308 Fuel Leak | FerrariChat

308 Fuel Leak

Discussion in '308/328' started by mattboyd, Jan 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    There is definitely a fuel leak coming from my car. A quick look under the car revealed the leak...this is where the fuel tank crossover pipe connects to the passenger side tank.

Based on your experience, what is the likelihood this is more than just the hose. I'm going to replace both hoses and all four hose clamps. I could take the tank out too and get it pressure tested...
    -matt
    '85 euro 308

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. miketuason

miketuason F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2006
    Cerritos, CA.
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Looks like you just have a bad hose, unlikely but hopefully no holes or crack on the tank.

absostone likes this.
  3. dsboehmer

dsboehmer Rookie

Jun 16, 2016
    I had the exact same issue recently. It turned out to be cracked vent lines up at the top of the passenger side tank. Those lines are rubber and over time they got brittle and cracked and when I had a decent amount of fuel in the tank, it would slosh out. I pulled the tank, replaced *ALL* the rubber fuel lines and the problem went away. The tanks are fairly rugged, hopefully it's just a rubber hose/line. Good luck on it!

4. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    I got mine from GTCarparts in Az. like 40bux each a few years back. Came in Ferrari packaging

dsboehmer likes this.
  5. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    ill bet the hose is cracked where the worm screw and clamp meet because its wet all over the screw above the hose

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    those hoses are known to leak after … 20 years....

308 milano likes this.
  7. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    That crossover hose looks past it’s prime. Don’t mess around and take chances, change them all.
    Scuderia Rampante ( Dave Helms) Erie Colorado. Sells a superior hose set I run on all my cars. Aprox. $300 includes all clamps. 2cts

mwr4440 and Crowndog like this.
  8. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    I haven't been too active on f-chat in a while, but I do most of the maintenance on my 308. I'm at about 111k miles now, but I did do all the fuel hoses in the past. Honestly though, it probably has been close to 20 years ago, I'd have to look back in my records. I remember in particular how hardened the vent hoses for the upper crossover (vent) pipe were.

Those hoses from SRI look very nice but are quite pricey. Rob Garven recommended them as well. Why so expensive though?? If the OEM hoses last 20 years, how long will these last? I guess they're less rigid and easier to install. They're nearly tenfold the cost of the OEM! Pretty, though...:) Help convince me to or not to buy those...

9. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    #9 308 milano, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Certainly you can use less expensive hose and many here would advocate that. I look at it as money well spent purchasing the very best product available and minimizing fire potential rather than save a buck and watching my Ferrari go up in flames. As I said, many here would probably disagree But this works best for me. Have used the SRI fuel hose on all three of my cars.

mwr4440 and Crowndog like this.
  10. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Thanks for the reply, and on the very most important safety items (brakes, fuel, etc) I absolutely concur. But what makes these hoses better? Not trying to debate, just trying to figure out what is different with these hoses?

11. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Also, in response to a comment above about it being unlikely that it is the tank as they are rugged -- I hope you're right. One time many years ago I had a fuel leak issue -- that one was worse, you could smell it all over the house. I went down into the basement and then garage and heard a ticking noise and then silence. It repeated every several minutes. I opened the rear deck lid and tried to isolate the sound.

Long story short, the driver side fuel tank (not the one pictured above in this thread) had developed a pinhole leak. Apparently pressure would build up in the tank every several minutes and was relieved when a tiny squirt of fuel finally passed through this tiny pinhole leak. I removed the tank and brought it to a shop for a weld repair and repaint.

12. dinoart

dinoart Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 30, 2004
    Westminster CA
    Full Name:
    David
    I had a similar leak on the passenger side fuel tank connector hose on my 85 QV GTS. It stank the whole garage very bad. Couldn't wait to order from the Ferrari part store. I took the bad hose to my local auto part store. I matched it up with one of a random curve radiator hose cut it in the same length and replaced both sides. I picked a heavy duty double layer hose. It was a $15 easy fix and don't know how long that will last. Good thing I had only 5 gallons left because you have to drain both tanks.

13. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Do not use radiator hose. Fuel will destroy it.

