Warranty for a 2013 California | FerrariChat

Warranty for a 2013 California

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by smtrx, Nov 10, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. smtrx

smtrx Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    steven tepper
    My California has 3000 miles. Dealer wants $5000 plus $900 to certify the car for a one year warranty.
    Owned the car for a year with no issues.
    Is it worth it to protect against transmission and top issues?

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. AD211

AD211 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 19, 2017
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Completely up to your level of risk tolerance but for a 2013 you’d probably do well going without. But if you decide you’d enjoy the car more with a little extra security, then go for it. You shouldn’t have to pay more than $4,500 though.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

3. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I’d also probably take the money I would have spent on the new power warranty and stash it back for possible repairs on a 13-14 California, and honestly unless it came with the power warranty I’d probably do the same on earlier California’s as well. But it’s nice going in knowing the possible issues too.

4. woody byrd

woody byrd Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2006
    cary, nc
    Full Name:
    woody byrd
    For five years you only have an average of 600 miles per year. I wouldn't do it. Your expenses would have to exceed $5,900 before you to start to benefit

5. smtrx

smtrx Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    steven tepper
    I bought the car last year with 1500 miles so previous owner was only putting 500 miles a year. I’ve put 1500 miles in the last year.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

6. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    There are many threads on this. It really comes down to your risk tolerance as has been mentioned. The likelihood of having a major problem that is covered by the new power warranty is small but not zero. I do not think that having low mileage is necessarily protective. The only problem That potentially could really hurt is transmission work and roof failure. However the cost of transmission work today is significantly different then it was five years ago. Lastly the new power warranty prices are somewhat flexible and there are people on this board that could probably help you with that if you desire.

I have had a new power warranty for the last three years having gone from 3800 miles to 12,800 miles on my 12 Cali and I am likely upside down on that transaction by $8000. I am however up about 8000 on my FF, so net it’s a wash for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    Get the warranty and DRIVE THE CAR. I’ve put 8700 miles on my Cali in 12 months. No problems and enjoyed every mile.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

tomc and smtrx like this.
  8. smtrx

smtrx Rookie

Oct 25, 2017
    Full Name:
    steven tepper
    Took the car in today for its yearly oil change and decided to get the warranty
    Thx guys for all your input

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  9. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    I think you did the right thing. Unfortunately, low miles is not a predictor whether you will have problems in the future. And now you have peace of mind. If it happens, you can get it fixed under the warranty.

smtrx likes this.
  10. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Congrats. Now drive the heck out of it!
    T

smtrx likes this.
  11. biotequity

biotequity Rookie

Jun 22, 2012
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Michael Taylor
    21,000 on my cali30. Zero issues.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Sweet! My 2011 is about 700 miles short of that total. Post up some pics of your ride...T

13. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    I think you can use the $5,900 in better ways :)
    California is quite reliable, as along as you do your yearly maintenance and stay on top of any issues it should be fine.
    3,000 miles is soo young :)

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  14. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    I think for the most part it’s just peace of mind, though I will say if it were a 2010-12 I would more then likely lean more twards the new power warranty simply because those years, especially the 2010, are more prone to DCT issues and since some dealers only replace the gear box instead of replace the malfunctioning parts $5900 is pretty cheap insurance. But there is a decent chance nothing will happen too. Overall these are very reliable cars.

On a 13 and up I’d be more then likely to gamble and save back a decent repair fund.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  15. Bandit23

Bandit23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

May 28, 2016
    Miami
    true, I faced the same issue when I purchased my 2012 Cali, and i didn't get the warranty ...there a lot of good performance shops these days that can handle repairs less expensive than authorized dealers too.
    My philosophy has been drive the car often, should limit any issues and gremlins....
    good luck

16. Stercrazy

Stercrazy Karting

Sep 29, 2017
    NC and FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Winchester
    I was the guy that said get the warranty and DRIVE THE CAR. I have and will always have a warranty. Had a window motor go out. That’s $1500+ repair. Warranty paid for it. Had a problem with that crappy battery maintainer that comes with the car but in the process had the alternator checked out. It was ok but I found out replacing the alternator was a $2600 repair. Warranty would have covered that too.
    They key is to drive the car, it decreases the likelihood of a problem caused by sitting and exposes problems caused by use. Either way cost per mile decreases as you add miles. Enjoyment is directly proportional to miles driven..
    I’m at 11,000 miles in 15 months.

17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Quoted for truth, and because that's an impressive amount of miles for an F-car.
    T

18. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I just spoke to my dealer as I am due to renew my power warranty. They told me that Ferrari raised the price starting in 2019 from $4,500 to $5,000. Also, they told me that they have discontinued both the $375 credit for renewing while the prior year's warranty was in effect and the $375 if there were no prior claims. Anyone know if that is all true?

19. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    All I know is Steve from boardwalk just posted the warranty details a few days ago on a thread in the 430/360 section and it still had the discounts and the $4500 price tag. So this is certainly news to me would be interesting to know though.

20. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Did paying $4500 for a NPW on my 2014 CPO suck? Yep. Does is suck when I'm carving corners at 80mph, bringing the engine up to redline daily, and constantly retracting the hardtop? Nope. Knowing I have the warranty lets me enjoy the car as it was meant to be enjoyed.

AD211 and tomc like this.
  21. cab2u

cab2u Karting

Nov 19, 2003
    NYC
    I just spoke to Steve from Boardwalk. He took my call, was happy to speak to me, and had no problem at all answering my questions all the while knowing that I was in NY and was not bringing my car to him for service. It is rare to find someone like that in this business. He told me that the power warranty available to me for my 2011 Cali is still $4,500 and the two $375 credits are still available. (there is some sort of new power warranty available to 2012's and newer that can include maintenance after the 7 year free maintenance expires). My dealer will be hearing from me.

tomc and azlin75 like this.
  22. azlin75

azlin75 Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2017
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Shawn Hicks
    Steve is a good dude, and posts here regularly. Boardwalk is top notch.

Avia11, tomc and bludvl like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    I love a happy ending! :D
    T