is a market for these for sure and some may sell well.

If I wanted an upper tier SUV I would be looking at something like an X5M or similar, anything beyond that is pure ego driven. But as Harris says, wealth and taste are often inversely proportional, so hey ......

16. Flash G

Flash G Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 24, 2006
    Hollywood Hills
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    ...and spot on.

17. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    #17 teak360, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    His phrasing is a little off, but he nailed the looks.
    "It looks, to me, like a Chinese knockoff of what they think a Rolls Royce SUV should look like."

JAM1 likes this.
  18. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    #18 Graz, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    When I first saw the Cullinan at its premier in NYC I wasn't all that impressed. I was invited to drive it later at the dealership. I have to say it looked better the 2nd time I saw it (maybe the premier car wasn't quite finished?). I was very impressed with the drive and the way it handled. For a huge vehicle it felt very light and quick. I see its market to be those who have unlimited money to burn (maybe pro-athletes or bored housewives?). Its not for me even if I wanted to throw 4-500K at a depreciating asset. For half the price a Bentley or Lambo SUV would make more sense relatively speaking. My Porsche Macan S makes the most sense for me (there is no substitute :))

19. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

I would but i can see how the badge and the fact that it says "I can shell out $500k on this and not worry" is appealing to some. It's like buying those Balenciaga sneakers that look like fake Nikes but cost $800. For those who know, they know you spent the money..

20. ntlr

ntlr Karting

Jan 25, 2015
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I drove one, and I like it. It out Range Rovers the Range Rover (on looks, drive, everything). It's just a bit big / brash / obvious, otherwise we'd be waiting for a of delivery one!

21. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I'm not sure how you can call a Bentayga a flop, Bentley is selling a TON of them. I spent some time in one with a Mansory exhaust and it makes it more appealing IMO.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Any recent owner reviews?
    Considering one ….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran