F430 slow down light | FerrariChat

F430 slow down light

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Ziggy Di Fazio, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Hi everyone so i've had the red slow down light come up in my f430 it comes on at different speeds and rev range i've changed spark plugs and checked coil packs as I had a miss fire code . Went for a drive today and still getting the slow down light comes up even if I don't dive hard any ideas as to what could be causing this issue

2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Its likely a thermocouple or the exhaust ecu

The sdl is there to stop the cats from overheating. This is why when you have a missfire the sdl comes on.

Check your service manual fo locations of the ecu and thermocouples. Usually you have one for each engine bank and sometime one for bypass.

3. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Going to look at the thermocouples this week and do a smoke test to see if there are any air leaks .

4. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    +1 to every word of this.

5. Keith Darby

Keith Darby Karting

Nov 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Keith W. Darby
    Assuming 430 system is similar to 360 here is my post after correcting issue on my 360.

Ok, I cured my SDL problem on my 360 today. You do not need a SD2 or 3 tester or an OBD2 even though both are very helpful. I also made notes to possibly help others. I used logic and common sense. First of all if your SDL comes on after miles of driving it could be legit. (actual engine/ lean condition causing excessive heat) The good thing is that this car has 2 of each component to compare. Step 1) remove left and right covers in engine compartment. 2) visually check wiring, plugs, and connectors on thermocouple ECUs. 3) check input voltage to ECUs with key on. Green (positive) and black (negative) should be battery voltage. Black to purple/ white should be about 5.67 volts. TC plug outlet should be about .832 volts.(with 4 prong plug reattached) 4) check resistance through thermocouples. Should be about 4 ohms cold.
    5) remove probes from cats. With all other connections plugged in back probe black to purple white (signal to ECU that causes SDL to appear) should be about .51 volts cold. Heat probes with propane torch (taking care not to set your car on fire). Voltage should increase rapidly to over 2 volts as probes turn red.
    If any of your readings are out of range replace defective component. Mine was defective bank 1 ECU. After part is replaced drive car 5-10 miles and SDL should go away.

ernie likes this.
  6. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    what are the codes??? if there are none - remove the actuator and check the bleed screws and make sure they aren't loose

7. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Update have changed plugs up stream O2 sensor and checked intake manifold for air leaks still getting slow down light at all different speeds and rev range .

8. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Have you even tried anything that others have suggested?

9. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Ernie I have tried everything everyone has said except for the ECU's only thing I can think of is coil packs or the cat is on its way out even had a mate who's a ferrari master mechanic look at it and he is stumped .

10. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    When the light comes on..does it show yellow or red?

11. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Comes on Red will start to flash I back off and it goes away and so on will come on at any speed and rev range was thinking maybe header on left bank might be starting to crack and making the light come on as the crack opens and closes up with exhaust temperature .

12. rugby

rugby Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Atlanta
    The 430 doesn't have an exhaust ECU. The thermocouple goes directly to the Motronic.

13. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Rugby thanks for the information

14. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Update slowdown light still coming on even when I'm stopped at traffic lights

15. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Check fuel pressure --- Did you scan the car? What are the codes? Without codes you are wasting time.

16. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    Scanned the car no fault codes

17. F60SA

F60SA Karting

Nov 15, 2014
    Do you have any transmission concerns -- Where the transmission remains in a gear or neutral when you try to shift?

18. Ziggy Di Fazio

Jan 10, 2019
    Full Name:
    Sigfrid Di Fazio
    No transmission works perfectly

19. Reedhop1

Reedhop1 Karting

Sep 14, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Reed Hopkins
    Did you ever find out the solution? I have the same issue. Driving fine then all of a sudden SLOW DOWN starts flashing and the engine light starts flashing. I back off a normal drive and about 20 seconds later back to normal but engine light stays on. I have replaced the spark plugs. They needed it but didn't change the slow down. When put on computer it shows the right fuel pump is showing some sign of weakening compared to the left fuel pump. I was hoping someone has figured out what the actual problem is before replacing every component except the engine.