2020 GT500 | FerrariChat

2020 GT500

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by Nativetroy, Jan 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
  2. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    k wright, rdefabri, LARRYH and 2 others like this.
  3. 09Scuderia

09Scuderia Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2011
    USA
    Full Name:
    Max
    pretty amazing. 650lb feet of torque. Egad

4. SteveA

SteveA Karting

May 21, 2006
    Sandpoint Id
    Full Name:
    Steve Ard
    Square tire car, it will handle on the as well as it looks.

5. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Is it the same flat-plane crank engine as the GT350, only supercharged? Or is it a more traditional engine?

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  7. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    From the C&D article:

Very similar engine with a cross-plane crank and big-ass supercharger.

First crash is going to be on someone's ride home from the dealership.

GuyIncognito, Nativetroy and rdefabri like this.
  8. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    That, or a test drive by a dealer employee.

9. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  10. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The 15 year old inside me absolutely loves it. And thats not an insult, its a compliment.

boxerman, GuyIncognito and werewolf like this.
  11. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I am not in the market to buy anything, at least not for a bit, but more and more lately I keep feeling like DD'ing one of these uber-muscle cars would be a blast. I cannot wait to see how it stacks up against the Camaro ZL1 and Dodge Hellcats/Demons.

flat_plane_eddie and anunakki like this.
  12. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Even if the Mustang didnt quite match the performance, its so much better looking that its the one Id choose.

jrinehart, LARRYH, Boomhauer and 2 others like this.
  13. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    As much as I’d love a stick, I really like that Ford upped the trans to the DCT. Carbon brake option would be cool, it just having carbon wheels sets it apart.
    I look at the GT350 and GT500 as Ford’s version of the GT3 and GT2. One is the perfectly balanced canyon weapon, the the others close to that, but with an engine that hits like a sledgehammer if you’re brave enough.

LARRYH, Davesvt2000 and GuyIncognito like this.
  14. joker57676

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    I'd need to see it in person to really judge. I like the Camaro quite a bit too.

15. werewolf

werewolf F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 29, 2007
    Full Name:
    goodbye
    Personally, i'm loving it.

People will complain about: no manual trans (ok, i'll complain about that too), and too damn heavy

16. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    A couple yrs ago I daily drove a new CTS-V coupe for 2 yrs. What a blast, the hp, aggressive sound and stance was so retro, a throw back to my teenage muscle car years. These new muscle cars has me rethinking my dd. I believe a 'Cuda is due out too...

joker57676 likes this.
  17. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    I daily drive a 2014 GT500, now with 65k miles. It's great. Just a fun, simple car that puts a dumb #ss grin on my face when I bring the revs up and mash the throttle. Yet, the car is docile around town and handles surprisingly well (except on broken pavement) considering the solid rear axle. It's the car I would've wanted in high school, if such a car existed back then. I have to imagine that the new GT500 is going to be even better.

I do like that my car is lighter and has a 6 spd manual trans though.

18. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    The previous GT500 had 630 ft-lbs of torque, so pretty much the same ballpark (and the new GT500 is heavier than the previous version). But now from a 5.2L vs former 5.8L engine.

19. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  20. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Doesn't Audi have a trademark on that grille surround shape? Maybe somebody needs to run for pinks?

crinoid likes this.
  21. galt

galt Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2005
    I may be in the minority--but I think I would actually pick the 350R. Flat plane crank engine with less power--but the benefit is you can hear it sing a little more.

I would be curious how much weight can be taken out of a 350R.

22. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm a big Mustang fan, and have owned a couple, but for some reason, the GT500 just doesn't do a whole lot for me. Part of it is that I feel like it's old hat for manufacturers to slap a blower on a big engine and get a big hp car. I know I SHOULD be impressed by a 700+ hp factory Mustang, but I'm just not... I'm also not fond of the styling of the car: the front end is too busy for me, and I'm not a fan of the blacked out front bumper. I saw a photoshop with it body colored with stripes, and I thought it looked a lot better. I suppose it does set the car apart from other Mustangs though. I'm also not a fan of the wing on the carbon fiber pack. I know it's inspired by the GT4 race car, but it looks out of place to me. I've always thought the 2015+ Mustangs had really clean lines, and the GT500 loses some of those.

With that said, there's still a lot to like here for people that are in the market for a super high hp car. The Brembo equipped Mustangs have great brakes, and I assume the GT500 will be no exception. I also like the fact that they've gone with a dual clutch instead of a torque converter automatic. A manual option would be nice for those interested, but I feel like this type of car is a "numbers car"--something that is so powerful you can't really take advantage of it on the street, so the bench racing numbers are very important, and a dual clutch will help get those 0-60 and 1/4 mile times down. Plus it should be pretty consistent for drag racers.

I personally like the GT350 more, and I think it's a little more special with the Voodoo engine. I'm sure the GT500 would be a blast on the track though!

23. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm with you on the GT350R--I'd even take a regular 350 over the 500. As far as the weight, I suppose it all comes down to what you're willing to live with. The R already has carbon fiber wheels and no back seat, but you could likely take out quite a bit of carpet and sound insulation in the interior and trunk, I suppose.

galt likes this.
  24. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Like the look. A bit Galpin/Fisker in the grille opening. First time no GT500 nomenclature in the rocker panel stripe?

25. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    I like it and prefer it over a bmw m4 but you know its going to have big trouble putting that power down to the ground. why is that always a problem for the domestics? corvette, camaro, mustang, challengers always have extra 100hp over the imports but are slower because they cant keep traction. anyway kudos to ford for 1st dct in American sports car!