What's For Dinner? | Page 386 | FerrariChat

What's For Dinner?

Discussion in 'Drink, Smoke, and Fine Dining' started by agup48, Apr 7, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

@PureEuroM3 , your taters inspired me to make some. THANK YOU! I put a twist on them along with the usual coconut milk, lemon, salt and acv, by adding kale, garbanzos, bitters, bacon, and cashew yogurt. These I’m sure will be served for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

PureEuroM3 and NbyNW like this.
  2. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Looks great. And yeah dicing onions that way is the only way to go, fast, no tears, no muss, no fuss. I don't think I learned that from him but it was probably a tv chef many moons ago. :)

3. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    I have never thought of adding stuff to mashed potatoes other than the normal, butter/milk maybe chives or garlic or sour cream. Was watching some Irish chef the other day who mixed in broccoli or something that got me thinking. Yours look pretty good too even if I'm not totally sure about all the ingredients. ;)

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    You know I did! Just once though. What I did after was put a cover on the pan and every time it got real smokey inside I went to the patio and opened it up. Let the smoke out and the pan is still cooking. Repeat as needed.

I'm going to give it another try today and get a better cook. That piece was my first attempt as warmup really for today with a temp that hit medium well - well done. It was still tasty but I want a little more red inside.

I may be making a little something else as well today!

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    How did I inspire that?!!? You knocked it out of the park. That looks really good and I woulda have never thought of putting Kale inside.

I simply put potatoes into water and smashed them after :)

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Just started the chicken enchilada soup. Setting on high until I leave for my open house around 1, then will turn to low until I get home.

PureEuroM3 likes this.
  7. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tom,

We have taters everywhere tonight!

That is a might first attempt at that hunk of meat. The crisp on the outside looks tasty.

My lady would also be looking at that doneness. Awesome looking dish.

8. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Tom,

You always seem to have a wholesome/homestyle soup going. Looks amazing! Reminds me of my mom and her delicious home made chicken noodle soup.

I don't make soup. Do you have any recipes stored away or do you have some online I can check?

I would love to learn more than just Chili as the lady likes soup.

9. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Oh ya! I need to get this tex mex feel coming to Canada.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  10. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I'm a huge fan of his cooking. This one will be tried shortly...

11. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Definitely do that. You should go back a page or two and check out the guys doing enchiladas that look great. And go grab some skirt steak and cook it like you did the New York strip. It'd be excellent.

First try of this. I don't remember ever using enchilada sauce on anything before I cooked. The interesting thing will be adding milk and cheese at the end. Although the real recipe calls for heavy cream, but trying to keep it somewhat healthy. I've gotta get back on track.

12. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    LOL. If smoke alarm went off, you're doing it right!

Our house is old, built well before the open kitchen concept became a thing, so I can close doors to kitchen, open windows and use a box fan to move the smoke that escapes the stove exhaust on the occasions that I have cooked steaks indoors...T

13. Streetsurfer

Streetsurfer Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2015
    near Chicago
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Yours looked so good with the skin, which is what I do (I seldom peel anything but for citrus, squash, or other thick skins-not carrots, beets, spuds, ginger ot turmuric). And I’d rather just have a partial mash than real creamy. I too have been really inspired by this thread and think it has helped me in my diet and health issues.

THANK YOU ALL FOR SHARING YOU TALENTS!

14. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Did a beef dip at local bistro. It was good. I might do A&W tonight, craving their onion rings. Canadian A&W is separate from the American company, the only thing the same is the root beer. We still have the original menu.

15. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I'm going to read back on that soon. saw it but didnt have time to review the cooking steps.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Check your local grocery store for ready to go dry soup mixes. Whole Foods has a bunch and sure others do to. You add the meat or fresh ingredients... follow the instructions on the bag. Most are really good. Watch the seasoning mix packaged with some of them as usually lots of salt.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

18. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Chili made with beef. About 5” of snow so far so perfect day for it! Forgot to tell the wife so she didn’t pick up buffalo. Standard recipe with beans. Haven’t spiced it up with heat - have to do that with my serving. Wife isn’t into heat as much as me.

Just starting to cook down.

Looking good bubbling away!

SCFerrari, TexasF355F1 and tomc like this.
  19. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Looks more like stew to me.:p

Looks good.

I must be crazy to think snow soubds good right now.

20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Lol. You're the reigning F-chat chili purist!
    T

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  21. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I love making soup! Especially when it's cold out. It's a good way to use what's excess in the fridge. To be honest, I just wing it most of the times, based on what is in fridge, freezer and pantry. Sometimes, I'll just check, see what ingredients I have and then Google those ingredients for soup recipe ideas, and go from there.

T

22. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We go for the chunky version. It’s like pizza... all are good - well, most are good. Gotta have standards, right?

Hope the snow goes away quickly yet more this coming weekend and think I heard more than this.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This is a great suggestion. Also, keep onions, celery and carrots handy, and you're good to go. Then, you can build up a repertoire of tasty soups for your lady, with less hump-busting, and once you get results you like, improvise off of those...T

24. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
  25. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    So...there is an old phrase in the wine-collecting hobby that goes; "there are no great wines, only great bottles" (because once a great wine ages, the variation from bottle to bottle can be immense).

I have long adapted it to beef; "there are no great butchers/sources of beef, only great cows."

This week illustrates it all too well...you may recall we had a great piece of dry aged prime beef last weekend. Yesterday we had the same cut, same size, same amount of aging, from the same butcher...but it was "meh". Texture was average, flavor was lacking, with no dry aged beefiness to it. I'll post pics, but it was "meh" at best. You will see I totally over-cooked it too. I pulled it at 120F and rested it unwrapped for 5 minutes but it climbed all the way to 134F, and it looked medium or beyond (the thermometer must have been off?). Damn, still mad at myself for that mistake. Served with some mushy roasted brussels sprouts that sucked and some bland sucky mushrooms. All and all, one of my worst cooks.

SCFerrari and TexasF355F1 like this.