250 valve cover replacement | FerrariChat

250 valve cover replacement

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, Jan 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    Considering replacement of cam cover gaskets on my GTE and have heard that it is difficult to replace the O-ring between the two cover sections. Can anyone provide some tips on best way to approach this? Also recommendation on where to buy gaskets/O-rings.

Posted this in technical forum as well

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    The o-ring is NOT designed to be replaced. There is a split in the top of it to enable the very careful removal of the cam and chain covers. Make sure you do not damage it as you remove the covers.

turbo-joe likes this.
  3. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    I notice a substantial amount of oil seeping from the interface between the two covers leading me to believe it might already be damaged. Interested in knowing a bit more about how to replace the O ring if required.

4. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Dyke, I hope you won't mind my attempt to expand your answer a little ?
    ... or at least that's my experience with later (Tipo 251) engines with multiple (10) O-rings between the heads and timing chain case. I assume GTE engine has similar design (with less O-rings ?).

I recently corrected similar leaks on a Tipo 251 (Daytona) engine and discovered evidence suggesting not only of the leak(s) having been there already in '75, but likely since the car & the engine were built new ('72), i.e. manufacturing defects (??).

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    bob, you mean the rectangle ring between the cylinder head and the chaincover? this you only can change when you loosen the chain cover. but as DRW46 already has written: not designed for replacing.
    the split at the top you put a little silicone seal between before you put on the cover, use a thin sheet metal, cut out a circle for the cam and put this metal in front of the rectangle ring, then put the valve cover on and remove the sheet metal.

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Timo is correct, as is Brian in the other thread you started. If your original o-ring is damaged, you can carefully cut it off at the head/chaincase surface and cut a new o-ring to match. Use extra silicone sealant to seal the two pieces together and also in EVERY corner of the cam cover gasket where it contacts any mating surfaces. While you need a fair amount of sealant, don't use so much that it that the excess squeezes into the insides of the engine.

7. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Damn auto-correct. Meant to say/write ...

8. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    There is also a step in the cam cover re-installation routine that is important to keeping the rubber seals in place. I'm referring to the temporary shim between the cam cover and sprocket cover. This is mentioned in the old manuals. If you are not familiar with it let us know and we'll oblige. Good luck.

john

fiatosca likes this.
  9. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    It has been so long since I took the cam covers off my 330GT that I only remember the care needed to put them back using a thin brass sheet with a semicircle cut out.

I vaguely remember square-section "O"-rings around the entire timing cover. Are they square?

10. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    It has been so long since I took the cam covers off my 330GT that I only remember the care needed to put them back using a thin brass sheet with a semicircle cut out and something to make the rubber slippery.

I vaguely remember square-section "O"-rings around the entire timing cover. Are they square?

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Get the green gaskets.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    yes

this I mentioned already in my post no.5, but I have written rectangle. so sorry for the wrong word ;)

13. Lowell

Lowell Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 17, 2005
    Santa Fe, NM
    Full Name:
    Lowell Brown
    I apologize. I somehow missed your post. It probably is rectangular. I don't remember.