Portofino test drive..first impressions | FerrariChat

Portofino test drive..first impressions

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by carthusiast, Jan 1, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    #1 carthusiast, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    So I test drove the Portofino this week. I have a C4S cab and looking to get the Portofino and here are my first impressions for those considering it. Again these are just my opinions.

I am interested in only sticking with a 2+2 convertible since I have kids who love to ride in the convertible with us. The first week I got the C4S cab I would have probably put around 800 miles and loved cornering and flooring it with every chance I could get (safely of course). Plan to use the ferrari in a similar way as a daily drive.

My kids were with me for the test drive.

First impressions. We kept comparing it to the C4S. Although it is not a really a true comparison its human nature to compare to previous experiences. Of course many differences starting with the RWD and 4WD

From the kids perspective there seems to be more room in the back seats. My son was thrilled with the big toy playing with the controls and both my kids loved their very first experience of riding in a Ferrari. Walking in to the show room and looking at the other Ferraris was an experience in itself.

My perspective again in comparison, a very stiff car! Steering was precise but man it was stiff! The dealer only showed us a route in the local neighborhood roads so didnt get a chance to go on the hwy. The Portofino feels like a GT and not like a sports car. Maybe thats the purpose. Not sure if thats the experience that other have had. Loved the exhaust note though! However the dealer said that you cant open the actuators in the Portofino like you could on the Cali T as the valves are apparently controlled electronically.

Hoping to take another test drive soon and this time with my wife. I like the idea of owning a Ferrari and get an exclusive car as the Porsche seems to be dime a dozen these days.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Agreed on the steering. I found it to be much tighter, more precise than my 2011 Cali. More along the lines of what I love about the steering of my 911. I don't recall the drive being jarring, but like you I didn't do any highway driving, just around town. Do you know if the car was in Sport, Comfort, etc. mode?

T

3. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    I put it in both modes and tried it. The car had magnaride suspension. Also tried the bumpy road mode. The ride quality slightly differed but did not notice a significant change in the steering however.

4. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    The kids vote is to stick with the Porsche! I’m however longing for the exclusivity! The kids are probably right!!

5. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Which 911 are we talking about? I think the 991 steering is not to my taste at all, and was a major 911 setback, but all prior models are great

6. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The 991C4's steering has a better feel than the RWD, and the steering plus (or whatever they call it) option makes it even better. What I have found about these types of Ferrari's (Cali -Porto), is that if you drive them like you are driving a Prius, well they feel like a Prius with a nice interior. If you push them though they do have what it takes to give to a thrill. Though this might not sit well with everyone, remember where this is coming from, for the most part these types of Ferrari's can perform just was well as the mid engine cars at legal (and or safe ) road speeds. I am curious was the 911 your first Porsche (or sports car), I ask that because I have found for some people that first experience is what they use to benchmark all others, and every car they experience afterwards is always a comparison to that first one. I drove my first 911 over 48 years ago, had over 30 Porsche before I bought my first Ferrari (on #7 now), and as much as I now like Ferrari's the cars I know best and instantly are Porsche's (I have 2 911's and a 718 Cayman S now). You are new here OP (I am the Aspi who has no emotional feelings about cars), and you probably have not read any of my posts, but after close to 470 cars I can tell you if you are buying a Ferrari to feel as if you have some exclusivity, it is the wrong reason. I live with 5 miles of Algar Ferrari, and with 15 miles of my home there are AM, Lamborghini, McLaren, & Porsche dealers, so around me if you want exclusivity, you are better off buying a corvette. Yes there are many Porsche's out there, but none of those are mine, which is all that matters to me. I have noticed over the years on here peoples reason for the cars they choose, and though I cannot understand (nor do I ever judge) most of them, I have come to realize that if fills a need to have way more car than you can use or your skill as a driver can control. Sort of the mines bigger than yours thing from childhood. Well this was much longer a far reaching reply than I expected, I will leave it as is.

7. Wreck111

Wreck111 Rookie

Aug 23, 2018
    Hilton Head SC
    Full Name:
    Alan W
    Great write up. I to have owned 100's of cars.
    Loved my Porsches and my 17 California T.
    The only issue is in Hilton Head 95% of my driving is under 50 mph. T Image Unavailable, Please Login he Ferrarri sticks out ie police. If find to many people are taking pictures while driving of the car. No good. The Porsche blended in and could be driven around here faster.
    My favorite cars for this area are both my GTI and Chipped Beetle conv. Funny how we all enjoy different car's different ways.
    I see a 2020 992 in the future. Need to blend in more down here. Wish I had the Ferrari in the mountains so I can stretch it's legs.

Attached Files:

8. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
    Mine is a 992.1, 2017 model

9. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Nice white porsche you got there. :)

10. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I can understand that, I had the second GTI that came into the U.S. in 1983, I really liked that car, did not even have air conditioning. Truth is no one really needs a Ferrari, or a Porsche for that matter, they want them. Each person has their own reasons, I just like to buy stuff (cars,watches are my favorite things to buy), and am on the hunt for a NXS (and a gearshift Grand Sport) right now. I am well aware of why I do what I do and I am incapable of caring what anyone thinks, so that is a big help, and of course the fact that I can afford to makes it easier. My Calf T is in storage (along with 3 other summer cars) until April, and I will probably put an exhaust on it when it comes out (just have to figure out which one). I think if more people were honest with themselves about how they really drive their cars they would probably realize that they are not using them to even close to what they are capable off. I doubt that would stop too many people from buying them, but at least they might have a better idea of why. I have a rule whenever I buy another car or watch (I have I think 176) I always make a special donation to a charity (I give to 4 every month), my way of balancing things out.

Caeruleus11 and tomc like this.
  11. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Carnut , that's very noble of you and I like the sentiment, I run marathons for charities, and never thought about linking buying cars with charities - something for me to think about.
    Re, driving cars to their full capabilities, I rarely even come close to using a fraction of the performance, but I think the thing with Ferraris is that they are much more than that as there are many better performing cars for the money (Nissan GTR, Mclarens etc), but the Ferrari brand has a little something extra just from ownership!

09Scuderia likes this.
  12. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
  13. carthusiast

carthusiast Karting

Sep 22, 2018
  14. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    Thanks, I do what I do because it is only the kindness of others all those years ago that got me off the streets and kept me alive. My past and my path is quite different than most, and at times even I am surprised by how far I've come from where I once was.

RamsHmb and tomc like this.
  15. marathon guy

marathon guy Rookie

Nov 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    paul
    Carnut, sounds an impressive story. Well done on going so far.
    Good to hear when people have done good. I came from a poor family, and never forget my history.

Carnut likes this.
  16. LucasFerrari

LucasFerrari Rookie

Mar 21, 2019
    California
    Funny I was in a very similar situation. I traded in my 2014 911 4S convertible for a used 2019 Portofino that had 1000 miles on it. I loved my 911 but I always wanted a Ferrari and the Portofino really fit my needs. I wanted a GT convertible with rear seats and like you I have have two small kids. They enjoy taking rides with me and the top down. We live in California and have a lot of sunny days.
    I did not find the ride stiff in the Portofino at all . Its a great GT car. Its very smooth and comfortable. I feel like i could easily take it on a 350 mile drive without any back issues :)
    The Portofino comes alive in sport mode with auto off.
    Funny thing is I ended up buying a Porsche GT4 last week to sit along side the Portofino. Love the manual transmission and the rawness on this car. Its fun to drive on short trips with lots of curves ;)