Anyone ever heard of these people...? | FerrariChat

Anyone ever heard of these people...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 134282, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Gerry Sutterfield, Stan Nowak, Warren Fitzgerald, Richard
    Merritt, Godfrey Eaton, Geoff Willoughby, Ed Niles & Jess Pourret

...and/or know of their relationship(s) with Ferrari...? Any and all information/input/opinions is helpful... Thank you.

i'm doing my own research, but also thought i'd ask here, as well... Thanks...

2. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
  3. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yeah, i'm already doing that; just trying to troll for additional input from people in the community... Busy over there...? i need a lithium 12V battery for one of the antique phones here in the office; can you help...? It's gotta have glow in the dark terminals on it...

4. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Off the top of my head: Stan Nowak, Warren Fitzgerald, Richard
    Merritt, Godfrey Eaton have all authored books on Ferrari, specific models or just general history. The others probably have as well. Merritt currently works for the US DOT which, it seems to me, is like sleeping with the devil.

5. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Godfrey Eaton and Geoff Willoughby are authors of different Ferrari books.
    Merritt works for the US DOT (although I thought "Dick" instead of "Richard"
    is his first name...I could be wrong). Am not familiar with the rest.

Ron

6. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Mike, Ron - thank you.

Anyone else have any additional information...?

7. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    All are or were Ferrari enthusiasts back in the days when that was relatively uncommon. Dick Merritt and Warren Fitzgerald (both of whom worked in Detroit) co-authored the one of the first two thorough books on Ferrari. Dick retired and ended up working for the DOT; he's been a friend to many in that position. Fitz died quite a few years ago. Godfrey Eaton and Geoff Willoughby are/were both Engish, important figures in the establishment of the FOC/UK (Godfrey also died a few years ago.) Gerry Sutterfield was one of the early presidents of the FCA (he was also a Porsche dealer, with VERY strong ties with Porsche racing); he's retired in Florida, and just sold the 166 MM/53 he's owned for at least 20 years. Jess Pourret is French; he sold his GTO 10-15 years ago and took at 250 MM Spyder in trade. He moved to Thailand, where he's involved with the Ferrari distributor. I hear from him ever couple of months or so.

All except Gerry Sutterfield wrote Ferrari books.

(I forgot Stan Nowak -- another of the early true experts and authors. Stan died about 15 years ago. His "Ferrari 40 Years on the Road" is one of the best references to the early road cars.)

These are important names in the history of Ferrari ownership and enthusiasm.

8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    There was an article about Ed Niles in one of the Ferrari magazines a few years back. He used to import cars from Europe in the 60s and sell them in the US... the list of cars he has owned at one time or another was incredible-- probably 70-80 cars, most with important histories.

9. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Old Guy, my hat is off to you! You nailed the info. Ed Niles is a Los Angeles attorney and very early West Coast Ferrari enthusiast. He has been responsible for bringing over many important early Ferraris from Europe in the early days of the hobby. He is a real gentleman whom I hope you get to meet someday.

10. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Thanks, everyone; i really appreciate it...

Anyone ever meet any one of these folks...? Ever have a chance to chat with them...?

11. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    Hi, Debbie. I accidentally left Ed (who I've known almost as long as I've known you and Jim) off the list. I am one of the original members of WART, and still have my pin....

From another thread here you'll probably know who I am, but I'm trying after all these years to keep a low profile.

12. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Someone in the vintage forum wanted to start a thread on guessing who you are; Phil Hill or someone similar... i was gonna run with it, but then thought privacy should be respected... You certainly know your stuff, that's for sure...

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    Richard Merritt was also one of the founding members of the Ferrari Club of America back in 1960 (right year?). Like Ed Niles, there was a feature on Richard in either Forza or Cavallino last year that also listed the mind-blowing volume and quality of Ferraris that have passed through his hands over the last 40+ years. He has incredible stories of his dealings when Ferrari was new in this country w/ the likes of Chinetti Sr. and Al Garthwaite as well as such driving adventures such as almost freezing to death driving a 250LM to Detroit in a snowstorm. NNO, I believe he also drove the breadvan (in the late 60s I think?) in upstate New York during a snowstorm . . . I think the breadvan story was in the Forza/Cavallino issue. I may be getting stories confused - in any case, a few hours of Ferrarichat w/ Richard may be the most entertaining/memorable you'll ever have!

I believe his position in USDOT includes informing unwitting american buyers of gray market Ferraris that their new purchase was actually stolen in europe! He is the government's man on gray market cars.

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I actually spoke with Mr. Merritt at DOT on the phone regarding my car, prior to purchase. He was very helpful.

Only later reading (Cavallino?) on the series of early cars he owned was I made aware of his enthusiasm for the marque!

Recognize the author's names from my bookshelf.

15. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You can ask him a question, ..politely, and he'll answer!

Why worry about blowing his cover? Maybe he'll tell you if he LIKES you!

