F40 project. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

F40 project.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by sakne79, Jul 23, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    ok...glad to see some dreams never die.....quickly

2. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    as i recall-an incredibly detailed frame dimensional diagram for crash repairs exists in the shop manual?
    If so, a man with a REAL frame table-a scratch build race car fabricator- ought to be able to duplicate this pretty easily...
    In my experience, nobody cares what its for, what kind of engine or body kit is on it....
    what are the specs, how much is the budget?
    You could've had a frame done and duped 2 years ago-IMHO....

FORGET using late models as "frame donor" platforms as most prior to 430, as I recall, are all sub-frame/rear carriage semi-unit body manufacture..
    While the 288 utilized this construction, it was immediately decided that its way too flexible flyer for 500+ HP car with 335 tires etc...
    F-40 is an old school. last vestiges of the old school ways-beefy steel tube frames, some carbon but mostly fiberglass in the weak spots(USA clams are-if memory serves me as i get old and feeble-several HUNDRED pounds heavier mostly from glass used to strengthen body for pendulum crash testing in Ohio....)

trying to re-invent the wheel-especially one of the all time greats- is never a satisfactory substitute for a real "copy", or, a plan of your own vision...using today's bitchin' technology....
    ciao!

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Why did I just spend 20 mins reading through this? Absolutely nothing happened. This was like those threads where the OP has always dreamed of getting a Ferrari, but all he does for decades is research. Never buys car. In this case it was about making F40 in the garage...... and guess what? Nothing happened.

Just do something. Buy a 308. Buy a Mondial. Go drive it and enjoy it. Don't be one of those guys that talks and talks and nothing ever happens. Just pull the trigger.

Here's a shot of my old F40 as inspiration. It was a great car, but not the meaning of life. Whatever you do, just enjoy the drive!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade and JoeTSI like this.
  4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    And if you go along with your dream idea, I make new F40 motherboards to start with your electrics ! Just let me know in time because there is a waiting list of 10 boards (all kind of Ferraris) for the moment.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Guido

5. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Readers need to realise that these are typically side projects, just worked on as and when time allows. I have built two houses, adopted two children, got divorced etc etc since gathering together the components for my own build, as with all my projects it will get finished but is not high up on the priority list.

Also the ideas evolve over time, the spec of mine is far removed from when I first purchased the key components.

They are fun builds that's all.