812 exhaust valves | FerrariChat

812 exhaust valves

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by junc, Jan 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I usually get my exhaust valves set up to stay open on all my F cars upon delivery . When my 812 arrived my dealer said they couldn't do it because the valves are now controlled electronically. Seems weird since they were always controlled electronically but maybe they are more tied into the cars system now.

The car is still in transit to another home at present so I haven't had a chance to check it out. Has anyone else tried to set up the exhaust valves this way on their 812?

2. ebw001

ebw001 Karting

Jul 10, 2017
    Unfortunately was told the same when I inquired about plugging the valves, but cant remember any specifics beyond what you mentioned.

junc likes this.
  3. hs355

hs355 Karting

Feb 1, 2014
    I had the same idea/question before delivery of my 812.
    After driving the first 500 km I do not miss the switch for the exhaust valves at all.
    I really think the 812 already has a better sound (starting with low revs) than the F12 with open valves. I do not know how they managed that (considering the recent noise reduction requirements), but that is my personal feeling - I don’t need a valve control anymore...
    Please let me know your opinion once you drove your wonderful new 812....

Caeruleus11, klinkman and junc like this.
  4. MrFloppi

MrFloppi Karting

Mar 15, 2014
    Got delivery of my 812 with Capristo back boxes and valve control via remote control. Dealer said valve remote control are also available with OEM back boxes, so it seems to operate the same way as on the F12.

The sound is really great on the 812 with open valves.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

junc, Bundy and Thecadster like this.
  5. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State
    I'm seriously consider having the valve thing done on my 812. I had it on the F12 and it was pretty good.

The way my dealer does it is by adding a little switch to the bottom of the steering column.

6. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    Update. I have received the car and they actually did leave the valves open. Im confused and my sales guy says he must have misunderstood the service people. Not sure what happened but the car sounds and drives great. Im surprised how agile it feels with the rear wheel steering. The transmission is incredible how quick it shifts. One negative so far is the stop start HELE. Its annoying since you have to turn it off each time you start the car.

Im also a tiny bit annoyed that the factory missed putting in red tachometer and diamond stitching headliner but things could be a lot worse. I heard that the first Pista delivered at my dealer is missing the stripe that was ordered. Im sure that owner is far from happy.

Caeruleus11 and Foxmod like this.
  7. GameMaker

GameMaker Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 17, 2014
    WA State

The HELE thing is now forced on everyone by the factory. It's just included now so they can claim better emissions. If anyone has a solution to turn that thing off let me know.

What color tech did you get then if not red? And they forgot the diamond stitching in the headliner? Hopefully my car comes ok.

8. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    The tachometer is the standard black one. Over the years I’ve had two other Ferrari’s arrive with an option missing but I still think they get it right most of the time. Maybe I’m just privy to the few examples out there. Don’t worry about it. The car is great and you will be extremely happy.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Congratulations!!

junc likes this.
  10. j09333

j09333 Formula 3

May 7, 2004
    I asked service about leave HELE as last position instead keep getting back on everytime.
    Simple answer is they can’t.

I guess it is BS because tdf has HELE but it stays at last position. Who knows...

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    I pinned my exhaust valves open, too.

I refer to HELE as “HELL-a”. My service dept also hasn’t found a way to defeat it. Hate that feature & strongly suspect that it’s not beneficial to the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junc and Solid State like this.
  12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    My dealer says they think they can fit the remote for the valves, they have not done one a 812 yet, but they say it looks the same as the F12, I will let you know i the next few weeks.

13. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Perhaps that's why they locate the start/stop button next to the door lock button (at least on my GTC4) :)

14. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    My dealer fitted the Forza Componenti remote exhaust valve opener on the 812 no problem - took them less than an hour. I fit these on all my Ferraris - they are hand made and fantastic quality-never failed in several years of constant use.

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Do you know if they have to take the rear bumper off to fit it?

16. carlom001

carlom001 Formula Junior

Jul 9, 2010
    No they did not have to do that at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Thanks for the update.
    I have been told the dealer can turn the HELE off. I will let you know if thats the case when I get the car in 3 weeks.

18. Alex@TAG

Alex@TAG Formula Junior
    Sponsor

Feb 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Alex@TAGMotorsports
    So a lot of manufacturers are going to the electronic exhaust valves however I'm almost 100% certain that the 812 still uses vacuum actuated valves like the previous models. The simplest solution is going with the Novitec Switchtronic which allows you to open and close the valves from inside the cabin (through a wireless button in the cigarette lighter.) Retail is $690 for the part and its usually in stock. Here is the video of the functionality on a 458 spider.

Message/Email/call us for any questions

19. leopoldo

leopoldo Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2013
    Full Name:
    mark1
    So they opened without installing anything? Are u sure ? Thanks

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    So is that all thats necessary pug in the gizmo into the cigar lighter and then it works?

21. Trax

Trax Formula 3

May 26, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Douglas
    Is this a change you can do yourself on the 812 or doesn't it need to be done by the service guys?

22. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    #22 junc, Jan 25, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    I haven’t opened up the back of the car to look but I was told by service that they left the valves open. Plus the car sounds like it throughout rev range. They usually do so by plugging the vacuum lines that control the valves. They don’t need to install anything other than a screw or something similar to plug those lines.

You can also install a remote component that opens and closes the valves when you want to do so like some of the people on this thread have done.

23. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    My service guys did it . I think it probably can be done by anyone as long as they know how to take apart the diffuser and back of the car but sounds like a bigger project than what I would want to take on.