EGT probes. Non original work ok? | FerrariChat

EGT probes. Non original work ok?

Discussion in '360/430' started by DDavid, Jan 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DDavid

DDavid Karting

May 3, 2018
    Full Name:
    DDD
    I’m gradually going through my car (2000 360 Spider manual) and have replaced coils, plugs, 02 sensors and am now wanting to replace the cat probes. I’ve found non original ones on eBay and from the photos I’m thinking they look good. Is there anything I should know before buying them? My hope is that a pyrometer is a pyrometer! Do they need to be a particular type- as in a certain amount of resistance etc.....? Here’s a link.... https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com.au%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F272786972197

2. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Why replace them? Thermocouples virtually never fail. The ECU for it does (commonly) but the thermocouple itself doesn't fail.

3. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Depends. I've seen quite a few have intermittent wiring issues. Normally happens when running aftermarket sports muffler/exhausts without appropriate heat protections. Even with the heat shielding they go 'brittle' with heat cycles and the next person who tries to unbolt them breaks the wiring and they are toast.

I've been looking at this problem and its entirely possible to work out the specs and then get a company like the one from the listing to offer a viable replacement. I wouldn't just dive in without understanding specs of the original ones though. On the Cat ECU's, they could easily be replaced too and when I get a bit more free time to experiment I will show a sub $20 solution which could be a drop in replacement... With the $60 themocouples, $20 cat ecu's you've got a very low cost alternative and then use Swiss Army Knife to delete secondary downstream o2 sensors which monitor cat efficiency... Now your down to just worrying about two o2 sensors and low cost replacement themo's. Could make maintenance of this area pretty inexpensive...

-T

4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Trev, I agree that they can be broken but most common thermocouples are good to 1200 C or more. My point was: unless he broke them or damaged the lead wires it isn't likely the thermocouple.

It should be pretty easy to figure out what type is used, there just aren't that many and Ferrari didn't concoct their own. From there, an op-amp circuit that replaces the "ECU" and is tunable is pretty straight forward. But good for you to bring them to market.