Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Automotive International 1978 308 GTS - Complete Restoration

Discussion in '308/328' started by PETER@TEAM AI, Oct 11, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    Amazing. Love the pics. Maybe the market won't reward you for the expense but if you have the cash than so what! If it's worth it to you it's worth it. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!

2. PETER@TEAM AI

PETER@TEAM AI Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    We are doing it in the same sequence we understand, from our research, Ferrari did it originally. And honestly we have done a lot of paint and restoration over 18+ years and we cannot think of another way to sequence. Of course Ferrari did a lot more so there is an experience factor which may shave some time but the process, it would be nearly identical.

3. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Of course they did use some robotic spraying.
    Your work is far superior to the automation of that time.

4. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert
    See here:

Thomas Magnum likes this.
  5. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    My suspicion is yes, Ferrari painted the body colour first, and then painted the pillars black.

My reasoning is, with the earlier 348's that came 5 years later, the lower panels and part of the engine cover were painted black, but underneath the black paint, the cars are body coloured.

(The "facelift" later 348's have colour-coded lower panels and engine cover [i.e, Ferrari simply stopped bothering to add the black paint onto top later on, to "modernise" the cars] )

6. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    So while we are there we decide the many panels were ok but not up to the standard we wanted for this car. So while all the painting was going on we off to our fab area to fabricate new trunk floor panels, firewall, belly pan and access/cover plate and fuel tank panels. We also installed all new insulation. Highlights below: Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Since every nut, bolt, screw, fastener, clamp and clip came off the car we went through each one to determine the original state of the part. We then cleaned and sorted all and categorized as to needed finish: unfinished, anodized, cadmium, painted etc. Some we just needed to replace and sourced the correct ones over time. And some of the sorting process and final products were captured below.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [/ATTACH] Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
  9. tifoso2728

tifoso2728 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Apr 30, 2014
    IL
    Full Name:
    DRM
    Wow! Great stuff. Thanks for sharing with us.

10. Milkshaker0007

Milkshaker0007 Formula Junior

Sep 22, 2012
    Midlands,uk
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Wow!!!!!
    Can you send me a paper template of that foam on the bulkhead :) so I can make my own and fit with engine in situ, cheeky I know but I had to ask
    Great work your doing, keep the progress reports coming.

11. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Paul

I will see if we have one and can send, will probably be after Cavallino if we do as that is a looming deadline!

12. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    Amazing progress! Good luck getting a Cavallino!

sjd

13. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    moysiuan and JuLiTrO like this.
  14. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Just gorgeous. Wow.

15. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    The team reinstalled all the electrical harnesses that run inside the cockpit and dash. We had to replace one fuse box, cleaned up and reset the labels, repaired some connectors and short sections of wiring that needed attention. We then taped or shrunk wrap the wires and secured them in place to prepare for the eventual dash and interior install. While the dash was out we replaced the vent foam too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

JuLiTrO likes this.
  16. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wow, just wow!

I always feel my work isn't good enough, that label is not true of yours.

17. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    While this other work was going on the team spent a lot of time with the engine. Earlier in the post you can see the engine that came out. We removed all the external parts of the engine an painstakingly soda blasted them with a micro blaster to make sure we just took off the build up of "stuff" over many decades. We also removed the oil pan, cleaned up that area, and total disassembly and rebuild of the carburetors. We did not go into the block as we know the engine was running well, had excellent compression and no sounds. As with the rest of the build we replaced or correctly refinished every part, nut, bolt, spring etc on the engine, its components and in the engine bay. Please not the detail which we are proud.

We have lots of pictures detailing this process and the bench time with the parts but I assume more people are interested in the end result. If there is a part of the process you would like to see send me a PM. These pictures are after the engine is in the car. We have some just prior on an engine stand but these capture the final product.

This post and pictures are Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. built2grind

built2grind Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2016
    The Peninsula
    Full Name:
    ANDREW
    WOW ! It's the only thing that comes to mind. Beautiful work

Jakuzzi likes this.
  19. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Doors needed to be reassembled as we completely disassembled them to paint. All new rubber and trim of course. And we reinstalled the gauges and the new dash, got to love leather dashes! The steering wheel is just a place holder while the original one gets wrapped with new leather. Next we started laying the interior carpet. The original door sills had some age on them and did not match the quality of the rest of the car so we fabricated new sills to replace them. And we still had a lot to do!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. PETER@TEAM AI

Sponsor

Nov 4, 2014
    Charlotte
    Full Name:
    Peter