F355 Convertible Top Manual Conversion Help | FerrariChat

F355 Convertible Top Manual Conversion Help

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Mario Jedwabnik, Jan 6, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    So I followed the guide to convert my F355 Convertible to manual by following this recommended video:

I did everything exactly as the video described, however I'm having the same issue that is illustrated in this video:

The problem is that the top folds back part of the way, but won't fold past the last step. If anyone can help me or knows if a solution I would love to get some help.

(I ground the nut as described in the first video and is in the correct position.)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm not sure how much you know about the roof already, but the second bar (or "rib") back from the front of the windscreen needs to be in a certain position. ie. up instead of down (or vice versa.... I can never remember). This is normally assisted by functioning (strong) elastic straps. The guy in the second video found this to be the solution to his problem. Knowing how to position that bar is the key to proper roof operation. With weak straps, often the bar goes in the wrong direction if not manually assisted in the right direction. However, sometimes, even with good straps, it somehow goes in the wrong direction

3. Mario Jedwabnik

May 9, 2018
    Full Name:
    Mario Jedwabnik
    Thanks for the reply, do you have more information about the position of the bar? The second video does not show the results on how he made it function. I am not sure on how the bar should be positioned

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I think it's the first thin bar aft of the front rail.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Make sure it's fully up.

Failing that, perhaps it's some kind of hydraulic lock. Are you sure you followed the instructions?

5. RAC911

RAC911 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2006
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Ralph Cacace
    Check the fluid level on the pump.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The bar in the photo has to pushed back manually. Then it will fold down.

7. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    #7 490times, Mar 18, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Also having issues with this conversion.
    Right now my top will open but not close. When trying to close it does not align with the peg (which in the video is supposed to be removed and replaced with a ground down nut) but he says it needs to be ground down to get the top open!

...so how do I close it? :(

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

8. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Alrighty, nevermind. Removed that peg nut and replaced it with a regular nut. Goes up and down!

Excitement! Now to clean everything up and reassemble the trim pieces :)

Qavion likes this.
  9. 717

717 Rookie

Mar 22, 2014
    York, PA
    Full Name:
    Joseph G.
    I'm stuck at the same point. I've disconnected the small upper rams and have removed the lower rams and disconnected the hydraulic lines. I've relieved the pressure from the system via the screw in the side of the pump and disconnected the wire connector behind the driver's seat. The only thing I haven't done is disconnect the connection at the top operation switch. My top will not fold down. I believe it is because I haven't removed the long bolt with that big nut on the end...as there is an arm that rides on the outside of that nut that is not connected when you replace it with the smaller nut. I'm convinced that the top will fold down once that arm is disconnected and the nut it removed. However, I cannot get anything on the other end to keep it from just spinning. In the photo, it looks like you're using a thin wrench. Would you happen to remember what size it is? I'm going to have to purchase one, apparently.

thanks.

490times likes this.
  10. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    In my picture the black arm that looks like a wrench is part of the top frame... when trying to lower the top, it jams up on the stock nut unless you take it off and shave it down like in the video. Idk why it does, but it does!

11. 490times

490times Rookie

Nov 14, 2018
    Syracuse
    Full Name:
    Timothy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login In this picture, the black top arm is butting against the stock nut (kinda bronze silver looking horizontal cylinder piece) before I shaved it down... I think it was a 17mm nut and a 19mm head on the bolt?