2019 Rolex 24 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

2019 Rolex 24

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Nov 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And then the bad news, Leigh Diffey will once again be in the broadcast booth for NBCS proving
    once again that sports car racing fans are the red-headed step children of the sports world.

Just how much more are we supposed to tolerate? 24 hours of Diffey's constant fan-boy carrying
    on, paraphrasing driver's pre-race press quotes as if they were directed to him personally, the constant
    "I had dinner with..." by the end of the race guys are going to be pulling an Elvis and shooting their
    TVs.

Calvin Fish, okay, but ranking him among top sports car drivers is a bit of a reach. At best, he ran
    for second tier teams such as the Leon Brothers' GTP March-Chevy teams during the GTP era. At
    least Allmendinger has driven a racing car in this century.

Anyone wanting to start a Go Fund Me project to send Diffey back to Australia, the line starts here.

https://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/diffey-fish-allmendinger-to-lead-nbc-sports-tv-team/

BHW

Sharknose likes this.
  2. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Quite an interesting prototype race going on now. Why aren't these cars running in the 24 hour race. With only 15 total prototypes entered for the 24, these 19 cars would certainly be welcome.

3. 400iGuy

400iGuy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 26, 2004
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Al
    It's awesome that Alex Zanardi is running the Daytona 24 hours this year! Saw him yesterday (Saturday) heading for the pits during afternoon practice. He must have been doing 25 mph in his wheelchair. Way to fast to get a photo.

Al

4. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    A Nascar driver talking about sportscar racing along with a screamer. Oh joy.

At least Calvin is still there.

5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    that's not really fair, Dinger has time in open wheel and sports cars, including a dozen starts and an overall win in the Rolex 24.

6. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    ... and five Champ Car victories

Jakuzzi, David Lind and GuyIncognito like this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Did you go to the Roar? If so how was it?

8. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    I was there for an hour. it was so crazy packed with fans I left. I enjoyed that event more when there were like 50 people at it.

(I live in Jacksonville and had to be in St Augustine that morning anyway, so not too far of a detour)

Jakuzzi likes this.
  9. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Amazing, yes, a friend who is also from St. Augustine was also there and reported the same thing.

I covered the first few Roars which had to have been before the split and I remember these being
    media-only type events.

DIS is so paranoid about fans running amok on their property, surprising they open this up now.

BHW

10. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    apparently DIS has formed some alliance with the Boy Scouts to create an event out of the Roar, and it's been wildly successful.

good for them-the sport needs to capture young fans.

David Lind likes this.
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I read that there were 6,000 scouts in attendance.

12. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Question, while I enjoy being down in the pits and in the mix of things, I also like having an oasis to retreat to.

What options are there to get into the " suites" or special lounge area's during the 24h ?

Is this $725 per ticket 3 day pass the way to go?:
    http://www.daytonainternationalspeedway.com/Events/2019/Rolex-24-At-DAYTONA/Fan-Hospitality.aspx

I may just watch during the day , then go to the hotel overnight , and come back Sunday after breakfast...

I will be in Miami Wed-Sat , I plan on dropping by The Breakers in the morning on the way to Daytona, get to the 24h Saturday afternoon , Then head back to DFW Sunday evening.

Opinions?

S

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    doesn't Ferrari do a hospitality tent/suite? they have in the past. usually just inside Turn 1

14. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    I THINK that was when Ferrari Challenge was running as a support event, which they are not doing this year... I am going to go ask though!

S

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I recall the Ferrari tent in Turn 1 as well from years past. I just did some googling and didn't see anything come up for this year.

I decided not to bother with a hotel for Saturday night. I did buy the parking outside of NASCAR 4 to catch an hour or 2 of sleep. I am going to try to stay up for the whole thing though.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  16. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Saturday was definitely more crowded than I have seen in the past. Sunday was more like I remember past Roars.

On the lighter side, who knew Kobayashi was so funny? On why he can do such fast driver changes “Look at me. I’m small.” On getting the phone call from Wayne Taylor “I say of course I know you. But I don’t know him.” And “It was 3:00 AM. I was still awake, and I was not drunk.”

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  18. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Agree, Leigh Diffey is so bad that sometimes I have to mute the volume during F1 races. His shouting, stating things he can't possibly know about what drivers are thinking, and complete misstatements are alarmingly bad.

19. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Penske is running a Comptech-inspired livery for Acura:

https://racer.com/2019/01/10/acura-taps-comptech-history-for-2019-arx-05-dpi-liveries/

RWatters and Devilsolsi like this.
  20. RWatters

RWatters Formula 3

Feb 21, 2006
    Kansas
    Jakuzzi likes this.
  21. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  22. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Sharknose and Jakuzzi like this.
  23. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Looking forward to watching the race. NWS forecast looks good for Saturday and Saturday night with temps in the 60s during the day and 50 overnight. 30 % chance of showers/thunderstorms Sunday. Wish I was there instead of the Pennsylvania deep freeze!

Jakuzzi likes this.
  24. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Spirit has some pretty cheap flights...

Just 4 days till the green flag for the Rolex. Final season for the C7.R. I am going to miss them. We are losing some of the variety that makes sports cars (and sports car racing) great.

Image Unavailable, Please Login DSC_0823E by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr

GuyIncognito and Jakuzzi like this.
  25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Rain ending early on Thursday, so a wet couple of practice sessions that morning. No matter. I have an umbrella.

Clear and sunny but cold (by Florida standards) on Friday for the Michelin Challenge 4 hour race. (I noticed at the Roar that F-Chat’s own @Ky1e has a couple of shiny new Caymans ready to go.)

Clear and cool on Saturday, chance of showers overnight and early Sunday. Sounds perfect!!

One of my and Mrs. Rosso’s favorite parts of the weekend is seeing the cars and crews all fresh and ready to go on Friday and Saturday, and then walking through the paddock after the race to see all the battered and war torn cars being pushed into transports by equally battered and war torn crews. Really gives a sense of just how tough this race is on both man and machine.

Ky1e, RWatters and Sharknose like this.