Leg Room in a 458 Italia, Carbon Fiber vs. Daytona | FerrariChat

Leg Room in a 458 Italia, Carbon Fiber vs. Daytona

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mtxv14, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mtxv14

mtxv14 Karting

Jun 30, 2017
    STL
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I've convinced the wife on an Italia, but now we're spec'ing out our ideal car and the issue we're at is seats.
    She's picky about legroom, and the electric seats simply don't work for us. We're both tall, with me at 6'2 and her at 5'11.
    She wants the seats to allow her to "straighten or almost straighten" her legs in the footwell. We know we fit in the F12 with carbon fiber seats, but I honestly prefer a true sports car.

Can anyone tell me how the seats compare in terms of leg room? There's a much smaller market for carbon fiber racing seats than Daytona, so if I can get away with Daytona that would really open the market up for me.

Cars we've fitted:
    488 GTB- Electric = no fit
    F12-Electric- no fit
    F12-Carbon Fiber- fit

Thanks All! I'm really looking to move in the next month or so, so as an aside, if you know of any for sale outside of the regular channels (cars.com, cargurus, autotrader) please let me know!

2. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    NM

(I tried, honestly, I tried. Drafted a few and deleted/edited them. Ended up with "no message" - I simply could not come up with a post that met the old "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say it" motto. Sorry I can't help.)

iloveferrari likes this.
  3. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    The only way to tell is to find a 458 with carbon seats and try it. I have carbon seats in my Spider and I have plenty of room (but I'm also shorter then you and your wife). I have also driven my friends F12 (with carbon seats) and my limited perception is that the leg room is close to being the same with the seats all the way back. If you find the F12 fits better and your wife's criteria has to be met, then you don't have much of a choice. Just my .02.

4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Lol. I must know what you meant! Let me do it for you.

To the op, your wife is better suit walking and you drive whatever you want. In this case, she will always have her legs straighten out.
    This is a sports car, for crying out loud, what do you even mean your wife demand legs straightening out while sitting? Like sitting on a recliner massage chair?

In all honesty, I am 6'3". 458 with Daytona electric seat fits my legs just fine.

5. Avia11

Avia11 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    The CF seats work for my girlfriend and I in the 458 coupe and spider. I'm 6'2 and my girlfriend is 5'10.

6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I donno maybe a shorter wife ?

Labman, italiafan, Ash Patel and 4 others like this.
  7. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'm 6'4" and 215 and I fit great in Daytonas.

8. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

At 6’ and my wife at 5’8”, the 458 with full electric were OK. The 488 with race seats provides more legroom, such that I have to keep the seat 3 or so notches forward of full back. Try it on for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

9. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Just get the racing seats! Saves weight and super comfortable. It'll be a little harder to find, but those seats are probably half of the Speciale's weight savings.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Solution.

Put your hands on a Speciale.

11. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I’m 6’2” and have had full electric Daytona’s in both 458 and 488- no problem. Just don’t expect to stretch your legs out fully and recline the seat at the same time
    For that get an S Class

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. rw99

rw99 Karting

Jan 1, 2019
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I just went through this “test-fitting” stage myself, and at 6’5 275 I wish I had your problem!

My inseam is 36”. I evaluated a Spider with large race seats and a coupe with the electrics. For me, the race seat mounting position and lesser seat thickness both contributed to more head and leg room... I could actually close the roof on the Spider, and it has somewhat less headroom than the coupe.

On the coupe, I thought there was a TON of leg room, as long as you're not reclining the seatback (while moving the seat forward) to add head room. I was a little under-impressed with the tilt/telescope range of the steering wheel, but someone of your height should have no difficulty achieving a good driving position.

Rich

13. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I have Carbon fiber race seats in my Italia. The race seats actually per factory come in different sizes. The seats can be adjusted as to height by your Ferrari Dealership. Don't know the actual leg length adjustments attainable, but had mine adjusted for my torso!

14. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Wait for the SUV?

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    First leg room thread I've ever seen in a Ferrari forum...

I think this is a prank that you all fell for.

iloveferrari likes this.
  16. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Just the car you want with whatever seats. Buy race seats and install for either your wife, you, both. Drive car. Switch seats back. Sell car. Sell seats.
    Simple.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    After reading all the comments that to me didn't come close to answering your question, sorry.
    I will try and help.
    First, I have had an Italia with Daytonas and HAVE a spider with the race seats. Additionally, I had a Ferrari Chat member contact me some time ago about sitting in my car. He is 6'5" and didn't know if he could fit in the car.
    First, I can assure you race seat is lower. Despite my short stature I hated the regular seat as being too high for even me. He tried the Daytona equipped car and it was a no go. As the race seat is mounted lower to start (adjustable but not on the fly) and has less head rest mass (for racing helmet purportedly) vs standard seat, you have more leg and head room. Net, he fit but only barely. Again, he is 6'5".
    Unfortunately, your specific dimensions of where your height is manifested (xs torso vs xs leg vs symmetric proportion) can certainly affect how you sit in/on a seat. Sitting in a race seat car is for sure your only true way of knowing.
    In regards to your wife, the passenger race seat is literally on the floor. AND non adjustable for height. Just rake and fore/aft. She will have NO trouble fitting. The downside is, on extended trips - if you do any- thigh support is minimal due to leg out position.
    Best