F430 Exhaust Questions | FerrariChat

F430 Exhaust Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by LHBMC, Jan 3, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LHBMC

LHBMC Karting

Nov 16, 2011
    Hello All,

My car is a 2006 F430 Coupe (purchased in July 2018) with the current odometer reading at 9,000 miles – I have a two part question.

I have researched the F430 cracked header issue to quite some length.

My service records show that the original headers were replaced by Ferrari (under warranty) in April 2014 (mileage 6,300) with what I am assuming are the improved MKII versions.

I had the headers smoke tested this past August (2018) and there appear to be no issues.

So here is the first part of my question - I like the stock system and associated sound and have no desire to change anything – Question #1- Who of you run the stock (replacement) MKII headers, and do you have concerns?

The second part of my question pertains to the silencer / muffler – it is blowing white insulation dust, as they all eventually do.

As stated, my desire is to keep the system stock.

I see no point in replacing the unit with a new (Ferrari) one as I understand the issue will re-occur.

A suggested remedy is to ‘seal weld’ the pressed flanges where the leak (white dust) is originating from – Question #2 - Who of you have tried this repair and with what results, or perhaps there is another option?

I appreciate any feed back.

Thank you.

Regards,

Les

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  2. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hi Les. My car has had MKII headers for the last 20,000 miles and no issues. I track the car so can’t have it any louder. I’m not particularly concerned as it’s unlikely to be a sudden failure. That said, I do listen for any ticking at cold startup and they are checked yearly during the annual. Ian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. strongx

strongx Karting

Mar 20, 2009
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Rock Thompson
    My original headers were replaced under warranty about 4 years ago. But now, at a recent service, my MKII's were found to be cracked. I declined to replace them with OEM. I'll probably try Fabspeed.

4. Red 27

Red 27 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 2, 2008
    San Diego, Ca
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congratulations on the purchase of your 430!!
    My MK1s replaced at 12k. MK2s still going strong at 36K. I blow the dust out of the engine bay before or after a drive. I did replace the stock brackets at 18K with Capristo. Not worried about either, if the MK2s start to leak I will consider a new header system. I like the stock exhaust sound and the ability to drive without a screaming exhaust. I have read of a few guys welding the seam but not sure if that is a good idea since it will stiffen up the system even more which could cause the header cracking? Jury is still out as not enough data on that.
    Good luck with your car!!!
    Dave

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Advice back in 2014 when I was looking seriously at F430s from my local dealer was, make sure the car has MKII headers, have Capristo brackets installed and relax. Other than that, they did recommend to have the headers smoke checked every couple years or so. But they said (at that time) they had few issues with customers that followed that advice.

whatheheck and Federal man like this.
  6. KatMan

KatMan Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Stan K
    The mk11 headers were installed on my 2008 430 coupe (under warranty) 13000 miles ago. Also installed the Capristo brackets. No problems since. You may want to consider the bracket change.

7. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen
    MK2 headers are not very better than MK1. The solution are the Capristo brackets or to remove the stiff lower bracket on the muffler.

8. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    Mk2 headers on mine at 7k miles. 19k now. Capristo brackets installed ag 17k as right rear support bracket cracked. Since capristo insralled, i have annoying rattling noise from 2900 to 3000 rpm in all gears. Hoping this is capristo bracket issue vs cracked headers or worst: transmission? Headers get chked n exhaust smoke tested every May and were clean last year. As for white smoke? Yep had so much of that, mine dont have any left to blow out. I dint mind wiping down b4 each drive. Last couple drives, i didnt get any! I conclude the can is depleted of the white stuff! No welding reqd yet...

9. Zed82

Zed82 Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2017
    Sweden
    MKII manifolds were installed on my 2006 F430 and they cracked on one side pretty badly. I explored the possibility to install the Capristo brackets but my tech said that it won´t do any difference. I also read a lot on the forums about the Capristo brackets and the answer was pretty much the same. They don´t solve the stress on the headers.

I went with aftermarket headers and Tubi dual exhaust. Solved the exhaust issue for good.

10. Fabspeed Motorsport

Sponsor

Feb 5, 2009
    Fort Washington, PA
    Full Name:
    John S
    This is the most common issue we deal with here at Fabspeed. Ferrari headers have always been an issue on almost every model. Feel free to reach out if you want a good deal or just have any questions!

11. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have had MKIIs on mine for 10 years. They were checked recently and still OK. My highly regarded tech has a theory that stop and go or short drives will make them go out quicker. My drives tend to be less frequent but long. Ditto 355s he said. Nevertheless, I expect to go aftermarket. Perhaps this year.