Member Big Green Egg Thread! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

Member Big Green Egg Thread!

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by rob lay, Jul 18, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    any more details? brine it etc? I have to bachelor it Wednesday night and want to try something different on BGE.

3. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    No Brine. These were your basic chicken thighs that I picked up from Stater Bro's for $.99/pound.

I have a 2 level grill (top level I made with a 18" grill rack and a couple of bolts)- key is to cook on the top level so that the chicken is further away from the hot coals and doesn't burn. Alternatively, you can just not fill up the firebowl all the way to the top so that you have a little more distance from the coals.

I normally shoot for around 300-325 degrees on the BGE thermometer, and find that it typically takes about an hour (usually a little less, depending on the size of the chicken parts). I put the chicken on the grill and don't disturb for about 3o minutes. At 30 minutes, I will flip them. Also, I notice that on my BGE, the rear tends to run a little hotter than the front part of the grill, so when I flip the chicken, I'll move the ones in the back to the front, and the fronts to the back. Then, I let them go another 20 minutes or so. I use a thermapen to check the temperatures, and will take them off if they are at or above 165 degrees internal temps. If they aren't quite there, temp wise, I'll leave them on for another 10 minutes and check again.

I used a rub from Dizzy Pig this time, but that can depend on mood, etc. If I feel like using a BBQ sauce, I will put it on a few minutes before the chicken comes off the grill. With the Dizzy Pig Crossroads rub that I used, I didn't use a BBQ sauce, though my wife and one of my kids adds a little Siracha on the side to dip it in.

Hope this helps.

rob lay likes this.
  4. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Wife is out of town and first night of snow is possible, I wanted something hearty and warm. Grilled Tuscan veal chop, gilled portabello with mozzella, asparagus and grilled caesar all on the BGE. If you have not tried veal chops on the BGE, you are really missing out. Washed it doen with a Ripasso, fantastic meal.

arizonaitalian likes this.
  5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    05011994 and arizonaitalian like this.
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    How much did it weigh uncooked? An hour per lb is a good rule of thumb. A thermometer is a better guide. I pull mine at ca. 195 F...T

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Here we go for game, came out great brown sugar and an additional mixed seasoning. Pheasant shot 2 weeks ago, duck this morning, and catfish caught this afternoon.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

slm likes this.
  11. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Big green egg is great, I have one. But wait till you get one of these, your BBQ will thank you. Now I'm all stumps (baby XL with bbq guru) and various charcoal fired webers. 3 22" one with dedicated rotisserie and one 26" which gets the most use. Also found that Lazzari mesquite charcoal is by far our favorite, even in the egg.

Do you have a bbq guru for your egg, it makes holding temps incredibly easy and on my stumps I stay within two degrees for as long as it's going. Better than my oven.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rob lay likes this.
  12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Last time on the BGE I probably hit it out of the park. Did a thick filet putting on temp pegged 800 degrees just S&P, was maybe best steak I've ever had. Also did my KC ribs really good (I'm pretty consistent with it now) 6 hours (3-2-1) at 225. Also my "Elk on a Striper Pole" (Elk, bacon, jalapeño, cheeses) and wild hog sausage with parmesan crisps and pepper jelly (appetizer).

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

arizonaitalian likes this.
  13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I want to try my first brisket Saturday. Please send tips! I had friend do one on my BGE, but I've never done it.

14. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    tomc and rob lay like this.
  15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    My free bits of advice...1) Use the Texas crutch (aluminum foil) while you're perfecting your protocol, 2) experiment with a couple of diff woods to see which flavor you like most (I prefer oak over pecan over everything else), 3) don't over-trim the brisket before cooking, and 4) keep the rub simple, so it doesn't overpower the beefy taste of brisket.

T

16. vincent355

vincent355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2003
    Wine Country
    Full Name:
    Vincent
    Get the best brisket you can. Trim it, but leave some fat on 1/8" thick. I wrap it around 165 to finish. Salt and pepper only. I use a minimal amount of wood, I think it gets too bitter for my taste.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  18. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Flat brisket (add fresh coffee grounds to the rub)5-7 lb brisket ( make sure one side has a nice white fat pad) Fast rub (Butt Rub) Add Addition fresh garlic powder to 2 1/2/cup of Butt rub,1/2tsp fresh coffee grounds. Season liberally with mixture. Let it sit 45min. then paint sparingly the seasoned briskett with virgin olive oi. Let that sit addition 15 min to set the spicees before grill time. Set BGE for indirect cooking 235 F. Place a water bath on your BGE Indirect Cooking ceramic plate. Use med hickory for smoke(alternate if < Smoke flavor use Pecon). . Cook brisket fat side down for 1 hr., then flip to fat side up to an internal meat temp of 160 degrees. ( 5 # approx 6 hrs.)
    Then lay double thick layer Al. foil and lay brisket fat side up. pull foil around brisket and carefully pour 3/4 cup of black coffee into the foil (careful not to punct. foil.) At the 160 degree mark - Remain indirect , but remove the water bath from the indirect water bath table to hasen the cooking. Cook at same temp (indirect) until meat core temp 196-200degree. It will take approx 2.5-3.0 hrs once you have added the coffee. Briskets are funny however and sort of have a mind of their end temp as to timing.
    When the brisket has reached the desired temp let it rest sealed in the coffee/juices mixture for 30 min.
    Slice the brisket perpendicular to the grain of the meat in 4-5 mm slices. Only cut slides per demand at the time to conserve the juices & tenderness. If your going to refrigerate some or all allow it to cool for 2 hrs before doing so as this will preserve it's taste and tenderness.
    Never reheat in Micro Wave. Set in oven @ 300 with your brisket and enough broth to cover the base for 20 min - 1hr depending on thickness of the refrig. meat

rob lay likes this.
  19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Looks good! What's the internal temp? Eventually the internal temperature will stall. Good guestimate is 1 hr/lb to reach doneness. I pull my briskets off at 205 F.
    T

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    powerpig and tomc like this.
  21. powerpig

powerpig F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 12, 2008
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Looks great! You probably already know this, but make sure you carve it against the grain.

rob lay likes this.
  22. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  23. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000