Any Jensen Healey fans? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Any Jensen Healey fans?

Discussion in 'British' started by Texas Forever, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    ^^^ Wow! Some nice cars listed in those ads.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Interesting discussion here:

https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/6800/1-piece-versus-2-piece-drive-shaft

Not sure which vehicle this goes to. But it's a good example.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Wade,

That picture reminded me that the rear section of the JH driveshaft also telescoped via a splined shaft.
    And the whole thing weighed a ton.

In JH circles (admittedly a small one!), the biggest discussion always revolved around the bumpers. The early version had smaller bumpers with a chrome strip on top. The later version had much larger rubber bumpers. They caused as much division and argument as fender shields on a Ferrari do today!

The only other visual difference was a small fender shield with a British flag and “JH-5” denoting the five-speed transmission. On the inside, they added a clock and small dedication plate to the glove box door.

BOKE and Texas Forever like this.
  4. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
  5. Fiat2Ferrari

Fiat2Ferrari Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Chicago
    The current issue of Hagerty's (sp?) has a Jensen-Healey within. I don't know the context as I have not read the article yet. Just an fyi.

6. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    '74 is a pretty early production car, and these are cars I worked on as a young mechanic at an unattached European dealership that same period.
    I can honestly say that they came factory fresh with so many defective parts, that after doing dealer prep and service on them for six months I quit.
    The Lotus lump came with any number of designed in flaws; the previously mentioned cam cover, fragile exhaust studs, and dubious main seals to name a few. There were other issues with transmissions and assembly as well but you get the drift.
    About the only positive I can think of is that if the car is still extant, most of those things have been repaired,...once,...at least!

good luck!

energy88 and Texas Forever like this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    That’s the thing. Original owner, brought the car in 1975 for his wife. Now retired architect, has done own work for years, 150k miles, car run every week, owner selling because he is in his ‘70s and needs garage space

What’s scaring me is the image of a hand grenade with the pin pulled. Plus, I can’t find anybody in Houston that knows anything about these cars.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

8. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
  9. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    On second thought, Clint and I had a run in a few years ago. He insisted on charging me storage, but only after the fact. I always pay my bills, but I like to know when I'm being charged before being charged.

10. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    As far as maintenance and repair, the JH engine is really no different than the average British 4-banger.
    The main difference is the belts. But if you’re on this site, belts are no surprise either.
    I even changed a cylinder liner in my garage. The only “specialized” tool needed was an engine hoist....
    Most any shop that can work on British cars can work on a JH.
    Oh, the car is largely metric if that’s an issue.

By now, given the age and miles, most everything on that car has been fixed or replaced.
    As long as you keep the oil fresh and don’t overheat it, it should be any OK weekend runabout.
    I’d say your biggest challenge will be with cosmetics.

BOKE, Texas Forever and Wade like this.
  11. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Cosmetics I can deal with. Rust I can't.

BTW, here's the car, notice he doesn't say anything about rust. I'm gonna call him tomorrow.

https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/jensen-healey/unspecified/2170481.html#&gid=1&pid=10

12. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    That car looks amazingly original.
    From the speaker grills to the hardtop, belt shrouds to the shift knob !!
    There’s very few non-original or missing bits. Not sure I’d call the wheels “optional” they were the standard as far as I know. Only Dunlop wires were optional. The hardtop and stereo were indeed options, the hardtop being quite rare.

The only rust area to be concerned with is the floor pans. They are dished like an E-type Jag and neither top was very water tight. The car originally came with fitted rubber mats. If they got wet underneath, it took a long time to dry out if not removed. You’d want to check for sure, but from the pictures, it doesn’t look like the car spent much time in inclement weather. It does look sun worn though, as evidenced by the steering wheel and cracked wood dash. The floor pans are easily replaced BTW.

The 5-speed gearbox is a big plus. The car must have been close to the switch to the later version, often called mid-year or 74 1/2 cars.

You can always spot a respray by the headlight cowls, they were originally pained flat black on the inside.

The asking price is definitely above current market and SCM estimates, but not by much. You could make a case for it with its originallity. When compared to Triumphs and MGs of the same period, it seems like a decent price for a very original car.

BOKE and energy88 like this.
  13. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

14. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well... I did it. $8,250 for the car, and I’ll going to share in the expense of having a local Brit mechanic do some work in getting the car in tip top running shape. Oh Lord, what have I done?

Tenney, carnutdallas and wax like this.
  15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    May I remind you of your own signature line: "If you see it coming, duck." You didn't duck! ;)

Best wishes for a fun ownership experience! I'm sure it'll have its ups and downs, but hopefully many more ups. Looking forward to the stories. :)

16. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations! Well bought! Car looks like it will clean up nicely with a little elbow grease.

17. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    I've been watching this thread - didn't want to hex it by saying a word . . . Oh, ****!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Congrats !!

I think you’ll really enjoy the car and the ownership experience. I know I’ll enjoy hearing about the adventure.

19. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    It’s funny. I’ve spent more than that on one Ferrari repair bill. But old habits die hard.

20. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  21. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    I come up with similar comparisons, but a different calculation:

The Boxster is a very nice car (the wife's had 3 of them) but it has never made me want to go out just for a drive.

Remember the investment in memories. Good or bad, or maybe I should good AND bad, you'll have some memories with the car. I remember leaving Stanford and driving down PCH, reaching Orange County in just a hair over 7 hours. I remember getting chased by some redneck in a pickup truck along Hwy 10 in Pensacola because he didn't like my CA plates. And I remember limping back from Beeville with a ruptured radiator hose. Starting the car, racing up to 75mph, then shutting off the car and coasting a mile or so. Repeating that all the way to NAS Corpus. Wouldn't want to do any of that again, but damn, I wouldn't trade those memories for the full $15K.

22. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    BTW, I tracked down the guy who had the JH in the Hargerty article. When I get my car here, they'll be two running JHs in Houston. We might have to start a JH gang. Banditos watch out!

Ps. I have a rule against going backwards. It's bad luck. Because I have already owned a Boxster S, I can't buy another one.

23. Texas Forever

Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Last call for alcohol. Any last thoughts before I pull the trigger?

24. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    ??? I thought you bought the car 2 weeks ago. Or are you traveling to pick it up and have a road trip?