New CA Dealer Plate law | FerrariChat

New CA Dealer Plate law

Discussion in 'California (Southern)' started by TG, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Inspired by seeing @robertgarven's post about Exhaust laws, I recently learned about one for dealer plates. As of Jan 1st, 2019, dealers no longer put their branded paper plates while the real plates are in the mail. Dealers now have to print a temporary license plate before "driving off the lot"

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2018/12/17/dmv-getting-rid-of-temporary-paper-dealer-license-plates-in-2019/

What this means is that there is maybe a 1-2 month window until cops start pulling over based on paper plates alone. It's been fun.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I'm happy they are doing it. The amount of times I've seen people driving like *******s without plates has been annoying. Can't report people for possibly being drunk or hit and runs.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

raysur and TTR like this.
  3. Axion23

Axion23 Karting

Sep 24, 2007
    California
    Full Name:
    G
    Welp, time to find my plates :(

Innovativethinker likes this.
  4. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    True.

5. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Paper plates used to Work great on the toll roads...

6. B R

B R F1 Rookie

Aug 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    B R
    Guess the guys who were making the dealer plates are out of business now.

I'm going to start collecting the dealer plates. They will become rare & super valuable in a few years. Then I can sell my collection and retire.

7. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    Don't know if the laws are the same for all toll roads however in Orange & Riverside Counties, you are not allowed to go on the toll roads without a license plate. That said I've done this numerous times but always avoided cops as I've seen plenty of people get pulled over who only had paper plates.

8. Prancinghorse619

BANNED

May 10, 2017
    Has anyone bought a car this year to confirm dealers are actually doing this? I imagine that they will still put their dealer plate frames on their as advertising.

9. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I have seen a few cars with them. You can always switch over to license plate frames.

10. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    my friend just got a new mercedes and the vin, license plate number and a whole bunch of info are on there. Really pretty sad. Although I have no idea how we went this long without plates. I too have exercised this

11. dailyferraridriver

dailyferraridriver Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 12, 2010
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Erik
    This is how it's done in NJ. I was shocked to learn it was done like that in CA all this time. Amazing .

12. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Other states will put your home address on the plate, so be happy CA didn't do that.

13. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    What about a private party transaction where the seller keeps personalized plates or a private party transaction fro out of state where the are also likely to send without plates? Ideas ?

14. LOTUS1

LOTUS1 Karting

Jul 28, 2005
    Rancho Mirage
    It will always fall under the new owner to go to DMV and take care of plates when talking private party

15. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I set off another camera light in Beverly Hills. Really made me feel good about myself. I intend on doing this as long as I can. It's such BS and completely unfair. Of course you can debate this a number of ways

16. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I need to move

Sent from my 16M

17. koisokok

koisokok F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 8, 2006
    nine 0 two one 0
    About 16 years ago I moved to CT with my ex ..The Italian uncles had the biggest laugh as I drove my "New Car from California" with paper plates around town for almost a year..Then the break up and the car ended back in LA along with me ..Still talk to the uncles , the ex, hell no..

18. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Always thought this was a strange practice. Most states give out temporary plates. New York issues dealers a stack of new plates and they give them out at delivery. Not sure why more states don’t do it that way

19. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Californian's love to complain and while, quite often it is justified, the whole driving without a license plate is a totally incredible oversight that is equally amazing that it went on as long as it did. How on earth can you argue that driving around a car with no way to properly identify it is somehow a bright idea? Rejoice you got a free ride for as long as you did rather than lament that adding paper plates is somehow unfair.

20. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    side effect of this law is cops will now also enforce no front license plate. in the past, cop don't know if you just bought the car or not (when you don't have front plate). Now they now for certain that your car (every Ferrari) is now illegal without a front plate.

Nuvolari likes this.
  21. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Wait, I love those people driving around in a 2003 Lexus with chipped paint on dealer plates like they are ballers.
    Thoughts on the 2year registration deal to go through soon.

22. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    California did do it and stopped. Used to get a paper numbered plate when you bought it but they stopped back in the mid 60's as I recall.

In Texas we can get a temporary on the internet. I think 1-3 days is done on line. If you want a 30 day now you have to go to the tax office.