EVO Car of the Year | FerrariChat

EVO Car of the Year

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by bobbyd, Jan 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    For those familiar with EVO: just read the article.

Very well written as usual. Pista finished 6th out of the final eight contenders, with the McLaren 600LT the winner.

Basically they feel that while the Pista is ballistic fast it lacks tactility and is not visceral enough in just plain fast road driving. Plus they knocked it's sound compared to NA Ferrari 's.

So while they laud it as an impressive feat of engineering it is not one of their favorites.

I'm sure Ferrari Italy will be on the phone to them ...

2. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Can you post a copy?

3. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Full list of contenders? Thanks

4. BarryK

BarryK Formula 3

Dec 17, 2016
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Barry K
    Alpine A110
    BMW M2 Competition
    Ferrari 488 Pista
    Ford Fiesta ST
    McLaren 600LT
    Porsche 911 GT2 RS
    Renault Megane RS Cup
    Volkswagen Up GTI

As you say well written, but I am still surprised that the Pista came so low down.

5. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Wasn't it already posted & discussed three weeks ago in (surprise surprise) the Pista thread ?

Gh21631, REALZEUS, Shadowfax and 2 others like this.
  6. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Evo loves Mac, however in this case they are probably right about 600LT being better than Pista.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I have driven both. The 600LT has about as much soul and personality as a small soap dish (not to mention its ugly as hell).

The fact that they rated Pista lower than the Ford Fiesta should let you know about the veracity and capability of these "reviewers".

What a joke. On the bright side I do have some extra toilet paper to wipe my ass on now.

8. This is like déjà vu all over again.

REALZEUS likes this.
  9. F140C

F140C Formula 3

Nov 25, 2016
    Piedmont
    Full Name:
    Marco
    For real? o_O

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. IPO1

IPO1 F1 Rookie

Dec 23, 2015
    Truth hurts sometime Mark ;) Fiesta's are hot.

Enjoy the Pista and I was just waiting for someone to be triggered lol.

dmark1 and Boomhauer like this.
  11. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    Price had a lot to do with it. Pista is seriously overpriced, especially once you start adding the exterior carbon bits that were originally supposed to be no cost options. Most of us still don't care.

12. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

LOL, love that Fiesta! Especially with the spinners.

SoCal to az and IPO1 like this.
  13. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

When did PRICE of a car start influencing a review of its capabilities. Dumb.

Gh21631, stavura and 09Scuderia like this.
  14. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    It has to do when comparing cars of different market segments, otherwise (unless a manufacturer completely fails) the most expensive car would always win - of course it is better in absolute terms (and it's not an achievement in itself).
    The cars are not strictly assessed against each other, they are also assessed against what they are supposed to achieve in their own market segment.
    One may argue that cars of different segments should not be compared, but as soon as they are it's completely understandable that a lower category car get a better ranking.

Motorwerks, r00t61 and boobernackle like this.
  15. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    #15 boobernackle, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Seriously? Bang for buck, value, etc. have been measures of reviews for decades. This article is clearly an example, not saying I agree with the positioning, just where they're coming from.

A $400,000 car isn't expected to be twice as good as a $200,000 one, but it better be significantly better, which EVO feels isn't the case with the Pista.

LVP488 likes this.
  16. bobbyd

bobbyd Formula Junior

Nov 17, 2003
    Price was not a factor in the rankings is my understanding. Absolute speed or performance is only one factor this publication terms as "EVO" ness.

The Pista finished 6th not for lack of speed or performance.

As has been said many times before, in a street car "how fast do you need to go"?

Gullwing likes this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    If you leave out the Porsche, for the price of a Pista , you can purchase all 6 of the other competitors.

kandi likes this.
  18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yep, they of all people know what the true value of their cars are

kandi likes this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I finally read the report. On the face of it, the results may appear to be absurd. How can the latest Ferrari creation that is almost unobtainable and when it is, the price exceeds 1/2 million dollars, be rated below mass market vehicles that sell for less than 1/10 the cost? Judging by this review and others like CH's, there appears to be a common thread of thought, that while the Pista is a masterful piece of automotive engineering, it is lacking a fundamental component that defies objective measurement and quantification, namely, driver involvement and usability. The cars that were rated higher than the Pista, were slower, not as technically capable but they had that magical ingredient that makes driving a thrilling and compelling experience. The Pista was judged to be lacking that raw experience, the thrillingly wild ride. "There wasn't the grittiness and tactility to draw you in and make you feel involved." In other wards, the Pista, notwithstanding its speed, grip and other technical capabilities, is rendered as excessively clinical.

If these reviews are accurate, the Pista seems to be a clear departure for Ferrari in the evolution of a standard model to a more track focussed car, i.e 360 Stradale, F430 Scuderia, 458 Speciale, which have been heralded as models that are the epitome of engendering emotion, excitement and rawness. Unfortunately, I doubt I will have the opportunity to drive the Pista so that I can form my own opinion.

Motorwerks likes this.
  20. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    OK, after reading this valuable review by EVO, I have decided to cancel my Pista order and get a VW instead :D;)

stavura, dmark1, Gh21631 and 3 others like this.
  21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The Fiesta would be a better choice as the Volkswagen was 7th best.

LVP488 likes this.
  22. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    #22 kandi, Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    :D LOL I don't think that even the Fiesta would suffice to wipe away the tears after loss of the Pista order. Even according to EVO ranking. That's too funny :D.

@MuratC - Do you have the Pista or Pista Piloti on order?

23. MuratC

MuratC Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2014
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Hi Kandi,

I skipped Pista Piloti even though I was eligible to get one. It was just going to be too expensive (>100K Euros on top of regular Pista) with the unbelievable taxes I have to pay here and obviously just a different livery was not worth it for me. So I went with the regular Pista and expect to have it in 2-3 weeks.

24. kandi

kandi Formula 3

Jun 27, 2014
    Thank you, I do believe the same, the Pista is good enough even without the special livery. Congrats! Enjoy your Pista soon!

25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yeah when I look at the Ferrari Pista side by side with the FORD FIESTA that’s what I’m thinking....it’s not near as thrilling.

The only thing clinical here is the reviewer ....as in “clinically insane”.