what are those spacers for | FerrariChat

what are those spacers for

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by turbo-joe, Jan 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    a while ago I got some boxes with gearbox parts. now I wonder for what those "spacers" are?

there are 5 equal and 1 like selfmade from a 8 mm washer.

does someone knows where those half washers/spacers belong to? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    In the garbage

3. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    :) thank you paul :)
    but I wonder: 5 looks original and one is cutted. looks as if those have been somewhere as a spacer what can not be reached directly, so as if something has to be adjusted with those?
    but until now never have seen those before

4. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They look like broken lock washers.

5. 302Tim

302Tim Formula 3

Jul 2, 2011
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Romano, I recently removed my front hood and it's hinge for detailing. I was surprised to find four flat washers that were being used as spacers, all cut with a die-grinder (or maybe a band-saw) so they could be slipped under the hinge without fully removing it. There were two stacked cut washers under each forward stud. The rear studs also had two washers each, the bottom one was the same thickness as each forward washer (but not cut) and one thinner washer (also not cut). The thinner rear washers had the wrong ID for the application but as a spacer I guess that was OK. I am certain this was done at the factory--all washers had the factory applied Dinol around them--as I carefully removed the Dinol I found gray primer that was consistent with the primer on the hinge and other areas in the front.

I don't believe this is where your washers were used (the hardware doesn't match), I only mention it to support that the factory (Pininfarina I think put the hood on before shipping the coachwork to Ferrari (but I may be wrong) used similar cut washers in other areas of the vehicle as removable shims. That said, I personally have not seen them used anywhere else on the car.

For future reference, the front two cut washers are ~1.95mm thick ea. (4.01mm combined), the rear bottom washer was the same and the thinner top washer is 1.15mm.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    thanky you tim
    but your washers are cut. from my 6 washers only 1 looks cut and the other original.
    I think that those have been as you write as distance spacers to adjust something

definitely no. the 2 ends ot the 5 are rounded, looks not like broken