24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed | Page 2 | FerrariChat

24hrs with 458 Spider, disappointed

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Adamtensta, Jan 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Yeah this thread went from a mature discussion to just silly comments. Ofc the 170 HP gives a huge diff in power. But we all know HP isn't everything. Going from 0-100 in 3.4s or 3.9s shouldn't be a decision factor when buying a car. My panamera turbo feels faster than my 991 4s, but you enjoy different things for different reasons. Grow up boy

2. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Yes. Basically what he said about the sound comparison between Ferrari v8 and v12 engine noise and porsche engine. I had 991.1 and .2 gt3 and gt4. The sounds are good in its own right, but they are worlds different from the ferrari v8 and v12. The v12 is also way much more "fill in the blank" than the v8.

Maybe your 458 spider rental has problems. Go test drive one in recent years in a F dealer and see how it goes.

3. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Will actually do that.

To be clear, I didn't say it sounds better than the flat 6 engine. What I did say was that it doesn't use the potential of the sound in different scenarios like when you lift your foot off the gas, or when you shift down, the same way 991 NA or R8 does, and that was a disappointment..

MacDemarco likes this.
  4. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Oh, then maybe a huracan sound profile may be better for you then, if you focus on what happens when you lift off the gas. But be warned, they are artificially designed and predicted in huracan.

And when did you shift down? How high did the rpm goes?

MacDemarco likes this.
  5. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    For real? If they place the detector in the tunnels, they will be rich.

6. iloveferrari

iloveferrari Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    Aha, California T with HS package, you should try. The shifting in my experiences is faster than the 458. But be warned, it's a turbo.

Or if you really want 4 seats, try FF. You will be surprised when you pass 4k rpm.

7. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    I tried my friend's huracane, even on track and it sounds gorgeous but I didn't really feel it had it own character like porsche or Ferrari. Also, the shift gears felt super cheap, plastic?

When I shifted down it went up to 4-6k rpm.

MacDemarco likes this.
  8. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    A follow up question, what are the critical specs I should look for on the 458 to not miss out the important stuff. For example, I don't care about Navi. But are there certain packs that gives it a better driving experience?

9. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Owned 10 Porsches, all NA 911 models and 2 x R8 V10 and nothing comes close to the sound nor the driving experience of a 458. It really is at least 2 x better (or even more) in those aspects, I am surprised about your impression. This is the only car so far after owning around 30 different sport cars that gives me (pardon my expression) a hard on from time to time :)

I guess the rental you had for 24 hours must have been in limp mode half of the time.

As mentioned earlier the only Porsches that is in parity with Ferrari soundtrack is CGT, the other ones, as someone also mentioned earlier, sounds a little bit pathetic honestly (compared to the Ferraris at least), the GT3:s you need to push to 9K for it to sound good whereas the 458 you don't need to push it that hard really, it sounds good all the time and even better if you disconnect the valves. The early models don't have the later engine tune that disables the pops and burbles when lifting of the gas.

The transmission is better not driven in auto as it's not a cruiser like the 911:s (GT models excluded) and will be jerky in auto. I always put mine in manual as it does not even downshift properly if you need to overtake on the highway in auto mode (it only goes down one gear when it should go down at least 2 gears, same with both 458:s I've owned)

10. Adamtensta

Adamtensta Karting

Jan 9, 2019
    Scandinavia
    Full Name:
    Adam Tensta
    Thanks for your answer. I think what you describe in auto mode is exactly how I felt. Good to know then.

Im not sure which year model it was, but would you suggest buying a 458 pre 2012 given it's not updated?

11. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Neverrrrr drive 458 in automatic mode....ever

Sent from my 16M

Gh21631, SoCal to az, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Why would one ever use a Ferrari in automatic mode?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ash Patel likes this.
  13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Whilst i understand your post I am not sure this is the best way to start on this forum: u are after all only 35, calling people boy& you join a ferrai forum to trash a car that is known and revered to be one of the best sounding car there is. I do understand and respect that you like the Porsche but I respectully disagree as I find them too perfect and lacking soul although they are incredible machines one should feel privileged to own.

iloveferrari and tekaefixe like this.
  14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you dont get a 458 its not the car.

15. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    I assumed you had a recent 991 and they all are turbo.
    That said the sound of a 458 is one of the best sound ever. It is impossible to compare it to the one of a 991. Two different worlds. 991 is a GREAT car but 458 is another planet.
    If you drive a car in automatic mode a Ferrari is not your car. However, in town, the auto mode of a Ferrari 458 is perfect. As soon as you are somewhere else it is crazy to use auto mode ;)

Ash Patel likes this.
  16. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I have had a dozen Porsches scanning the complete range. None look as good as the 458 , sound as good or provide the driving feedback and as compelling or thrilling a ride. That is my opinion and obviously for most on this forum. However, the only thing that matters, is the poster's opinion. He will be the one owning and driving the car.

17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Op is kind of a senseless post. Is he looking for people to convince him hes wrong?!

iloveferrari and Ash Patel like this.
  18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If after driving the 458 for 24 hours and he needs to be convinced by others, he should definitely stick with what he's got.

Thecadster, iloveferrari and dustman like this.
  19. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    To my ear there is no comparison, the 458 has the 911 beat in every respect regarding sound and more so in driving experience.

20. chrixxx

chrixxx Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2004
    Lucerne
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Did you drive it in Race and CT Off mode ?

21. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I've daily driven 911s for decades -- I currently own a normally aspirated 991 cab -- and honestly, compared to the Ferraris I've owned (F430 and California 30) the 991 sounds like a vacuum cleaner. (Albeit a really nice vacuum cleaner.) I previously had a 991 with the Porsche Sports Exhaust on it ... and with it engaged that sounded like vacuum cleaner with Jiffy Pop on the down shifts. Don't get me wrong, I love 911s, and I've owned plenty of aircooled examples (including a Turbo), and the aircooled motor is much more of a distinctive mechanical soundtrack. But the newer 991.2 cars have sort of built in the whole Jiffy-Pop overrun farts and crackles, and that car completely left me flat compared to the normally aspirated car despite it being faster. So it's very surprising to me that anyone would think a modern 911 sounds better than any Ferrari.

wthensler likes this.
  22. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    #47 saraojo, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    Wow. I know everyone has their own opinions but this one is definitely in the minority. Not sure if there was something wrong with the particular car you drove. The 991 and 458 are completely different as far as visceral excitement and experience.

wthensler likes this.
  23. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    This is funny you said that. I own a 997 and test drove a 991S. I felt that the exhaust note when you left of the gas or down shift was artificially designed. It sounded the same no matter what you did. I ultimately passed on the 991S because it felt detached and more of a GT car.

iloveferrari and wthensler like this.
  24. cavsct94

cavsct94 Karting

Aug 26, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I've owned several 911s including with sports exhaust and there is no comparison between the sound and experience of my 458 Spider and those cars. The 458 kills them in almost every way. If it didn't, I could've saved a ton of cash. Also, never had anything but crisp shifts from the DCT in the 458.

25. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    If you think your 911 is better than a 458 there is nothing more to say. Enjoy your 911.

Ash Patel and iloveferrari like this.