Time to say good bye after 40 years of DINO | FerrariChat

Time to say good bye after 40 years of DINO

Discussion in '206/246' started by Dino Club Germany, Jan 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dino Club Germany

Dino Club Germany Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    #1 Dino Club Germany, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2019
    The short story: I was 1988 when my dream came true and I bought my first Dino 246 GT (# 02130).
    Being a 22 years old student my finances only allowed to buy a wrecked car missing a lot of pieces.
    Looking for contacts a friend and I had a small booth at the early Techno Classica exhibition in Essen 1990. Result was the founding of the "DINO-IG" (IG= German for community) open for all cars
    equipped with the V6 engine (Fiat/Ferrari or Lancia). 1994 I traded # 2130 with 246 GT # 01706. In 1999 I published the first magazine called "Bella Machina" dealing around the topic DINO, this magazine is still existing and will have 20th anniversary this year. One year later in 2000 I initiated the German "Dino Owners Club" and organized our own homepage, yearly driving events, Club booth at TC and a technical seminar for Dino Services and repairs during winter time. In 2001 a young guy who was just starting with Dino´s joined. I gave him our Dino register database and after visit and test drive the recommendation not to buy visited the black GTS (# 04840) from Modena Motorsport he was interested in, unbelievable but true you all know him as Matthias.. 2009 the Dino Owners Club and the Fiat Dino Register went together and created the actual Dino Register Germany. 2010 I published the book "DINO" here in Germany trying in 2000 pcs to show everything around the Name with Racing history, Prototypes, Fiat and Lancia or Modells.
    2019: Due to private reasons my yellow GT is for sale now, as well as most of my Dino collectibles and spare parts. Keeping them for memories would make me sad, therefore some of you Guy´s hopefully can enjoy them. I will mention it here when I offer the rare stuff like Dino Dealer sign, key fobs, color & warranty cards etc.
    10 years here in the Forum was always a pleasure, All the best. Nicolai

LARRYH, Skippr1999 and UroTrash like this.
  2. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Sad to hear you are leaving us, Nicolai.:( All good wishes for the future.:)

UroTrash likes this.
  3. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    Im a GT4 Dino guy . But thanks for all you've done. Sorry you have to let her go. Good luck sir.

UroTrash likes this.
  4. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #4 celestialcoop, Jan 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
    Nico,
    I am sorry to read that you are parting with your lovely Dino and bidding us adieu.
    Thank you for sharing your pride of ownership, the many adventures and a plethora of lessons learned.
    My Best Regards to you and yours,
    Coop

5. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Nico,

You will be missed! I always enjoyed your open mind in discussing and sharing your knowledge on Dinos and having fun with them. I was inspired by the details of your Dino and how you made it your own statement. I wish you all the best and if you’re ever inclined, please PM me.

Best,
    Freeman

UroTrash likes this.
  6. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Good luck, doesn't mean that you cannot still contribute on this forum I hope
    I also hope you will not miss the ownership of the best looking car on the planet. I am sure it wasn't a easy decision to make after owning the car for so long.
    I know what you are going through having had similar thoughts about my car.
    Tony

LARRYH likes this.
  7. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Nicolai, selling an old car is not the worst that can happen in the world. Certainly we will miss your competent input unless you keep lurking, but there will still be Dino's out there to aquire should you get an oppertunity later in life. Wish you all the luck looking ahead.

Kind regards
    Peter

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Jan 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    So look... I had a similar story

I bought a totally beat up non-running Dino Gt (00908) for the grand total of $8000 (and my Father thought I had gone nuts) and over 2 years put it back on the road by my own hands and the help of some friends. I kept that car 15 years. I sold it and all the spare parts to someone who wanted to restore it and I never looked back.

And I'm still here (like it or not!).

I have really good memories of that car. The times I drove it from LA to the Monterey historics and the alternator went dead so I stopped 3 times to charge the battery at gas stations along the way, the time the Key broke in the ignition on a date and I hot wired it, the time the freeze plugs leaked water as I crossed the desert from Phoenix to LA in the middle of summer, the time the clutch cable snapped just as I put it inside my garage, the time someone ran up to me and tossed in his business card and yelled "if you want to sell this, call me!".

