488 Underbody Pics...thoughts? | FerrariChat

488 Underbody Pics...thoughts?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by garnetvalley, Jan 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garnetvalley

garnetvalley Rookie

May 8, 2009
    Philadelphia/Naples
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Good morning all...
    Long time member but infrequent poster.
    Considering a used 488 Spider purchase.
    Received the following pictures from a dealer of the underbody of a 2017 488 Spider with 3500 miles that they have for sale.
    Thoughts on what may have caused this?
    Speed bump? Road debris? Track? Accident?
    Waiting to discuss with the dealer but would appreciate any opinions to assist in my conversation.
    Thanks in advance for all your help...

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. benny11_85308

benny11_85308 Karting

Dec 12, 2016
    Could be lots of things but I would not buy that car, plenty of others that are cleaner you can find. Good luck in your search

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and Gh21631 like this.
  3. F12JAJ

F12JAJ Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    California
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Looks like the car races at the Dakar Rally, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11, pdxjim488 and Napoli like this.
  4. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    The dealer should be embarrassed to list that car as is. They should clean it up and present it in a more acceptable state.

F12JAJ, Caeruleus11, Shack and 3 others like this.
  5. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #5 boobernackle, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    I'm guessing the car doesn't have a front suspension lifter...

This is a Ferrari dealer trying to sell it?

Those are all cosmetic issues, have the dealer clean it up. Plastic underbody panels are the cheapest parts to replace, but front bumper will have to be repainted, but no major issue. They could've easily taken care of these and nobody would've every known.

6. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

7. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    It just makes you wonder how this car may have been treated. As an owner I would have corrected it as it would have bugged the heck out of me. The previous owner seems to have repeatedly scraped it with no concern.

F12JAJ likes this.
  8. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We could pick each photo apart and make a guess what caused it or just know that is what the underbody looks like on a car that is driven.

Nothing in these photos represents anything alarming IMO , rather someone who has driven their Ferrari in an environment with tall speed bumps, sharp inclines, and/or lack of environmental awareness ( backing into parking spaces and rubbing the curbing with the upright diffuser fins )

All of the photos represent easily cleaned up / refinishable repairs

Sure, you want as nice a Ferrari as possible , but don't fool yourself, short of a garage queen, you will make the underside look like that as well...

Ask the selling dealer what it would cost to refinish them, chose if its worth it to you , ask for a discount, or run with it as-is

Just an opinion, from seeing the underside of dozens of Ferrari a week.

S

Lukeylikey likes this.
  9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    Funny you mention this, we have clients come in all the time who do not realize that damage has happened, that is until we provide photos for them.
    Especially the lower front spoiler area... needless to say, we have a lot of skid plate estimate requests.

MOST , Ferrari owners want it addressed like you mentioned!

S

10. klinkman

klinkman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 29, 2018
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #10 klinkman, Jan 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Sorta reminds me of the entitled abusing their quarter million dollar cars on Willshire Blvd/Beverly Hills at 2 or 3am every Fri/Sat night. . . exactly what I'd expect the underbody to look like for a ~year old car.

Photos 5/6 would give me pause. Puncture isn't cosmetic, imo, that's abuse. Scraping damage due to suspension compression at high speed. Rail Road tracks? Driveway Approach? Trying to "get some air"? Hard to know, but it's clear it's repeated behavior.

I agree with some of the other posters you should keep looking.

11. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Were there tires on the car when it was driven??

HalWoods, Viperjoe and boobernackle like this.
  12. stretchgeneral

stretchgeneral Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 9, 2014
    MA/TX
    Full Name:
    McK
    I had a friend in Denver who had similar, but not nearly as severe damage on the underside of his California. When he went to trade it in at Ferrari of Denver, they refused to take the car on trade.

13. SLDriver

SLDriver Formula Junior

May 1, 2005
    Safe to say the car was driven hard, personally I would pass and look for another car.

14. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I guess the owner liked driving moguls. I doubt a front lift would have prevented most of the damage which seems to run head to tail. Easy enough for the dealer to fix most of it at minimal cost which the dealer will recoup and then some at sale time

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

15. Scudmsl

Scudmsl Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2014
    USA
    There have to be better options out there. I would stay away from that one.

16. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Agree - pass. Too many other near new cars, including the underbody, to even consider one with this much rash.

17. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    These cars are very low to the ground and at high speeds will scrape the road easily on back roads with imperfect surfaces. At 80+ mph a dip in the road will compress the suspension enough to scrape the hole in the undertray you are seeing. It doesn’t mean the car was abused, rather, driven as intended on back roads. I’ve experienced this personally and was surprised at how little it takes to cause this. It’s just plastic.
    At 80+ mph, contact with the road rubs a hole pretty quickly.
    Get the dealer to replace/ repair the item and if the car checks out otherwise, it may be the one for you. Or, buy a car that sat in the garage.

wrs likes this.
  18. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

If you can live with the imperfections my crystal ball sees a nice big discount off the price. Best , Kirk.