New Year project | FerrariChat

New Year project

Discussion in '206/246' started by swift53, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    TBigs, Jon Hansen, Neelfryer and 8 others like this.
  2. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    THAT is really cool.

3. afer

afer Karting

Jun 4, 2009
    Uruguay, S. America
    Full Name:
    Alvaro Ferraro
    Woow Alberto, it's fantastic. Real size?. You will paint it from inside like the radio control car's bodies?. Congratulations, Alvaro

4. mar3kl

mar3kl Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That's marvelous. What color are you going to paint it? How about violet met, mounted on the living room wall. Go big or go home...

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Incredibly cool. Looking forward to seeing the progress. When you hang it on the wall you may want to fit it with some working lights :)

6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    If these photos were posted in the "mid engine corvette quarter panels" thread, it would blow peoples minds! :D

7. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you all for the kind comments. I am extremely pleased :)

It is full size, 1:1, did not have enough ceiling space to photo the whole body.
    I am impressed about the beauty of the Dino design, once we cut it, it was symmetry in fibreglass!
    Just enough details of the gorgeous lines, from nose to tail.

Once we assemble the complete side, will use a drone to photograph properly.
    It will have headlights (not the proper Carello, but at a distance, no one will know), trim, and taillights,
    Euro side blinker, not certain about the body color yet, and a few other details
    such as how to hang it on the wall, that we will decide on down the road as progress continues.

All suggestions are welcome!

Regards, Alberto

8. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    Great project Alberto! Let us know how you convinced your wife to hang it on the wall in case you succeed.....:D

9. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    In case I succeed in what...hanging it or granted allowance? It is going up, I am 99% ;)

I am glad you like it.

Regards, Alberto

10. BoKu

BoKu Rookie

Dec 12, 2018
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Bob Kuykendall
    Just curious, where did the fiberglass moldings come from?

11. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    We made them, from a real Dino. They are 100% spot on, well, to this particular Dino :)

Regards, Alberto

BoKu likes this.
  12. BoKu

BoKu Rookie

Dec 12, 2018
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Bob Kuykendall
    Nice work! Did you mold the entire car body? And if so, what would it take to get an entire set of the moldings?

13. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you!
    No, just what I thought I would require for this project.
    Are you planning to go into the fibreglass Dino body making?

Regards, Alberto

BoKu likes this.
  14. BoKu

BoKu Rookie

Dec 12, 2018
    SF Bay Area, CA, USA
    Full Name:
    Bob Kuykendall
    Thinking about something similar. But for the Dino, nothing less than carbon fiber.

15. GermanDino

GermanDino F1 Rookie

Aug 14, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Matthias
  16. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thank you Matthias!

It has been really difficult, as 'unexpected' always comes along,
    you can see the backside with odd reinforcements where it was collapsing on itself.
    It is three layers of glass, and still...

Soon, we'll do a wall hanging to see and understand where we are going,
    perspective is really weird depending on the angle. It even looks good on the inside.
    Hard to tell on the photos, besides the obvious, which side is in or out.
    Brovarone was a design genius.

The 'hanging apparatus' has to designed and fully measured, preset, installed,
    and 100% perfect before paint, as after that, no turning back. It goes home :)

Regards, Alberto

Image Unavailable, Please Login

streetst and JL350 like this.
  17. Ken Ivey

Ken Ivey Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Full Name:
    Ken Ivey
    Very impressive - I'm a great fan of your work, both in fiberglass and on the cars themselves. You always provide great insight and this project is a home run :)

18. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    streetst, halr75 and Jon Hansen like this.
  19. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    streetst likes this.
  20. pshoejberg

pshoejberg Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2007
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Peter H
    That is so impressive Alberto. Looking forward to see it in its final location!

Best
    Peter

21. dgt

dgt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 14, 2011
    Northeast, USA & Oz
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My house hahahhahaha!!!

swift53 likes this.
  22. racerboy9

racerboy9 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    It would be cool to have a smaller version maybe 2-3 feet long to add to the man cave/ garage. You could then paint it which ever Dino color suits you.

23. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Freeman, I really like the Stuttgart display of the 908, very elegant, extremely brutal, no green strings with a fancy knot, or a chunk of wood...What do they know...
    It really makes a statement in the raw, and you are giving me ideas...

We also liked the idea of a 1:4 scale version, but but but, no way we can make something like that! Those are major words,
    Genie in the bottle, whereas we are only the 'copy paste' able version. Just as a real door or a real hood, you know :)

We are confused about what looks best, so we'll try and see how it looks :
    vent window upright, headlight, taillights, and side glass frame. Headlight clear fairing?

The door upper frame made a huge difference, so side glass frame is being built. Got a few of the tiny turn signal fender thingamajigs, but wondering about that too.

Regards, Alberto

24. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    The Porsche is cool. What holds it up are weight scales to show how light it is. I like where you “sliced” the body where you have it now, continuing through the windshield (plexi), rear window (plexi), side widows (plexi), headlamp covers etc. windows could be made out of a glossy light grey opaque plexi. I would make all the chrome trim out of fiberglass then chrome plated or metalized. Would be cool to have the headlamps/taillights glow.

25. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    #25 swift53, Jan 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    The slicing was the hardest part, really hit and miss, one wrong cut and it would reflect barely 11 feet forward, so just cut off most and left the bare essential details.
    There were a bunch of remakes.
    Freeman, the shopping list grows :)

Don't know if you have seen the "Sprue" model car, version of 1:1 scale complete DBR
    One can really go bonkers on detail...see below. Can't load it???? Possibly someone else will,
    as I cannot.

Link: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/aston-martin-dbr1-le-mans-winner-11-model-on-a-sprue-48153.html

The lights will definitely be there, with working bulbs, and turn signal indicator too. The plexi is easy, old rubber gasket, as only a section. Headlight covers too?
    only issue is the light grey color. Will have to find it here, if not Fedex. I assume this purposely makes what is behind disappear? Or possibly paint the wall a suitable light gray pastel?

All cars here, have this super blackout on all the windows, like giant sunglasses, so maybe in the wide array of polarizing film, could find a very light shade and put it on clear plexi.
    Another quest.

Cannot do chrome on glass here, but can paint it, we shaved the roof gutter, but can always put it on but breaks the curve of the roof, I can put bumpers (cutoffs)
    Yet methinks have to draw the line somewhere, I think, as do I just want the shape, or the car? I mean, one can go bananas on detail,
    maybe paint it then add on what is missing,
    In the raw is really difficult to visualize it, yet after seeing the 908 so in your face, it looks great.

Of course on theirs, you cannot see all the reinforcing sticks here and there, so mine, it needs painting.
    Maybe if we made the whole body, it can be left in the raw, as I...really have to go, and tend the cows, otherwise no more Dino craziness!

Really appreciate the comments Freeman, thank you!

Regards, Alberto