You should respect your elders. And maybe listen to them.....

They didn't get a theatre full of old cars, by accident. ;)

16. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I believe Nowak's "40 years ..." was updated, based upon work prior to his passing, completed by his friends.

17. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey man!

I know Gerry Sutterfield...PM me what you wanna know ill hook it up!

-ALLOUT

18. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

Oct 2001 Forza has an article about Ed Niles.

Forza's list of Dick Merritt's Ferraris are listed at http://home.earthlink.net/~fchat/images/MerrittCars.jpg

Intriguing quote from Prancing Horse 127 (1998) "Merritt sold his last Ferrari last year, and now amuses himself restoring a competition Bizzarini coupe. He is one of the few founding members who remains in the club, but is tiring of the high annual dues, feeling that his has already been amply paid. He thinks the annual meet, originally intended to be free, has goten particularly salty, and he wants the founders and past presidents to be able to attend with waived fees."

Other authors for your research

Gianni Rogliatti (The Ferrari, Ferrari & Pininfarina)
    Antoine Prunet (The Ferrari Legend: Road Cars)
    Hans Tanner (Ferrari)
    Dean Batchelor (series of Ferrari Buyers Guides)
    Marcel Massini (numerous books)(still actively writing)
    Gioachino Colombo (yes, that Colombo. Great book on the early engine development years)
    Keith Bluemel (several books, still active)

Photographers

Hartmut Lehbrink / Rainer Schlegelmilch (still very active)
    Brian Laban (still active)
    Louis Klemantaski
    Roger Hicks

19. Debbie

Debbie Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Central Florida
    Full Name:
    Debbie
    Hi Old Guy, your identity is safe with me. I guess it took an "Old Gal" to figure out your clue. Maybe I should sign Jim up as "Old Guy 2"! :)

20. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    I thought you might remember our conversation at Cavallino. It's hard to realize that it's been almost 30 years -- I regret not seeing some of the old crowd any more. Lotsa memories....

At least I can keep my hand in.

21. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Des, for what its worth, these books (and the people who wrote them) bring a perspective to what we now call vintage cars that is almost impossible to fathom. I know that you thrill at the sight and sound of an Enzo on the road (who wouldn't), but its unimaginable to think of seeing a 250SWB or 250LM blasting down a New York hi-way, something from the early 60's that was tiny, and all engine, and just driven hard/ raced and driven home, and not babied or treated like an icon, but just a serious car.
    Look at the pictures of the one-offs, particularly in the early 50's before real "production" (if you could call it that) began. Today, we make a big deal about what color the interior should be but could you imagine specifying almost everything about your car? (And, still not being sure you'd get what you ordered?)
    Before music videos and celebrities made it a given that every kid knows what one of the modern cars is? And to realize that many of these cars are truly rare, yet their owners just slogged the hell out of them, for the joy of driving?
    To me, its not just past history. And, its not about the "heritage" that the modern cars cling to, either. I think it was truly a different world then. I'm sorry i wasn't there.

22. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That Colombo book is great! I've got that one.

Great post Whart.

Imagine the woman in CA who finally got her 375MM from Enzo.
    He picked her colors! Here's your yellow car with bright green interior.
    He was mad she was going to use it as a road car instead of trackside glory, the story goes.

The car is still well cared for, today!

23. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Bill, i couldn't agree with you more; i would be nothing short of ecstatic to own a **** green 250 LM with yellow and purple polka dot interior; hot, uncomfortable cockpit and all, it would be thrilling... True, the NNO makes me weak, but that doesn't mean i've got tunnel vision when it comes to the vintage stuff... i'd rather learn how to drive a P4 10/10ths before i learning how to drive an NNO 10/10ths; there's just so much more to the vintage stuff...

The names i mentioned initially are names i ever hear of; so once i heard them, i wanted to latch and find out just who these folks were; sort of like the O.G.'s of Ferrari... i have some studying to do, that's for sure...

You're not alone, either, i'm sorry i missed it to... Everytime i read one of Mr. G.'s posts about flying down the Mulsanne or him watching someone else do it or whatever, i get a sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that i've missed something that i'll never get to experience first hand, no matter how accurate a recreation might be staged...

Thanks everyone, for your replies... i appreciate them all...

24. Bryan

Bryan Formula 3

#24 Bryan, Mar 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    From Dean Batchelor's "Illustrated Ferrari Buyer's Guide"
    1981. I do not know where this car is now, but as others have noted, I would take it in ANY color/interior.

I think that Mrs. Day is representative of the mindset that whart is trying to remind us about.

If you want a higher res image, check
    http://home.earthlink.net/~fchat/images/375MMHigh.jpg
    (300 kb)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    BryanP metioned Al Garthwaite. My car was originally sold by Chinetti-Garthwaite Imports in PA. Is this the same Gatrthwaite? Is the Chinetti related to Luigi Chinetti?

I would appreciate any information. Thank you.