How to put a 328 on a lift? | FerrariChat

How to put a 328 on a lift?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Morrie, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Morrie

Morrie Karting

Nov 4, 2003
    Sarasota/Asheville
    It's due for new tires tomorrow. The owners manual doesn't mention anything about it.

I haven't had time to take a good look underneath yet. Are the jacking points obvious?

2. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    Lifting a 328 is not too hard once you find the right points. To change my wheels, I use a scissors jack. The rear lift points are just ahead of the wheel openings. Sort of a flat spot. Make sure you don't lift on the body, but a piece that is on the frame. Also, you can go in from the back, and look for a crossmember that is just ahead of the muffler. On the front, any part of the diaganol frame rail that is inside the front wheel well. It starts behind the wheel and angles in as it moves forward at about 45 degrees.

I lift each corner seperately, but if you want to lift the entire car at once, look for the same points. The dealer has to lift each side of the car to get the garage lift underneath, due to the low height.

3. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I concur with Mule. We did an oil change on my car here at the dealership last week and we first had to lift the car with wooden ramps before we were able to get the car high enough to get the lift arms underneath of it. Once the car is high enough it was easy to find the proper lift points.

4. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I lift mine on these points and the targa top still opens 3/8" so unlatch it before lifting the doors also could get tighter to open.

5. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    For the aft end for a lift... the best place I have found is the corners of the cross brace just forward of the motor where the motor mounts attach. This cross brace supports the motor and attaches to the frame rails. These are just in front of the wheels, just aft and inboard of the gas tanks. The yellow bars with the rubber pad is my lift. The screw jacks are safety stands. You can jack also against those support braces for the motor mounts where they have angle braces welded to them.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

This is the front... the best place to lift is just behind the wheel where you can see the frame cross bracing coming down to the frame.. right where they point to is the best lift point give or take 6". Those braces will distribute the lift load into the frame. In this picture the front upper and lower wishbones and shock are are removed. You can see these cross braces just above the orange safety stands and the yellow lift arm.

Using these locations is also balanced on the lift. The center of gravity on the car is the just in front of the seat backs... about where your wallet is when you are driving.

6. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
  7. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    and one from the side of the car...center lift post is at the door back edge... where the back of the drivers seat is. The front lift arms are extended more than the back... So the jack post is at the CG point but the arms are lifting at the places I indicated above. The car is very stable lifted this way.

I always use safety stands

JohnnyStampa likes this.
  8. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    If you lift it this way the targa top will not be loaded up. For the engineers in the crowd... the bending moments at these lift points are near zero.

9. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    If the targa top is unloaded, then bending moments are actually highest at the lift points.

10. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    That color works quite well on that body. imho Beautiful car!!

12. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    You are right I lift mine at the regular 4 points and the top opens up by 3/8" I always unlatch the targa top,I have a scissor lift and it won't reach that far back from the front points but I never had a problem.

13. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Hm, my four post lift does not mess with the targa top, at all.