More Old Photos | Page 430 | FerrariChat

More Old Photos

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bertocchi, Jan 14, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #10726 Bryanp, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    500 Mondial 0424MD is actually 0564MD in order of manufacture - re-stamped to 0424MD for carnet reasons. I don't know about the car on the right, but the car to the left of 0564(0424)MD is our former 0556(0446)MD, behind the portly gentleman (Paul Maret - co-driver of 0556(0446)MD for this race - the 12 Hours of Hyeres, May 29, 1955). Pic of same pit - Paul Maret and Gino Munaron.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Bertocchi, mcimino and Christian.Fr like this.
  2. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I have a slight history on this 500 Mondial , one of the interesting part, was the refreshment of the paint. I remained perplexed in this photo with the nose of the 166 MM.

Thank you for this photograph -which I did not know as well as for the information.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It is 0052 M.

Marcel Massini

Christian.Fr likes this.
  4. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Great! the plates wasn t clear for me, but this nose...

Thanks for this confirmation

5. PAT30

PAT30 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 15, 2007
    France
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Can you identify this symbol on the 250P #22 driven by Parkes and Maglioli at Le Mans in 1963 ? Thank you.

Attached Files:

jamesdouglas1436 likes this.
  6. franmort

franmort Rookie

Feb 21, 2015
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Full Name:
    frank mortier
    It is most probably a picture taken at the 12 Hours of Hyères with the #8 Ferrari 500 Mondial 0424 MD (0564 MD) at the left, in the middle the #6 Ferrari 750 Monza 0486 M and at the right the #12 Ferrari 166 MM 0052 M (relying on the barchetta and racingsportscars website).

Christian.Fr likes this.
  7. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Yep, I m agree with that, some replies was already posted. But thank you for reply :)

8. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Just look at the photos in the Maurice Louche book "Emotion Ferrari".

Marcel Massini

Christian.Fr and franmort like this.
  9. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I have some history on this 500MD too, specially on the paint job and certification process..

Bryanp and Christian.Fr like this.
  10. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    I was very surprise with the paint job, it was made in Italy, the process of restoration was - in opinion - very different, in reality, I never see that before. I don t know the technic name?
    others car with same process etc...

Well, I don t know so much with this mondial, the other point, is the modification about is serial number.

11. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    We were a little surprised to see your preservation effort recently covered up.

12. intrepidcva11

intrepidcva11 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 12, 2009
    Saratoga Springs NY
    Full Name:
    Seth
    Christian, I am certain that the Mondial is Admiral Robert Phillips'Ferrari 0556(0446)/MD, that as a young Navy Ltjg he bought in 1958 for $2,500. Restored it himself, then when reassigned drove it singlehanded fromCalifornia to the East Coast. He delighted in driving it on track at many events and gathered a living room full of Concours d'Elegance Awards. And sold it last summer at David Gooding's Pebble Beach auction.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  13. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Well when you go to a paint shop and ask what they can do,, they paint. Originally Luigino wanted to go to bare metal and restore and repaint. I said NO knowing it would be much more costly and difficult. But I knew it was possible to take the top layer off because Neil Twyman who restored a pre war Alfa for me,did the same on the King of Netherlands Alfa Romeo 8C 2900( at least he said, I have never seen the car, it is grey but was repainted over this grey at some point and he said they took the top layer off).
    The only way to take a top layer off is to do it all by hand with sand paper and stop erasing when you see the color below.
    The poor guy doing the job spend 3 month and had no more nails...you can compare with typical bare metal respray!
    The only problem was that of course the original paint was not perfect , in particular the car had some deep scars ( see the Maurice louche picture of the car during Liege Rome Liege ).
    After the race when the car was repaired they did not bother to put the blue color because they weee already painting it in blue ; there was only grey primer under the red so you had original blue and in some places just grey.
    What I did was to ask the workshop to put some blue in the missing places but to leave a margin between the 2 colors to show clearly where the old paint and new paint were.
    Similar to what is done when a Renaissance fresco is restored. It is not perfect but authentic. Some people prefer to reinterpret this so I was told ( I have not seen the car with the new owner but I met him, very nice by the way) the paint shop covered all the missing paint with a matching color. So now it is almost impossible to differentiate where the original and the new paint are. And in fact - and again I have not seen the car- it almost look as everything has been repainted to ensure the color looks homogeneous.
    Again referring to art, if you look at “Salvator Mundi” the most expensive painting in this world but nevertheless controversial , this is a similar process that happened during its restoration with new paint being added where something was missing.
    In other words what happened to this car’s paint is not unheard of, but was not my approach,,,because you are original only once,,

14. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Here the link for # 0446MD
    https://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/1955-ferrari-500-mondial-series-ii/

15. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Document by Classiche for 0424MD
    Posted by Marcel Massini somewhere in Fchat...Just come back from a concert of Ara Malikian so be cool if confusion.

16. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Romeo 8C 2900... Can you provide a sn for this car? I m interested to see the effect on this car.

Renaissance fresco... :)

Normaly if I remember well, the finish was a clear coat of vernish?

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #10742 TTR, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    I've contemplated/studied similar "preservation" efforts on several 50+ year old vintage (non-Ferrari, i.e. larger and more complex) production road cars and have performed* them on couple, so I'd say it can be very tedious and time consuming work that could easily equate or perhaps even exceed efforts afforded to some of best full re-paint jobs.

* I did one about 10 years ago and although the job (late-'50s car, still even wearing OEM, factory installed convertible top !!!) included more than just paint preservation, I (affectionately) nick-named it as "$85K+ Cleaning & Detailing".
    Another funny/interesting(?) thing with that job was that while identical (quite rare, less than 200 made with probably less than 50 existing world wide today) completely & professionally (frame-off) restored examples were selling or valued around +/-$250K range at the time, the client/owner, after describing to a fellow collector what and how I/we were approaching the preservation of this remarkably good condition (3-owner) "survivor" (and I wasn't even done with the job yet), promptly (& sight unseen) received a $300K offer, which he declined and still has the car with no intentions of selling it.

P.S. Just yesterday I took delivery of another interesting (non-Ferrari) restoration.
    Remarkably good condition, completely stock, running, driving, etc. 50 year old ('69) "sporty" 4 passenger car still in original (female) ownership.

18. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    #412016 ex Prince Bernhard and Queen Juliana, an 8C 2900 corto spider.
    And yes there was just clear coat on top of the original paint to protect it after the red paint was removed.

Christian.Fr and TTR like this.
  19. Christian.Fr

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Merci pour la confirmation.

20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Not a clue but these are great photos. Thanks for posting.

21. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    I don't remember Revvie driving a Tyrrell. I notice the St. Andrew's Cross, was it Stewart's car?

22. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    With Stewart and Cevert, he was a third driver at WG 1971.

jamesdouglas1436, 375+ and tifoso2728 like this.
  23. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Thank you, great stuff!