Saabguy likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    SRI hoses are best of the best, except that they are very pricey, and their coolant hoses do leak. They require very high clamp tension because they are silicone. The $40 factory hoses (that is $10 per inch) lasts 34 years, how much longer do you need them to last?

absostone likes this.
  15. conan

conan Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2011
    Any car part should last 15 years or maybe 17 like some OEMs require.

Sounds like the OEM is overspecified (34 years), but some say OEM only lasts a month.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    That hose doesn't look very old, in fact aside from the dirt it looks fairly new. I'd take out the inner fender and see if the leak is up on top and running down.

The coolant hose above it is definitely a recent replacement. Looks like a Gates hose.

When those fuel hoses age they shrink in the middle and look a little hour glass shaped and that one has none of that.

waymar likes this.
  17. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Debate is good! It’s when you start calling one another *** clowns and threaten to kick some butt that it gets a little sketchy LOL Timing belt threads come to mind!

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    SRI hoses I believe are silicon composite and designed to handle the dog water they call gasoline with ethanol in it. A lot of testing and work went into those hoses so you are also paying for the R&D that went into them. Awful color but the best no doubt. I use them. The kit is bespoke for our cars.

308 milano likes this.
  19. cmt6891

cmt6891 Formula 3

Feb 25, 2008
    Encino, Ca
    Full Name:
    Carl T
    Yes the coolant hose looks like a Gates Green Stripe. Agree, fuel hose looks to be in good shape.

20. ferrariowner

ferrariowner Formula 3

Feb 21, 2014
    Mansfield, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    If you have a tank leak, let me offer another method to repair it other than welding. Use a product called Proseal. It is designed to seal fuel tanks on aircraft. It is an epoxy type material and can be used to plug a hole in the tank without removing the tank. Properly applied it will be permanent. Do not get it on your hands! It is a pain to remove the tank plus making the tank safe to weld. I have had great luck with it on airplanes and Ferrari fuel tanks.
    BTW. It is grey in color and matches the paint on the tanks.

Saabguy and Hannibal308 like this.
  21. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Sorry, but there is zero reason to pay $300 for a fuel hose set when there are several top quality hose products available for a fraction of that and they look way better.

22. 308 milano

308 milano F1 Veteran

Jan 15, 2007
    Montana
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Same argument can be made against spending $400 on a manual when a copy can be purchased for $60. We all want what we want. :)

Hannibal308 likes this.
  23. mattboyd

mattboyd Karting

Dec 14, 2003
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    Matt Boyd
    Good catch on the Gates Green Stripe. Yeah, back when I drove the car a lot more, I did a lot more "preventative maintenance" than I do now that it mostly isn't being run (I'm probably driving it only about once a month now). I bought the coolant hose in the normal straight sticks and cut it all to size -- had to get only the one curved one at the radiator OEM as I recall. None of it was leaking, I just decided to do it. Same with those fuel hoses when I did them, maybe I was doing a fuel filter or something at the time, I don't remember, but I just decided to do it proactively.

24. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Read the Porsche Classics* (for example, Fuel Hose) problem columns. They are an absolute GOLD MINE of data and experience.

Lots MORE cars.

Lots MORE problems.

LOTS MORE Discussion.

Turns out at least fuel hose-wise, even the OEM Parts Maker's New parts, SUPPOSEDLY MADE for today's Mouse-Pee we call 'gas' is causing NEW Parts to FAIL within months to a year, TOPS.

AND, Bottom Line, the OEM Original/NEW Parts manufacturers when presented with all the evidence, DON'T CARE. They just make excuses that are often CONTRADICTORY to their advertised and sold, part operating specs as acceptable 'reason for failure.'

Over fuel hoses, the Porsche Guys are HIGHLY PO'd and really scratching their heads for a solution at almost ANY Price.

Many, Indy Porche Mechs as noted in their field as any of our F-Car Indies here, are running hundreds if not thousands of their own Recalls out of their own pockets, over cars they just serviced. Dealer Garages ... NOT. A. PEEP.

* - Our cars are NOT Porches, BUT both Maranello and Stuttgart used the EXACT same suppliers for MANY parts back-in-the-day and STILL DO for their Classiche Departments.

In many ways, our two marquees are nearly indistinguishable mechanically, and except for the Horseys on the hood.

Let the Buyer Beware.

25. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Last month, when I asked, the local supplier had Gates in green, yellow and white stripes. One of them, white I think, is gas rated.