What Design Element Would You Change On The 355 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

What Design Element Would You Change On The 355

Discussion in '348/355' started by Rossocorsa1, Jan 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
  2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  3. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    It would seem the 348 had the same steering wheel as the 512M.

4. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I’m not sure on that. When I was searching I recalled that the 512 wheels were the same size as the oem 355 airbag wheel. The 348 wheel I have is 360 mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    You're probably right. I'm just going off photos.

6. schnazzy

schnazzy Formula Junior

Mar 31, 2008
    Seattle
    I would move the front tires forward a few inches. Probably 2-3" and modify the nose a bit so the wheel arch then still looks good. the front overhang is a bit much and it would help with the pedal location.

7. Garvin

Garvin Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    Cambridgeshire
    Just one change for me - reach adjustable steering wheel. This would enable the perfect driving position to be attained (i’m on the tall side and can’t get the wheel close enough with the seat fully back).

8. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I hate orange font. :(

9. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Just curious if you put the original one back on for the State inspection? In VA they won't pass the car on a safety inspection without the airbag in place which required me to swap the steering wheel once a year. I finally gave up and bought a 360 wheel and airbag to solve the problem.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Or he knows somebody;)

11. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

I did a study of that for a reason not really important now but only about 4 or 5 states even care about airbags as part of a state inspection. Fewer and fewer states are even doing inspections anyway. California hasn't ever done them as an annual thing and Texas keeps trying to get rid of them, the 2 biggest states in the country. Studies have shown they achieve no greater highway safety and are just a feel good burden to taxpayers.

12. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    When I was in high school (1970s) a long time ago I used to do State Inspections for Virginia. I would guess that back then I would fail 2 out of 10 cars for tires or no brakes. On some you would see the brake cylinder leaking or the axle seal leaking....others would be down to the rotors. Today's version is actually a lot tougher and requires all original safety equipment to be functional. I think they could get by every two years but it generates revenue for the shops that reserve a bay for inspections.

13. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    No such inspection required in my state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I am not surprised but studies have shown over and over that there is no connection between a states road safety stats and the existence of annual inspections. I know in Texas it is the automotive service industry lobbying that keeps the law in place. In most states the regulated fee is so low it is impossible to pay for a real inspection of any kind. It is just a marketing tool to drive cars to service departments.

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    From a purely aesthetic sense, I'd have changed the gauge pod/cluster. It's always looked rather bargain-bin to me, in the way that GM was.

16. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Back on topic (somewhat), I know some US owners prefer the white Euro front turn signal lamps over the US amber color (some choose to switch them out). I actually prefer the US amber color.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Those same owners would want amber if US cars came with white.

308 GTB, taz355, Dave rocks and 2 others like this.
  18. Rossocorsa1

Rossocorsa1 F1 Veteran

May 14, 2017
    Hilarious. Very true.

bjwhite and Dave rocks like this.
  19. INRange

INRange F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    How about a white lens with an orange bulb?o_O

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Earlier I posted I would change the spider seats, mainly the seat back. But if I was serious about this I'd change the entire interior. The interior should make the driver and passenger feel like part of the car. That doesn't happen in the 355 for me. Probably less so that any other car I've driven. I recall my first drive of a 355. When I returned home my wife asked how I liked it. "Like the car, but I felt like I was riding on the car, not in it." is what I told her. So, yea, redo the interior.

21. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree. I don't get the attraction but after all, Baskin Robins has 31 flavors for a reason ;)

22. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    That's the way it is if you run white lens. The bulb should be amber.

23. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I've always thought the wheels were placed way to far inboard like a winnebago. IMO this makes it look dated. All later ferraris and other sports cars have the wheel much move even with the fenders. Simple fix with spacers.
    Apparently schumacher and ferrari agree, since schumacher's car and the I believe all the series fiorano 355 have spacers