One of my favorites was buying used a Fiat 3P and then seeing that the trunk latch button was the same as the one missing on my Dino. OMG I was so happy that day!

But I just make new ones and keep moving.

So will you.

LARRYH, synchro and Camp Freddie like this.
  9. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    Nico, sorry to hear that, but we all understand that you have to do what is right for you. I know bettter than anybody how emotional and difficult your decision must be. My own Dino abstinence was only temporary but even that was painful enough. A Dino has a way of becoming a major part of your life, not just a collector car or a hobby.

But as Peter said, there is always a way back if you should decide to. Never say never. Perhaps it would be wise to hang on to the Dino memorabilia for while...

I also hope that you will continue to pitch in now and then with your opinions and experiences on this forum. I always enjoyed your inputs, your enthusiasm and your slightly different approach to Dino ownership. And, as you know, you and I share a fondness for certain Alfas and Fiats too. I remember you telling us about how, when you were a kid, your family went on vacation trips with you in the back of your father´s Duetto! That must have made an imprint on you (no pun intended) for life.

You have lots of friends on this forum, who would like to see and hear from you again.

Best,
    Lars

LARRYH likes this.
  10. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    It should be simple, unfortunately Dino has to go, there will be more Dino in the horizon, always.

Whereas, Nico we keep. Not too bad all things considered...

Seriously Nico, Happy New Year, and stick around.

Kind regards, Alberto

11. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    Thank you so much for your kind words of understanding and about still beeing apreciated here. If I would have the financial choice of course I would never sell the Dino. And even if unlikely, of course I would take the chance to get an 246 again whenever possible. That makes it a bit difficult about how to handle all the stuff around. I have to think about what makes no sense to keep with no car and what is still nice to have... As this community is really different to all all the other ones I guess I will keep contact and stay.

LARRYH, dgt, DinoLasse and 1 other person like this.
  12. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    :):):)

Boxer likes this.
  13. celestialcoop

celestialcoop Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 20, 2006
    Full Name:
    Coop
    #13 celestialcoop, Jan 6, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    Thanks for staying in the loop, Nico.
    You are a valued contributor and a good friend.
    Coop

swift53 likes this.
  14. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    Nico, very sad news.... ! Hope to see you at this years OGP Nürburgring, second weekend of August, when we plan to relounge Eurie Francorchamps Dino 246 GT #01266. Maybe you can join us with your father's Alfa Spider from the same race "Marathon de la Route 1971"

15. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    My Father gave me the Car and Documents some weeks ago. Currently no engine in it. But till August probably possible. Would you have a place for both cars together at the OGP?

16. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
    should be possible to get you a parking space in the Mercedes arena and to join the Dino group for 1 hour track time at "Nordschleife"

17. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott

Great write up summary of Dino issues, but not necessarily a sales advert!

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Dino's sell themselves. :)

LARRYH likes this.
  19. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    TheMayor, synchro and 19633500GT like this.
  20. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I am so sorry to hear that, Nico. Parting with the signs, the memorabilia, collected over the years must be very painful. But, yes, you have to do what you need to do. It is good you’re staying on.

With good wishes,

Andy

LARRYH likes this.
  21. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    Everything I collected during the last 34 years will be for sale on an Online Auction in two weeks, 14th and 15th of May.
    My Dino 246 GT # 1706 with spare M- Gearbox, my spare engine, 160 Items as Key Fob, Dino Sign, Dino Color chart etc.
    There will be almost 3500 automobilia Lots for sale, the 246 is the only car.
    Everything is sorted in alphabetic order, only Ferrari and Dino is shifted to the end to be online Saturday Afternoon CET /Sat. morning US Time.
    Ferrari Lots starts on page 57 with Lot No. 2833, Dino Lots starting on Page 70 with Lot 3474.
    Link: Automobilia Spring Auction | Ni-Cola Classics (nicola-ac.de)

synchro likes this.
  22. Dino Club Germany

Nov 10, 2008
    Germany
    Full Name:
    N. Schumacher
    Tobi likes this.
  23. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003